Tim has new electronic toy-a pacemaker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Having practiced dentistry for over 30 years before retiring several years ago, I saw many changes come to the profession. Years ago we wore no gloves, masks or protective barriers of any kind. Vital signs were not taken routinely by any dental practitioners other than oral surgeons who planned to use IV sedation. All that is changing since the recognition of the consequences of high blood pressure and high pulse rates. Many conscientious dental offices are now not only taking steps to reduce the risks of cross contamination between patients, staff and other patients, but are also checking basic vital signs. For many patients, it can be a life saving/altering experience. And fortunately, it's not just a California thing.

Marsha,

We are hoping Tim will be himself again shortly. What a lucky break that nothing happened to him on the roof!!

What a lucky break that nothing happened to him on the roof!!

That's exactly what I was thinking, Jim.

Marsha, it sounds like it's turned out well so now relax and both of you get some rest.  You're so correct - life can change in an instant and we need to enjoy it while we can!

Hugs and loads of good health wishes to Tim!

ArdraF

The thing I keep thinking about is trusting the pacemaker and just how often if he takes a wrong step or looks funny that I'm going to react.  We have entered a new era.

The science behind those little machines is amassing. They are long lasting and reliable. The worst is over, Go was with you both.
Jim

One company I worked for acquired another chip company who's major customer was a pacemaker manufacturer in Miami. I visited that company, and the best news is that they were acquired by a major pacemaker manufacturer, who subsequently closed them down. As a manufacturing guy, I was appalled at the conditions I saw on the manufacturing line.

And he has joined our other bionic framily!  ;)  It seems like there are getting to be more all the time.

ArdraF

As far as the reference to socialized medicine and Canada and the way this country is going, my mother in England has a friend who has just received a pacemaker at 101 years old.  One up for socialized medicine! ;)

Marsha and Tim:

Don't know how I missed this when is first "aired".  So happy to hear it was caught early before some tragedy struck.  So happy all is well now!

Daisy

Thanks again, everybody for your thoughts, prayers and good wishes. 

We go to the cardiologist tomorrow.  Tim is still trying to assimilate all of this and trying to figure out if/how this will change our lives.  I think we are just in an adjustment period, especially since it came out of the blue.  The shingles have begun not to hurt so much, and his chronic cough is nearly gone.  So, we are on the mend.

Marsha~

Well. . .it is better to have this happen without an acute cardiac event! Time will find out if he can do cardiac rehab and join me as I tone up some of my muscles.

Roof work is for roofers and AC repairmen, not mature much loved husbands or wives! :)

I guess I better get that shingles vaccination. . .

trying to figure out if/how this will change our lives.

One thing you'll suddenly start seeing a lot is those signs on the doors of retailers that warn people with pacemakers - microwave on premises.  Can you still use your microwave with Tim in the same room?  I suspect you'll be learning some DOs and DON'Ts.

Otherwise, I'm glad to hear he's on the mend.

After John Spiller and Jerry's mother got terrible shingles we got vaccinated while we could.  Spiller told Jerry if he knew how bad it would be he'd have paid $1,000 to get one.  They're expensive ($250?) but worth it to avoid the pain and misery.

ArdraF

Ardra,

The microwave thing is no longer an issue.  The doctor told him, if he climbed into the microwave and turned it on, it "might" do something.  :D  Believe me, we have a list of questions to ask, one plans to ask, the other's job will be to write down the answers.

We live about a 1 mile from a hydroelectric plant...gonna ask about that too!

I need to call the insurance to see if they pay for the vaccine, it's $250 out  here too. 

Bob, there was no damage to the heart and he has no blockage, so hopefully it's a matter of just adjusting to the pacemaker.  We will learn more tomorrow. 

Marsha~

Re the signs about microwaves in use - that's interesting.  I still see signs occasionally.  I suppose if he had a old one it might be an issue.

Insurance doesn't cover the vaccine  Medicare doesn't cover it, therefore the insurance companies don't cover it either.  Strictly out of pocket.  Doesn't seem logical, but....

ArdraF

Medicare Part D does cover shingles vaccinations.

Interesting!  They didn't when we got them a year or two ago.  Glad to see it changed 'cause it's not a fun thing to go through.

ArdraF

Kind of stupid to cover it under Part D (prescriptions) but not under Part B. But, hey, it's the government !

Wendy

The microwave thing is no longer an issue.  The doctor told him, if he climbed into the microwave and turned it on, it "might" do something.

I've been living with a pacemaker for about five years.  What the pacemaker technicians have told me is not to stand near or use an electric welder. Other than that, they say "no problem".  I think it's prudent to avoid any intense electric or magnetic field. Also I go around the metal detectors at the airport and take the pat down (the pacemaker would set the detector off anyway).

Ardra,  Our insurance pays for it and considers it  "preventative".  I know of a few others where their insurance pays for the shingles vaccine too.  One couple is on Medicare, so yep, I guess things have changed.

Bob, Tim is getting his pacemaker "ID" card for the airports.  Now, when we get together with you, we can talk about Tiffins and pacemakers.  It'll be fun.  ;) 

Re the metal detector at the airports; if it's a cute girl, he might like the pat down better than the metal detector thing anyway.... ;D

Marsha~

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom