Time for Soup Season Again!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jaspers mom

If speaking with you .... front of my computer
Here it is, that time of the year, when persons we care about begin to sneeze and cough to the point of *past extraction*? ? That being as it is we have been hit with the BUG in our household.? SOUP!? That is the answer!? ?It has always been the answer .... hasn't it?
This theory may be warped on my part.? Perhaps the sick person gets well so he or she doesn't have to eat any more -- of the soup made with love-- well, one can only hope for the best and share recipes while waiting.?

;D ;D

This can be divided.? The Recipe serves eight "soup as appetizer" people.?

4 cups of water
3 cups of chicken broth - low fat and sodium is workable
4 stalks of celery - chopped up well? ( I actually pull some of the fiber before hand -- you know, the stringy part )
12 or more Green Onions, Chopped along with tops
2 Cups of Peeled and well chopped tomatoes
4 Good Potatoes Skineed and diced
1 Bay leaf
1 TBS Salt -- More upon taste if desired
1/2 tsp Thyme
2 1/2 cups of Shredded cabbage
1/2 Cup of Shredded Broccoli Cole Slaw Mix --- Found prepackaged

1 to 2 cups of Cooked Chicken -- This can also be found pre cooked with seasonings or not.
? ? ? ? ? The chicken should be in cubes and I suggest they be quite lean as the Chicken Stock will serve as seasoning as well.
1 Tbsp of Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp of Sugar
2 Smidgens of Cilantro Chopped
2 Cloves of Garlic Crushed
1 Tsp of Soy Sauce
4 drops of La Yu Hot Chili Oil? * Optional
2 Sprinkles of Crushed Hot Pepper * Optional
Ground Black Pepper --- To Taste
1 Infinate Package of Love and Devotion --- Found on all "heart shelves".? Right next to Elbow Grease.

Start by combining in a 3 - 4 quart pot --- Water, Chicken Broth, Chopped Tomatoes, Celery Stalk, green onion, Potatoes, Bay leaf, Salt, Thyme, Caraway Seed, Shredded Cabbage,? Garlic Cloves, Soy Sauce, Hot Chili Oil and Crushed Hot Peppers.

Bring to a boil

Simmer from 30 minutes to 1 hour.?

Add Cabbage, Chicken, Lemon Juice, and Sugar.? ?

If you prefer that the cabbage/broccoli mix be cooked longer this is permissible adding those prior to the Other items.

After all ingredients have been combined, allow to cook to your taste(s) ------ Recall the old saying being some like it hot, some like it cold, some like it in the pot 10 days old.? ?Feel free to modify amounts the combination is delicious and far be it from me to squelch creative cookery.? Remove the bay leaf and --- Sprinkle with abandon the seasoning from the love and devotion package.? Stir well and Serve.

Dani? (Jasper's Mom)

Additionally, Even with the Sugar I would guestimate this recipe on the Diabetic Exchange Scale of about 2 to? :-*3 Vegetable and One Very Lean Meat.

Try it, and tell me what you think.?

Sounds yummy. I'm sure to give it a try.

Here's my favorite no hassle vegetable soup.

1 can mixed vegetables, drained
2 vegetarian or chicken bouillon cubes
4 cups water

Bring the water to a boil, toss in the bouillon cubes. Bring back to boil and stir in the vegetables.

That's it.

Here's a vegetable beef crockpot soup recipe I created a couple of weeks ago.

1 lb. chuck roast cut in small pieces
1 onion chopped
1-14.5 oz. chopped tomatoes
3 cups water
4 beef bouillon cubes (I have not experimented with low sodium or low fat)
Parsley
Thyme
1 can kernel corn (drained and rinsed)
1 can lima beans (drained and rinsed)

Put first 7 ingredients in crockpot.  Cook on low for about 8 hours.  Add drained and rinsed corn and lima beans and cook on high for about 30 minutes.

I serve with Tabasco sauce as we like to spice it up to individual taste!

Thanks folks. I just added the recipes to the forum library.

Here's another one for those of us watching fat, carbs, and calories (and I'm ALWAYS watching all of those).

WEIGHT WATCHERS ZERO POINT VEGETABLE SOUP

Makes 9 cups

6 cups broth (I use vegetable but suspect chicken would also work well...home made, canned, box, or water and bouillon cubes)
Cooking spray
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves minced garlic)
1/2 cabbage, chopped (bagged slaw is fine if you want to save time)
1/2 pound frozen green beans
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 large zucchini, diced

Spray a Dutch oven with cooking spray and heat on MEDIUM HIGH. Add the carrots, onion and garlic and cook for about 5 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients EXCEPT the zucchini and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce the heat to MEDIUM and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the beans are tender. Add the zucchini and cook until the zucchini are tender. Serve and enjoy!

I sometimes add diced potato, canned corn (drained and rinsed), canned kidney beans (drained and rinsed). But, of course, all of those add a point or two.

Keep 'em coming folks; They're all going in the library.

Well, I do have an Anderson's Split Pea Soup clone recipe if anyone's interesting......and it does tie in to another thread here :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom