Time it took to adjust to full time living

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello all!  I am curious to know how long it took you to adjust to full time living in your RV?  I know I will get a wide variety of answers.  I want to full time when I retire, have never owned an RV before.  Currently thinking I will get a used, gas, 30' - 35', motor home.

SeilerBird said:
About a half an hour.

Haha  Winner already.

Good topic, I'm interested in hearing some more answers myself.  We've got about six years before we are no longer chained to the jobs.

You have never RV'd before. Are you alone? Do you have family?
These will help determine if you will ever enjoy RVing.
My wife has family so I fly her home every Christmas to be with family and we come to Syracuse every summer to be with her family.
Me I would stay out west if  I could but her companionship and love out weigh the downsides.
So I make the trip

You should hire one for a week or so if you can afford it.  At least you can get a feel for what it is like. 

Are you planning to move around the country or stay longer term in one or several locations?

Will you tow a car or not?

Alpena Jeff said:
lmao! I have so many responses. You Jackie are the coolest chick ever!

Jeff, she meant rent an RV, not a family  ;)

First, decide if it's even possible. You need to stitch together a budget for travel, food, gas, RV parks, repairs, and fun (just to name a few).  Some folks live on a shoe string budget and need to spend many nights in WalMart parking lots and BLM land just to make ends meet. Some only like high end RV resorts. 

It is very flexible, but it's rarely "cheap".  Decide on your disposable income, and that will give you an idea of how possible it may be.

SeilerBird said:
About a half an hour.

Wife and I had planned on it for.. Many years.  When we finally got to it... i'm not sure it even took that long... but well. Sounds good to me

1 Hour was time from Old Home to Campground.

American vs. British English.  In America, you hire a person and rent an object.  I'm not sure where the dividing line is in the Olde Country.

Loved it from the start.  It took a month or so to get used to driving my home around, however. First thing I learned was the rule that all chocolate goes in the refrigerator.  Second was that anything not glued down will fall and roll around on the floor.  I think most of the first week or so was punctuated by hearing clunks and crashes as stuff fell and cabinet doors flew open and closed.  (Difficulty with traveling solo is that you cannot tell what has fallen until you stop.)  Biggest culprit was a supposed pantry with doors that opened as I was driving, so I installed shelf railings, which lessened the food on the floor issues.

Also learned early that stuff in cupboards has to be in bins or containers of some sort or you will have to reorganized stuff every time you stop. 

Anyway, you get into a routine quickly and now I don't know how I would live someplace where you can take long showers and run the taps to brush your teeth as long as you want to! 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom