Time to pick a brand - 5th Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waterdog

Well, we have decided that we want a 5th Wheel for sure, rather than a motorhome or TT.? We also have decided that we want one from 31 to 34 feet..no more, no less.? Thank Goodness, at least that part is over.? We have all the good folks on this forum to thank for our decisions.? They are based on lots of good information we have read that has been posted here over the last many months.

Now that we are ready to invest a lot of money into a 5th Wheel that we will be using a LOT, towing quite a few miles every year, and so, we very much need to narrow the field of choices down to a manageable 2 or 3 from our master list that you see below.? We have looked and looked at all the various brands and models..and for OUR living and traveling purposes we have selected models from these manufacturers.? We ask your help in choosing just '2 or 3' of these fine manufactures.? Please be frank and tell us your reasons.? We are looking to buy sometime in February or March.? Thanks again, Rog & Phyl.

Opps...forgot the list:

Teton....Carriage/Carri-Lite....Hitchhiker....Titantium....King of the Road....Cardinal...Travel Supreme...Montana...Jayco Designer & Legacy

Although we don't have a 5th wheel I think if I was to get one it would be the Teton.  From everythin I have heard including owners they are probably a fore runner in the best built line.  They are heavy though from what I hear.  But very high quality.

The Tetons are probably the very top of the line (and priced to match), but I would give strong consideration to the Carrilite by Carriage. We know some folks who fulltime in one and it is a very impressive rig.  Hitchiker and Titanium would be on my short list too. 

All your brand choices are good ones, so I would probably let floor plan, amenities and "the deal" be the deciding factor among them. Trying to split hairs over which is better is likely an exercise in futility. Let personal preference prevail.

I just have to say that I love the Tetons, the quality is unmatched. The price is a little higher than others but the performance of the RV is supreme. ;D

New guy here. Had a motorhome for awhile and from the get-go was not really satisfied. Over the past 2 to 3 months, we have been looking at 5th wheels. After much looking around, weighing the cost vs what we would get, we ended up with an Everest 364Q. Initially, we wanted to stay in the 31' to 34' range, but compared to what the extra 2 feet provided, we went with the 36' (actually 37' from pin to bumper). Before we picked it up, I was having nightmares about pulling it as between my new truck (2006 F350 DRW Crew Cab - 23') and the trailer, we would be around the 56' mark. My concerns were unfounded before we had gone a half mile from the dealer. Couldn't get me to downsize or go back to a MH for all the tea in China (ha, just gave away my age).

Larry

I agree about wanting a 5th Wheel over a motorhome, Larry.  We have had a 1977 Minnie Winnie 25ft motorhome since I bought it new.  Never used it much, except for some arrowhead hunts down in Baja.  Never enough room for us..even though we are only two.

The unit we buy, coupled with the tow vehicle AND a boat behind the Fiver will max us out at about 75 feet total.  This is the max. allowed in any state and provnce for triple towing...Baja Sur, Mexico could care less.  Some states triple towing is not allowed and quite a few have a max length of from 45 to 65 feet.  Thank goodness the western and mid-western states are a little more lenient.  Looked at a couple today...Fivers, that is...we are getting closer to picking our dream cabin-on-wheels.  See you in the Great Outdoors.

I favor the Carriage line.  These are actually built for full timing.  Very nicely done and at a reasonable price. 

That's exactly why they make different kinds.  Hate pulling something bigger than what I'm driving, hence this is our 5th MH. 6000# vehicle and 15000# pushing me, no thanks,especially going down a twisting, winding, hilly road or on ice. Been there done that.  Besides I like comfort when we reach our destination as we drive a Lincoln "Town Car" that we pull in an enclosed trailer alone with other goodies we don't seem to part with.  Just plain spoiled, I guess.  But at 71, if I can't enjoy myself now I'm in serious doo=doo, for the future.

Good suggestions, one and all.? Thanks for the input and interest in our choices of RV's.? A pretty good dilemna to be in...choosing an RV!? What could be better?? ?

Albslb2, your choice of a large motorhome pulling the town car is a good one...but how would we pull the boat, too, and still have a run-around vehicle for making those fishing trips from base camp?? I am afraid that we are stuck with these 3 items:? Tow vehicle-5th Wheel-trailered boat.? We will be right at 75 feet long.? You see, we need to bring some toys with us, too!!? This length restriction is what keeps us down to a 32ft Fiver.

We now are about 90% sure that the tow vehicle will be a 2006 Dodge 3500 Ram QuadCab diesel? with 3.73 rear end.? And I already have the boat and trailer.? So that's 'almost' two down and one to go....that being the perfect 5th Wheel.? So many RV's..So little time.  We have narrowed the makes down to just a few.

What do you all consider to be the best site to find an 5th Wheel for sale on the Internet?

Waterdog

Just  a thought here; if you change to an inflatable like a Zodiac you still could fish and have a longer trailer. Additionally you wioll not be concerned about backing up or road restrictions.

Nelson

Also they make double decker open trailers for autos and boats.  Don't know a brand or price of everything like that but have seen them on the road numberous times.  20ft Bass boats above on a hydaulic lift and a Mercury below on 3 different occasions and one time an Olds and another a Jeep below

I've vacillated over the 2-tier trailer issue quite a bit. The trailer would have to be pretty big and sturdy (read heavy) to carry our Suburban and bass boat. I'd be over my max tow limit and GCWR.

Just came back and read the above posts.? Thanks for the ideas about a Zodiac v.s. our boat, and the double-decker haulers.? Sadly, I am afraid neither will work for us.? I have owned and used Zodiacs before and they are great for a ship-to-shore situation or a close to home adventure in a protected bay, but are not what we need for our style of offshore-fishing...plus the fact that they are just not the most comfortable boats around!!..especially in a heavy chop.? We will have to stay with our special walleye boat..an 18ftr. Yarcraft backtroller, but thanks anyway.

As for those double-deckers...whew....we have seen them and they are monsters!? Way too much weight and length for us!? I guess we are stuck with our original idea of double-towing as the most practical way of getting our vehicle, home, and boat to a location at the same time.

Our search for a good 32fter or so has narrowed down a lot thanks to all the good info garnered on this forum.? We are down to a selection of 3 units.?We will let everyone know what we have bought!

Also we are almost ready to purchase the new Dodge 3500 diesel.

? All we need  to decide on:?

4X4 v.s. 2X4? (we have a  1999 Dodge 2500 diesel 4X4 now and seldom use the feature...even though I am a hunter/fisherman)

manual v.s automatic transmission? (I am a little leary of an automatic failing, but don't really like shifting manual anymore)

dually v.s. single wheel? (hate the training wheel look...and the extra fuel, tire costs, problems of parking, car washes, etc.)

I think we can manage with a 3.73 ratio rear end....unless the 4.10 would not increase fuel costs or whatever else?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom