Tire and battery Costs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motojavaphil

MH are a new deal to me.  We are looking at a 2002 Travel Supreme, love it!  The tires have another year or two in them but the batteries I have no knowledge as to their life span.  What do tires cost and batteries cost?  What other expenses on a 5 year old rig can I reasonably anticipate?  I will be having a mechanic look it over and of course refer to the library for the checklist.  As I get closer I will get more specifics.  I will want the filter and fluid changes done..Cost?

Any help will be appreciated...Phil

Tire cost will depend on the size.  I recently paid about $500/each for Goodyear G670RV 275/70R22.5 tires, mounted and balanced.  Battery cost depends on the size and type.  6V golf cart batteries from a discount store (like Costco or Sam's) may be as low as $50 while top of the line AGM batteries like Lifeline may be as much as $150 or more for a 6V deep cycle.  Tell us what size tires you have and what size and how many batteries you have and we can be more specific.

Phil

As mentioned before, I have a 2002 TS. The tire size is 275/80 22.5 LRH. I just replaced my 5 year old tires with new Michelin XZA3s, costing about $550 each out the door. With Goodyear's strike settled, more availability and better prices may be out there now. I still have my original chassis batteries (2), but new ones at Freightliner run about $70-$100 each. I changed my coach batteries to AGMs (4) about 4 years ago and they are like new. Not sure how much they are today, maybe around $150 each. Trojan T-105s run about $75-$100.  Fluids and filter changes are all over the place. If the seller has receipts for them, you only need to change once a year. Oil change and lube, $100 -$400 +/-.Tranny should be every year or two and that will be around $300-$450.

Ned, I think Bernie pretty well put it out there.  Thanks Bernie for the info, it is exactly what I needed.  Are you working thru the dealers for the tires?  Obviously I cannot drive over to Costco or Discount Tire or can I?  Never having had a bus, will I be limited to the Camping Worlds etc., for PM and replacement parts?

Shop the truck tire dealers for price.  Just be sure the date codes are recent and all tires should have the same date.  Same for batteries.  Once you decide what type of battery you want (flooded cell or AGM) then shop the dealers for price.  If you can get AGM batteries from an alternative energy dealer, you may be exempt from the sales tax in your state.  I know that's true in AZ, and may apply in some other states.

motojavaphil said:
Are you working thru the dealers for the tires?  Obviously I cannot drive over to Costco or Discount Tire or can I?  Never having had a bus, will I be limited to the Camping Worlds etc., for PM and replacement parts?

Phil

When I needed my new tires, I found the best price to be at CW, they had an out the door sale, mounting, balance and taxes. They had to order the tire size but got the wrong load range, had to wait another week for everything to be right. Otherwise, I'd stay away from CW for PMs. You can call Spartan Motors Customer Service for the closest Spartan shop to you and they can do all chassis/drive train work for you. I you become a member of the Spartan Chassis Club you can order parts from the Spartan catalog at show prices and free shipping. Otherwise, parts are readily available at truck service centers, NAPA, etc.

It is unlikely that Cosco or Discount have the right sizes available. For sure neither has the equipment to mount those sizes.

Back
Top Bottom