Tire issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saab guy

Hello all, I just had my rear tires changed on 02 HR DP. I had Goodyear 22.5s and went to sumatomo22.5 now left side tires are close to wheel well while right side is a couple of inches away. Any thoughts?

Saab guy

Did you go back and ask the installer about it?

Were the previous tires centered correctly?
Yes had them come back out and check. He said that the sumos have more tread and are a small bit wider than the Goodyear’s so I may go back to another set of Goodyear’s

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
He said that the sumos have more tread and are a small bit wider than the Goodyear’s
That doesn't explain why one side is different than the other. I think he is blowing smoke at you.

Are the Sumitomo's the identical size - section width as well as diameter? If so, there should be no more than a fraction of an inch difference in actual width. and both sides would be the same. What is the full size designation, e.g. 295/70R22.5?

Saab guy

Both sets of tires were 275/70R22.5 so they should be the same on both sides of coach.I was thing of bringing it up to my regular shop to check it out as we a supposed to head out on Friday.

Utclmjmpr

I would also look carefully at the distance between the duals,, ( they should be the same.) the "stud extenders" may have been left off by some do do with no experience with dual wheels..>>>Dan

Ray-IN

Just relating my experience with new tires. I had Goodyear G670, same size 275/70R22.5 that were 8 yrs old. Bought new Sailun S637 tires in 2017-same size. The Sailun tire tread is approx. 1" wider than the old worn-down Goodyears were, but the width of the bulge in the tires are the same only the Sailun sidewall and tread are more straight up and down than the Goodyears.
Grab your tape measure and begin the comparison.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Sumitomo lists the "section width" of that tire as 0.5" wider than the Goodyear G670 of the identical size. 10.9" for the Sumitomo, 10.4 for the GY. The GY spec is for mounting on a skinny 7.5" wheel, though, while the Sumi specs is based on an 8.25" wheel. That can make a few tenths difference.

Regardless, both sides ought to be identical. Something is fishy!

Top Bottom