Tire issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BinaryBob

Moderator Emeritus
Got the MH back home from Illinois with no problems. The next morning found the tire pressure dangerously low on all wheels.
Rear duals were about 30 psi. Fronts were 50. Strangly, the tires did not look particularly deflated.
I filled it to 85 on the rears and 90 on the fronts per the Itasca sticker.
1. Do you think I've ruined these tires?
2. I assume the metal flow thru valve stems/extenders are leaking. What are the steps to correct this situation?
I'm just not familiar with duals.

Thanks!

How much damage, if any, you did to the tires depends on how long they were run at the lower pressure.

First you have to find out where the leaks are, before blaming the stems or extenders.  It seems very strange that all tires would all be leaking at the same time, and at about the same rate.  I would first check the gauge against a known, good, gauge to rule out bad readings.

Do you have a TPMS?

That was going to be a follow up post.
I am going to invest in a TPMS and need recommendations. Preferably a hard wired or battery operated monitor. Don't really want another accessory power plug mucking up the dash.
As far as the readings, I'm confident they're accurate. The extenders allow me to use a good dial gauge I trust.
Worst case scenario - these were run 230 miles on low pressure, however I'm pretty sure it was a gradual decrease.

The dealer tech checked them. They looked OK, but that doesn't mean much.
Do you mean linked for simultanious fill? Then no. The front outside has an extender that turns to expose the valve. The rearinside is braided steel.

Attachments

• duals1 (1024x768).jpg
    duals1 (1024x768).jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 35
  • duals2 (1024x768).jpg
    duals2 (1024x768).jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 27
I'd check um again in a few days. Might not be nothing wrong unless you were there when they chaeced um. I have the same extentions on my duels you have, and they don't leak. Mine are about 7 years old now.

Mine are just serated, but I did snug them up with a pair of pliers, when I changed tires this past fall. There is a rubber gasket inside the fitting.

I'll try snuggin' them up. I did learn the hard way that the wheel openings where the valves are have some mighty sharp edges. My fingers are a little chopped up.  :(
I'll need to really keep an eye on these until the TPMS arrives.

BinaryBob said:
I'll try snuggin' them up. I did learn the hard way that the wheel openings where the valves are have some mighty sharp edges.

What I did to "solve" this problem (and I'm sure I read about it here) was to buy a short length of rubber hose, such as that used for windshield washer fluid.  Split the hose in two long-ways, turn inside out and wind it around the metal lip of the wheel opening where the air extension comes through.  Easier to show in person than describe in words.

As far as the air loss, if you have the flexible "braided" metal extenders on your duals - they are known for developing leaks.  The straight, solid metal extenders (such as semi trucks use) are usually recommended to combat that issue.  I also had faulty valve stem caps (the psi-reading kind) on mine at one point, and discovered the pressure down to 40psi from 80psi after arriving at a campground.  As you mentioned, there was no visible evidence of flattening tires.

All of the above are prime reasons why frequent psi-checking of RV tires is crucial.

Back
Top Bottom