Tire monitors ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokeater1

Here we go again....A little knowledge is a dangerous thing !
I'm reading ads for tire pressure and temp monitors. Are they really any better than a manual tire gage, or is it just folks do not check pressures often enough and these monitors will alert to low pressures ?

Real time pressure monitors tell you immediately if you lose air pressure as you go down the highway and could prevent a serious accident. At the very least it could prevent an expensive tire replacement.

One time I was towing a Ford Bronco behind my motorhome and had no idea I had a flat tire on the Bronco until someone flagged me down. By then, all that was left of the tire was the bead (next to the rim) and the outer belt. Not too long after this event I read about it happening to another couple and, when they pulled off the highway, the hot tire started a forest fire. The couple received a bill for $1M for the cost of fighting the fire.

So do you now have tire monitors ??

I read about a wireless setup that uses little pressure readers/xmitters on each valve stem, and a velcro mounted recevier for the cab. A red light alerts to low pressure. Seemed pretty simple.

We have wireless tire monitors on my wife's Suburban and have been researching wireless tire monitors for the tires on my motorhome and toad. In all cases, the ones I'm looking at have wireless transmitters screwed onto the valve stems, although there are some available that reside inside the tire.

Tom said:
We have wireless tire monitors on my wife's Suburban and have been researching wireless tire monitors for the tires on my motorhome and toad. In all cases, the ones I'm looking at have wireless transmitters screwed onto the valve stems, although there are some available that reside inside the tire.

We have been looking too.  I like the ones Bernie sells best.  Will be talking to him about them when we go in for our Sushi fix on Friday.  Looks like the best way to go as far as I'm concerned.

smokeater1 said:
Here we go again....A little knowledge is a dangerous thing !
I'm reading ads for tire pressure and temp monitors. Are they really any better than a manual tire gage, or is it just folks do not check pressures often enough and these monitors will alert to low pressures ?

I would say that most Tire Pressure Monitor Systems do not give you a "tire pressure gauge reading". The PressurePro has a 3%+/- error allowance, a very good tire gauge will be much less than that. I notice the PP reading when I set the monitor and then, as long as the readings stay in the range, I don't worry about having to use a tire pressure gauge. It gives me the peace of mind in the morning before departure that all my tires are full and then, while on the road, that the tire isn't losing air.

I use Bernie's Pressure Pro monitors.  Basically I've seen two types that might work.. The Pressure pro mointors tire pressure on just about any kind of tire... My Motor Home, and my Towed are both mointored

THey could mointor my lawn cart and bicycle as well if I wished (However that's getting a bit much)

They have detected the occasional screw in the towed's tire (hazard of where I used to work... Don't work there any more, quit last week)

The other one I've seen straps to the rim INSIDE the tire... IT will not monitor all kinds of tires though, some tires have too low a profile and damage to the monitor would occure, others don't have the rim width  So it only works on some vehicles... Also the minotor is much larger and appears to be seperated from the receiver, making it difficult to move from Motor Home to towed (or other vehicle) and back.

Pressure Pro the minoitor/receiver is about 1/2 inch thick, perhaps 4-5 inches high and about 5-6 inches wide, mounts with either special mounting brackets (I assume from the design of the package) or common velcro tape which you can get at more stores than I can count (RV, Drug, Department, Sewing, Auto, and so many more I can't list them all)  To move it you pull the plut, plug it in and optionally push the F/B button till only the tires you want to monitor are lit (multiple pushes often needed) to move it back... Same procedure

The system that straps to the tire also monitors temperture and can thus detect a dragging brake

IF, that is, it will fit on your ride

Thanks, everyone. Seems the Pressure Pro would be the way to go. At least the setup should be easy, except it may be a bit of a pain to screw the monitor on the inside tire valve stem.....

smokeater1 said:
Thanks, everyone. Seems the Pressure Pro would be the way to go. At least the setup should be easy, except it may be a bit of a pain to screw the monitor on the inside tire valve stem.....

Send Bernie a PM and ask him.  He showed me it would be no problem.

Ron said:
Send Bernie a PM and ask him.  He showed me it would be no problem.

I installed ours set-10 transducers  including Toad in 45 minutes after reading the directions.

My Pressure Pro install took about the same time as Jeff's, except that I made a little bracket for the dash display so I could mount it exactly where I wanted it, at the base of the steering column just below the rest of the instrumentation.  Manufacturing a bracket from a spare piece of aluminum channel took another 30 minutes or so.

The system couldn't be simpler.

smokeater1 said:

Jack

In most cases, no more difficult than taking a reading with a tire pressure gauge. And you only have to do it very seldom ;D ;D

smokeater1 said:

It is no harder to screw the monitor on than the factory installed valve cap... The only real difference is the monitor is larger

On my Damon it did require I remove the simulator (Wheel cover)  That is a discomfort, but I'd not call it a pain.

NOTE: to put air in the tires... Same procedure

One word of caution: Read the instructions at least two times before preoceeding... I missed a step and had to re-do it.

A 10 tire Pressure Pro system (for a typical motorhome and toad) runs $690. An 8 tire system for a typical pick-up truck and trailer is $590.  Basically it is $190 for the display unit & transceiver plus$50 for each wheel sensor.

Kirk said:
What was the cost of the system? I keep looking at them, as I know it is something that I should add to our rig.

Thanks!

Just picked up our Pressure Pro system from Bernie will install tomorrow.  Suggest you PM Bernie for prices etc.

One more on the tire monitors.....after airing up the tires today [ for the first time] it's a bit of a pain for the inside rears. I'm wondering if once screwd on, the Pressure Pro senders have to be removed to air the tire, or is it a pass through kinda thing ? Also on my Minnie, I'm not sure if I can install anything on the outside stem without removing the wheel. Just have a small hole in the wheel to fit the air chuck through.

Thanks>>>

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom