Tire pressure equalization system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catblaster

Will be getting all new tires next week and a question has come up regarding the crossfire equalization system and whether it is worth it or not. For a single rear axle the cost would be just a little more than $100 and takes the place of the valve extensions.
  Since there are so many members running truck and tractors I would especially appreciate their input. I was given 2 sets last time at the tire dealership but they must be set specific to the pressure you wish to run and these are #120. Much too high for me, the door sticker shows #85.  Now my "fix it " disease has kicked in and I cant bring myself to throw them away.

Link to crossfire below, any other system recommendation would be appreciated. http://www.dualdynamics.com/products/cross-fire/

I have crossfires on my coach, which allows me to run a much cheaper automotive 4 tire TPMS system, though I did have to shop a bit to find one that works with 80+ psi tire pressure.

p.s. I think you can send them in and have them reset to a different pressure for a nominal fee

So, we are talking dual tires here, right, and NOT a travel trailer or 5th wheel with 4 SINGLE tires on 2 axles?

darsben said:
For the money I would invest in a good TPMS before the crossover
you want a Crossfire I got one set to 100 PSI (For the warning indicator) if you are near Upstate SC you can have it..

Two reasons.. One I can not install it on my RV (Well I likely could now that I have dully valves on it)
Two: not this year but 2017 I blew an inside dual. the tire did not shread and it was quite some distance before I discovered it flat and got the tire guy out... Then put all new shoes on the RV last fall.. but with the Crossfire I'd have had to do  both duals and I'd would have had to do them then.. Turns out it's not the great advantage it is.

A good TPSM.. would have told me I popped a casing but..... Would not have totalled ther partner tire.

John, that's one of the things I have against the crossfire and in favor of a TPMS. With the crossfire it shuts off the equalization when one of the tires deflates below a certain point. A TPMS attached to the crossfire would not pick up a tire blowing or rapidly deflating since the crossfire shuts off air to the deflating at 10lbs below its setting and only the inflated tire would show a reading on the TPMS but at 10 lbs below its normal setting.

My counter point to that is that at 10 psi low you should be pulling over to see what is wrong with or without crossfires installed.

Isaac-1 said:
My counter point to that is that at 10 psi low you should be pulling over to see what is wrong with or without crossfires installed.
A) The literature states; "Crossfire has a safety feature that automatically isolates the ?good? tire in the event of a blowout. When a blowout occurs, the internal safety valve closes immediately with only a slight loss of pressure to the ?good? tire". Emphasis is mine
B) There is no in the coach monitoring.
C) NO early warning of impending failure as with a TPMS

I have both. My crossfires are 100 psi. On each crossfire is a tpms sensor programmed to alarm at 95 psi. Will it work? I don't know. Fortunately, I haven't found out.

I appreciate all the responses and advice, will probably go with the braided extensions and a TPMS system.  Does anyone want the two crossfires that I have? set to 120# free if someone wants them.

catblaster said:
    John, that's one of the things I have against the crossfire and in favor of a TPMS. With the crossfire it shuts off the equalization when one of the tires deflates below a certain point.

I understood it was a percentage not "10 PSI" but the Crossfire I have is designed to nount TWO TPMS units. one for each tire.

darsben said:
A) The literature states; "Crossfire has a safety feature that automatically isolates the ?good? tire in the event of a blowout. When a blowout occurs, the internal safety valve closes immediately with only a slight loss of pressure to the ?good? tire". Emphasis is mine
B) There is no in the coach monitoring.
C) NO early warning of impending failure as with a TPMS

I was referring to using a single TPMS sensor with Crossfires

Back
Top Bottom