Tire pressure light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chaz1040

A few months ago I bought a 2011 GMC Savana 3500 (1 ton). When I bought the van, all 4 tires were at 55psi. A few days ago I had 4 new tires installed. The tire shop inflated the tires using the tire pressure guide on the door of the van which stated 55psi for the front tires and 80psi for the rear tires. The tire pressure warning light has been on ever since the new tires were installed and the van's display is telling me both front tires are low. I checked the pressure and it is 55psi in both front tires and 80psi in both rear tires. Any ideas how to make the light go away or tell the van the tire pressures are correct? Thank you in advance.

I found the following...........

HOW TO RESET TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR
The first step is to stop the vehicle in a safe place.
Turn the engine switch off and apply parking brake.
Turn the ignition to ?ON? position (engine off).
Press and hold unlock and lock buttons on RKE transmitter. Wait for horn.
If RKE is lacking so follow these steps:
a) Press DIC ?MENU? button.

b) Scroll up for selecting ?TIRE PRESSURE MENU?.

c) Press the ?SET/CLR? button.

d) Then a message about acceptance of the process will display ? press    the ?SET/CLR? button.

e) Wait for double-voiced horn.

Place the relearn tool against the tire side wall for starting working at driver?s front tire. Press the button for turning the TPMS sensor on.
Do the same for the right-front tire and for the back tires.
Wait for the confirmatory horn that everything is on correct positions.
Turn the ignition ?OFF?.

https://capitol-tires.com/reset-tire-pressure-sensor-gmc-savana-yukon-acadia-sierra.html

This is assuming everything is working properly.

The van owner manual ought to cover resetting the TPMS indicator.  Check the index under Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS).

If you don't have the manual, download at https://my.gmc.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2011/gmc/savana_passenger/2011_gmc_savana_owner.pdf

Obviously the TPMS depends on having pressure sensors in each wheel. It's possible the tire shop damaged them, or maybe even removed them, but more likely they simply failed to reset the system after installing the tires. Sloppy workmanship, but you can do it yourself using the instructions in the owner manual.  Once the tires/wheels are moved around, the TPMS needs to be re-taught which sensor is on which wheel. If that isn't done, it may report the incorrect tire position, e.g. it may say Rt Front is low when it is actually the Left rear sensor that is reporting.

UPDATE:
I bought the reset tool and reset the TPS 15 times and the yellow warning light stayed on. I brought the van back to the tire shop 3 times and they are stumped why the light is on. I then brought the van to the GM dealer and they worked on it for a couple of hours and they were also stumped and unable to make the light go off. Any other GM Savana 3500 owners have this problem happen?

The simplest explanation is that one of the tire sensors isn't functioning, i.e. not reporting anything at all. The monitor software sees it as "missing".  Has the shop disassembled the tire and rebuilt the TPMS unit in the problem tire?  Presumably all those experts have identified what position is in question, right?

I agree, sounds like a bad sensor.  I would think all these places could figure it out.  My other simple suggestion, take the negative off the battery for an hour.  Maybe a complete reset of the electronics would help. My old GMC Yukon would do goofy things at times with the auto hvac, the battery trick always fixed it.  ::) 

Thank you for the replies. I had the battery disconnected for a couple of hours when I had the alternator replaced last week. However, I will try replacing the sensors in both front tires and see if that solves the problem. If that doesn't work, I'll fix the problem by placing a one inch piece of electrical tape over the warning light.

Thought I'd throw this out here because it's a good video and it removes any doubt you may have about tpms sensors and "How to" change a tire pressure sensor without breaking the tire off the rim.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom