Tire pressure monitoring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I finally got with the program and added a PressurePro system to our coach and toad, courtesy of Bernie. One reason for procrastinating was the fact that the Burb came with an OEM tire pressure monitor system. But, of course, that's only good while driving the Burb.

What finaly got me off my butt was recalling an experience we had in the late 80's while towing a Bronco behind our Pace Arrow. Someone passed me going up the Sierras and the guy was honking his horn and furiously pointing to his tires. When I looked in the mirror all I saw was smoke coming from the direction of the toad. I pulled over and found that almost the entire tire had burned out. I'd apparently dragged the toad for some distance, not knowing it had a flat tire.

Some time after that experience, another couple pulled off the road when they saw smoke coming from their toad. But their hot tire was on the passenger side (mine had been on the driver's side) and it started a forest fire. The couple received a bill for $1M to pay for fighting the fire. I have no idea what that would be in today's $$.

Bernie delivered the PressurePro system to me yesterday. 15 minutes after reading the instructionsr everything was installed and was working just fine. A few pics for the folks who haven't seen one of these systems:

• Contents of the box (display, power cord, antenna, sensors), instruction manual and even some velcro strips for attahing to the dash.
  • Attaching one of the sensors.
  • Setting up the system.

Attachments

• kit.JPG
    kit.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 58
  • sensor.JPG
    sensor.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 57
  • setup.JPG
    setup.JPG
    51.5 KB · Views: 61
Temporarily permanently, I mounted it on the right side of the dash, more or less center in the coach. Since I'll be using it while Chris drives, this seemed the best location. Because I don't know where the final location will be, I used some of those 3M adhesive strips that will come off clean. (You can see the white tabs from the strips sticking up above the display - so I can easily remove the strips).

Attachments

• PPro.jpg
    PPro.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 33
My pressure pro receiver is velcroed to the dash on the insturment cluster. It can also go in the towed when it's "independent"  so far it's found 2 screws and a nail and a couple of bead leaks that I'd not have found as quickly.

So, someone asks, what is the importance of finding a leak quickly?

Well.. if you should be running say 30 psi, and you find a leak at 25psi, blow it back up and it goes down again, head to the tire store... Then it is a repair... Depending on where you bought the tire and what options you bought withe it that repair is either free, or generally under 10 bucks

If you let the tire run flat, even a very short distance... it's a new tire, Take that 10 bucks and depending on the tire add between 1 and 4 pressure pro tire monitors (New) for a car, the entire system for something like my Class A, and you have an idea of the price.  So with about 5 leaks detected in time... It's paid for

John In Detroit said:
My pressure pro receiver is velcroed to the dash on the insturment cluster.

That's a good way to go John and, as you know, the PPro comes with two velcro strips. I didn't yet use them because I don't know where the final location will be.

In my case, since the Burb has its own OEM tire pressure monitoring system, I don't need to move the PPro monitor to the toad.

There doesn't appear to be any interference from the OEM sensors. That might be because their transmitters are lower power &/or because they use a different frequency.

One thing I haven't yet done is park the Burb at the rear of the coach - to ensure the rear sensors on the car transmit far enough.

I had a minor oops when I turned the system on this morning - it started alarming and showed one tire on the coach down to 40 psi. I must not have had the sensor on tight enough and it was letting air escape from the valve. Pumped it up, replaced the sensor, and it doesn't appear to have lost any air since.

The verdict is in, or at least a preliminary one .....

I'm really glad I bought the PressurePro system. In addition to the peace of mind knowing it's keeping an eye on things, it's nice to be able to just push a button on the dash and cycle through the individual tire pressures.

A couple of minor issues were responded to promptly, courteously and efficiently by Bernie, both while in QZ and while on the road.

Thanks for a great product and the great support Bernie.

And if Bernie can't answer a question, Doug at PressurePro is readily available by phone and email.

What a neat use for technology.

Their site didn't tell me about the specifications of the units so perhaps somebody could give me an idea on some things that were not clear to me.

1. Will it show pressures in other units? Being a metric country now but formerly an English country our tyre pressures are both in psi and kPa - kiloPascales. Can it be set for units other than psi?

2. How can you tell which tyre is which? Are the sensors numberd or coded in a special way so that the indication for the inside rear wont be mistaken for the off-side front etc?

3. Are replacement sensors available as individual units or do you have to replace them as a batch after travellinmg x miles?

Cheers, Ian

1. Not sure, I'll let Bernie answer this one.

2. The unit has a graphical display where the wheels are shown in their actual positions.  When a sensor is installed, it's coded to the wheel position.  The display shows both the motor home and the toad with up to 18 wheels.  You only install the wheel positions that you actually have.  There are photos on the Doran PressurePro web site showing the different displays.

3. Sensors can be replaced individually.  When the batteries wear out, replacements are available for a reasonable cost.

Ian said:
What a neat use for technology.

Their site didn't tell me about the specifications of the units so perhaps somebody could give me an idea on some things that were not clear to me.

1. Will it show pressures in other units? Being a metric country now but formerly an English country our tyre pressures are both in psi and kPa - kiloPascales. Can it be set for units other than psi?

Ian

To the best of my knowledge, the system cannot show kPa, psi only. When I return home, I will try and remember to find out about kPa.

2. How can you tell which tyre is which? Are the sensors numberd or coded in a special way so that the indication for the inside rear wont be mistaken for the off-side front etc?

Each sensor is coded. When you install the sensors they relate to a specific tire position on the coach or toad. If you swap sensors without uninstalling/reinstalling, you will get a reading for the original tire positions. The monitor display shows each of the tire positions on a pictograph, so you know which tire is responding.

3. Are replacement sensors available as individual units or do you have to replace them as a batch after travellinmg x miles?

Sensors are sold individually, but the batteries should last 3-5 years. After that period of time, you should replace all the sensors when the first ones start to fail. The factory is planning a sensor battery exchange program, the sensors are not user replaceable.

Ian

>>Being a metric country now but formerly an English country our tyre pressures are both in psi and kPa - kiloPascales. Can it be set for units other than psi?<<

SmarTire shows psi or Bar...Your Austrailian distributor is www.smartire.com.au

A funny thing happened on the way to .....

Very early this morning (way too early) I was reading the PPro manual and read the part about using baggies to keep the sensors idenitifed correctly when they're removed. Thought that was a good idea, so I got out 10 small Ziplock bags and proceeded to label each with Coach right front, Coach left front, etc. Then I started to carefully remove each sensor and put it in its respective bag.

I was down to the last bag, labelled Toad right rear, but there was no sensor on that wheel. Time to wake Chris up and ask if it had a sensor when she washed the Burb yesterday. She was sure it did and recalled it getting in the way of washing the wheel.. Walking back to stare at the bare valve stem, I was mumbling to myself about having to buy a new sensor. Then I noticed the sensor on the Toad right front wheel. How did that get back on there? I was certain I'd removed it and I only have one bag, and it's labelled for the other wheel.

Checked the baggie for that sensor and it already had a sensor in it. Don't recall having two sensors on that wheel. Sratch my head some more and finally realized I must have put one sensor in the wrong bag. All sensors present and accounted for.

Next time, I'll wait unti I'm awake to remove the sensors. Or maybe I'll just paint numbers on them  :-[

I have marked ours with permanent Magic Marker that does not show unless you are really looking.

Terry A. Brewer said:
Ian
>>Being a metric country now but formerly an English country our tyre pressures are both in psi and kPa - kiloPascales. Can it be set for units other than psi?<<
SmarTire shows psi or Bar...Your Austrailian distributor is www.smartire.com.au
From the page you sent me to
Tire monitoring systems in passenger vehicles provide drivers with an extra measure of safety, performance and reliability. Tire and vehicle recalls in the U.S in 2000 highlighted the need for proper tire maintenance and the importance of tire pressure monitoring. The U.S. Government has responded with the publication of part one of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) rulemaking regarding the TREAD Act of 2000. This ruling requires the installation of tire pressure monitoring systems (TPMS) in passenger vehicles and light trucks beginning November 1, 2003, with full implementation by October 31, 2006.
That's interesting to hear. Wonder if there is any similar push for our country?

Back
Top Bottom