Tire Pressure Monitors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbell

I had a blowout last winter on a 4 year old Goodyear Marathon. I'd always taken pains to check them. I bet nobody's heard that before ;D. So I've searched and read everything I can about them. It seems most people on this forum have Pressure Pro. I'm interested in advice from those that have tire pressure monitors and where they got them. No one around hear stocks them and everyone sells the best one there is.

Not counting factory installed (Which seems not to be an option on motor homes) I am familiar with 3 systems, one by experience 2  by research

In order of complexity

1: Tire Sentry: Advantages, are ease of installation, and ease of movement vehicle to vehicle,  Sensors are battery operated radio transmitters which replace your standard valve caps.  I've never seen the receiver

This system alerts you when tire pressure drops below a set point (you pick the set point at time of purchase)

2: Pressure Pro This is the system I have,  Advantages Installation is the same as above, plus it reports PRESSURE to the dash monitor, Dash monitor is very thin, mounts with Velcro tape to any flat spot or with spring clips to a sun visor or just about any way you wish to mount it. 

Alerts happen when tire pressure drops a pre-set percentage (I think 12.5) and to "Set" the sender simply remove it for one minute from the tire (unscrew the valve cap) and replace it, I suggest doing this on a cold morning.  Again, ease of movement is there and you can "Turn off" either the Motor Home or the towed (And transport the receiver between them)  Major disadvantage, batteries in sensors are NOT user replaceable.

3; Smart Tire.

Installation requires professional help as the wheels need to be removed from the vehicle and at least one bead broken down so the sensor can be installed INSIDE the tire.  The sensor straps to the rim, can be damaged in a "Run Flat" condition and will interfer with a Tyron Run Flat safety band if you have one.  Transfer to a new vehicle requires tires be removed from BOTH vehicles (may be cheaper to buy new sensors)

Cars with low profile tires.... This system may well not fit (The others do)

Advantage: Monitors both pressure and temperature,  Alarms on high or low on both measurements.

I have had the Pressure Pro on motorhome and car for two years and am pleased with it.  I bought mine through rvupgrades.com, which I find is an excellent source for RV accessories, with decent prices and excellent service.

If there is a disadantage to the Pressure Pro system, it is that it lacks temperature compensation.  A 50 degree drop in temperature (compared to the temp at the time the sensor  was installed) is sufficient to trigger a low pressure alarm (10% dropin psi). So if you install/calibrate a sensor on an 85 degree day and later encounter a 35 degree overnight low, you may awke to the sound of a low pressure alarm. It's not exactly a false alarm because the pressure really is about 10% low, but it is not a problem.

Bernie contacted me and I've got a Pressure Pro on the way. I sorta wonder about a guy in a town named Goodyear selling tire stuff. LOL

John (or Bernie) I am curious.  You mentioned that the pressure pro sensor batteries are not user replaceable.  Does this mean you have to buy a new sensor when the battery goes down.  Or send them somewhere?  Just seems puzzling that such a straightforward device will not permit the customer to change batteries.

Good one John. What part of Detroit are you from? I'm out by Jackson (Napoleon).

Somewhere in reading all this stuff they mentioned removing the sensors when not in use would stop the battery drain.
First is it true?
Is so has anyone figured out when it's worth the trouble or is it?

rbell said:
Good one John. What part of Detroit are you from? I'm out by Jackson (Napoleon).

As for removing the sensors.. Have not a clue.  I suspect it  might be true though as I doubt they send much beyond a couple of minutes if at zero psi.  But since mine are nearly always in use (I use the rig year round) it's not woth the hassle of removing them to test.

As for Napoleon.. Been there many times.  I'm in North Western Detroit, Near Grand River and 7 mile

John/Bernie/Anyone ...

Still wondering what is done when batteries run down if they are not replacable by the customer.  As Tom knows I sometimes miss things in these threads, but still cannot find the answer.

Smokey,

BernieD said:
Vlady

The batteries have an estimated life of 3-5 years. I've had mine nearly 3 years and have never heard of one with a dead battery. The batteries are not user replaceable, too many problems with water leaks and poor user techniques for replacement. The factory will replace sensors with dead batteries with a sensor with new batteries for a reasonable amount. There has never been a problem replacing non functioning sensors.

Vladdy Daddy has quoted my previous quote regarding PP battery replacement, but to repeat; they are not user replaceable to create longer battery life (sealed container) and prevent user screwups in replacing them. There will be a factory replacement price for sensors with batteries that have worn out that will be substantially less than new sensors and not much more than replacement batteries might cost.

Taking sensors off when not used will extend the battery life somewhat, but not very much overall. To me, it isn't worth the effort to take them off and put them back on again. Of course going off road at Moab or Quartzsite doesn't count  ;D

Thanks for the info Bernie.? That all sounds like a reasonable approach.

It might make sense to order a spare so that when one needs a battery replacement you are not caught short.

BernieD said:
Taking sensors off when not used will extend the battery life somewhat, but not very much overall. To me, it isn't worth the effort to take them off and put them back on again. Of course going off road at Moab or Quartzsite doesn't count  ;D

Bernie, I have wondered about that. I leave mine on but of course the display unit in motorhome is disconnected.

Do the sensors on tires send a signal if they have pressure to activate them??

Bob

The sensors send a periodic keep alive signal to let the monitor know they are still there.  I keep the monitor powered up all the time so I can be alerted if a tire goes soft while parked.  We do get the occasional false alarm from cold temperature pressure drops.

Bob Zambenini said:
Bernie, I have wondered about that. I leave mine on but of course the display unit in motorhome is disconnected.

Do the sensors on tires send a signal if they have pressure to activate them??

Bob

Sorry, I was talking about when I am in storage. Its always connected when on road.

Bob Zambenini said:
'Storage' is a hard concept for a fulltimer to understand!!!!! ;D ;D

Are you saying that even if they are off and in the glove compartment they still send that small signal?

Bob

That is correct, but very little of a power drain. Once again, not enough to worry about.

As far as batteries going down, there is an indicator on the display which shows a low battery condition for the sensors, so you have plenty of time to get a replacement.

BernieD said:
....there is an indicator on the display which shows a low battery condition for the sensors, so you have plenty of time to get a replacement.

Thanks Bernie. I either didn't know that or forgot.

Bernie,

How long after removal will the sensor stop sending the alarm message?  When I take one off to air up a tire, it sends the alarm for at least several minutes until I reinstall it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom