Tire Pressure Sensors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you all for your comments and real world experiences. As always I can find the help I need right here on rvforum.net!

Ned, keep us updated on your choice and how it works out for you.

Bill

Oh no, we have another Ned.  This is going to get confusing :)

If I'm correct(which seldom happens) the price difference between the tst, and pressure pro for a 6 tire system is only $25bucks? for that difference the tire temp addy would make the difference for me. ;)

For $25 difference I would go for the experience and known excellent customer service of Pressure Pro.  Temperature just isn't that important.  As I've said before, I believe it's just a marketing gimmick.  Pressure Pro actually does measure temperature, they just don't display it on the normal display.  It is available through the PP monitor if you really want to see it.

how much more is that monitor? As I have said before, I believe that tire temp is just as important, I believe that it will give you more info and quicker info to a problem than just the pressure will, but hey that's just my op. kevin

Another plus for Pressure Pro - both the company and one of their dealers participate in the forum and respond to questions. (No, they don't sponsor us, nor have they ever been asked to.)

kevin said:
how much more is that monitor? As I have said before, I believe that tire temp is just as important, I believe that it will give you more info and quicker info to a problem than just the pressure will, but hey that's just my op. kevin

Kevin

PP only uses one monitor for all RV applications. No extra charge. IMHO, more important is the high pressure warning that PP uses. Since sensors monitor the temperature or pressure in the valve stem, you can get an inaccurate temperature reading. The pressure reading is uniform in both the tire and valve. The PP high pressure warning is factory preset for 30% over base pressure but is user adjustable to higher or lower tolerances.

Ned said:
I'm with Gary on the temperature readout.  I think it's a marketing gimmick more than a useful feature.  If the tire temperatures are going up, it's most likely due to a loss of air pressure and that will trigger an alarm.  I do check our tires periodically with an IR thermometer and find the temps vary as much as the pressures due to outside air temps, speed, and sun.

Might very well be a marketing gimmick, unless you own a Workhorse chassis that has had brake-related issues for more than three years with no repairs provided for at this time. I have the TST system and picked it for that very feature: I feel that if one or more of the brake calipers starts dragging and heats up the calipers and rotors, I'm hoping that the sensors will tip me off before I have a complete brake meltdown. If I see a huge disparity between left and right, or front to back temperatures, I know it's time to pull over and take a look. I also have a non-contact infrared laser temperature gauge - $30 / Harbor Freight.

Off-thread: (My local Workhorse dealer told me the other day that he's hoping to start replacing Bosch calipers by the end of the year. Says that rotor and pad replacement will be a customer pay, but the calipers and labor to replace the calipers will be covered under the recall. If the repairs happen by the end of the year, wow! four years from start to finish to finally have the defective calipers replaced. Workhorse should give a 50% discount to replace the rotors and pads at the same time, but that's a subject for another another thread.)

Anyone who is comparing TPMS systems can email me for a .pdf copy of the TST owner's manual. TPMS systems are finally becoming standard equipment on many new passenger vehicles and I feel that any brand is worhwhile to have, especially on RV's.

Richard

If a caliper starts dragging (not a very common occurrence), the heat will increase the air pressure within the tire. With a PressurePro system, once that increase reaches 30%, the high pressure alarm will go off, the alert level is user adjustable if you need a narrower or larger warning range. You won't need to check anything, the alert is automatic.

the tst system offers both high/low pressure, and temp settings. if a caliper is dragging the temp is going to show up alot faster than the tire pressure increase will.  I guess the thread is like the difference between gas/diesel. everyone will have their own op's.  With that said, I'll stick with mine, you stick with yours, and we can Imagine that ours is the best ;D or cheapest ;D

Just became a TST dealer first of June.

Sounds like you might have a vested interest in promoting TST products. If so, I'd refer you to our forum rules (click the Rules button above). Neither Pressure Pro nor any of their dealers has come close to crossing the line.

BernieD said:
Richard

If a caliper starts dragging (not a very common occurrence), the heat will increase the air pressure within the tire. With a PressurePro system, once that increase reaches 30%, the high pressure alarm will go off, the alert level is user adjustable if you need a narrower or larger warning range. You won't need to check anything, the alert is automatic.

Sounds like it is very similar to the TST, though the TST gives you an automatic alarm either by tire air pressure or tire air temperature. If it wasn't due to my concern with the calipers hanging up on my MH, I'm sure any system available would work perfectly. I felt at the time I decided to buy a TMPS that the tire air temperature was an important feature, though for most, the air pressure alarm probably suits them perfectly.

Myself, I don't rep or sell any TMPS, so my only purpose is to simply recommend the use of any brand of TMPS's on RV's for safety reasons; I just happend to choose TST. (Guess I'm a little behind; just did a Google and found federal law that starting with the 2008 model-year, 'light vehicles' are required to have a TMPS.)

As to calipers not dragging very often, when I dropped off my MH today at Workhorse (intermittent problem with the fuel sending unit; quoted $1,700 to replace the sending unit and fuel pump, which is two separate parts in one unit, so WH recommends replacing both at the same time due to the labor costs), the service writer told me that WCC is having to replace the calipers on approximately 4,000 chassis, times 4 calipers per MH... that's a lot of Bosch calipers. And he said even worse, all the calipers that WCC has already replaced and refunds issued, all those calipers will have to be replaced with the new design. He told me, hopefully tongue in cheek, that some owners might be another two-years out getting replacements due to parts availbility and the required shop time.

Tom, I have had a certain Pressure Pro salesman on this site send me a personal message promoting his product. He also questioned me about why I would want to go with TST. I was only too glad to fill him in. I for one do not have a vested interest in TST. I simply compared for my own purpose and liked what I saw in TST.

Bill

Tom said:
Sounds like you might have a vested interest in promoting TST products. If so, I'd refer you to our forum rules (click the Rules button above). Neither Pressure Pro nor any of their dealers has come close to crossing the line.
Vested interest? not really, If you've read most of my post, I'm also a super steer dealer too, and a interstate battery dealer too. I have never sold any of these to anyone on the internet.  I become dealers for many things, that get me a better deal on products. If I have a good customer(locally) and they ask about it, I will sell to them.  So please don't assume that you know what my interest are.  I believe as stated before that the tst system is better, and depending on the package you choose, even cheaper, and offers more info, which I also believe more info the better.

So as far as crossing a line If free speech is a problem here on the friendliest place on the web, please let me know and I will move on. kevin

Thanks for the clarification Kevin.

No assumptions on my part; Just a friendly heads up and reminder of our forum rules, which I do from time to time. Most folks understand and comply.

If free speech is a problem here ...

Free to the extent that any posts must still comply with our forum rules. This is not the wild west of the internet; It's a private forum, and membership requires us all to accept an agreement before being allowed to register.

Thanks for your understanding.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom