Tire question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debsmg

So my tires are 6 years old with about 33000 miles. I think I will change them out. Coachnet gave me a price $229 per tire for Michelin LT 225/75 R16 XPS RIB LRE. Local tire dealer says these will stiffen the ride due to reinforced sidewall and they were 300 dollars a tire there. He recommended a Michelin Crossclimate which came in same price as Coachnet ones. coach-net sets up appointment and collects payment. I just don’t know yet where it will be. I’m not sure which ones to put on my coach. Reccomendations?

Thanks
Deb

Toyo is a really good option and cheaper to boot. There are several other name brands that also gopive great service. The problem with Michelin has been sidewall cracking mostly across the board.

Search that tire size at www.TireRack.com and www.Tires.com to at least compare price ranges. Plus you can see other brands in that same size. When browsing the results, make sure you only consider those with the LT (Light Truck) designation in front of the size, i.e. LT225/75R16. Passenger rated tires will show up too, and you do not want those on your rig.

I'm not sure why you would want the Cross-Climate (all-season) tire and that type of tire is typically noisier than standard tread designs. The Michelin Agilis Cross-Climate is rated for use in heavy snow climates.

LT225/75R16 is a common size and there should be plenty of quality brands in the $200 or less price range. Cooper, Toyo, Firestone, Yokahama, Sumitomo, etc.

IMO, Michelins are always expensive but rarely any better than other major brands.

I'm not sure why you would want the Cross-Climate (all-season) tire and that type of tire is typically noisier than standard tread designs. The Michelin Agilis Cross-Climate is rated for use in heavy snow climates.

LT225/75R16 is a common size and there should be plenty of quality brands in the $200 or less price range. Cooper, Toyo, Firestone, Yokahama, Sumitomo, etc.

IMO, Michelins are always expensive but rarely any better than other major brands.
I've gotten Coopers for a hundred bucks. Their great

e-bikes I use Continentals;

Motorcycle, you can't go wrong with Dunlops, I like the D908RR

Attachments

• KLR650.jpg
    KLR650.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The Michelin Crossclimate are rated well as an All Season tire. As long as they fit your budget I don't see them as a bad choice. Although I think there are better choices available, just how available in your area? Tirerack is a great place to get reviews. Plug in your details, look at these tires and options. You will quickly get educated on the basics. Make sure you at least get a tire that meets your load ratings etc, that info is on your current tire, maybe a placard in the drivers door.

Yokohoma is an often over looked excellent tire, I run them on all my trucks and on my 5W. Also a US made, Yokohama development center in Cornelius, North Carolina, and manufacturing plants in Salem, Virginia and West Point, Mississippi. Look at the Geolander H/T in your size.

Just make sure you check the date on the tire to make sure the salesman is talking you into something just because they have a lot of them in stock they want to get rid of. I am not popular with tire dealers when I buy a new tire because I always insist on checking the dates before they install them on my rims. I just want to make sure they don't pull something out of the far back corner of the storeroom that is dated a couple of years ago.

After driving RVs for 40+ years I say stiffer sidewalls can be a good thing. When I made the switch from "real" 10 ply bias ply tires to radials on the same MH I noticed way more side sway from high winds and passing semi trucks. The reason radials ride so much smoother is their flexible sidewall. Most people don't realize that extra 1/2" of flex translates to a lot at the steering wheel.

For me anything BUT Michelins.
In my 52 years of driving I've logged way over a million miles. A fraction of that was on Michelins where I had 5 blowouts. Never had a blowout on any other brand. And when they blowout the entire tire disintegrates into 4" vertical sidewall belts separated like a peeled orange. Like a bomb went off inside. I'll never buy them again.

I loved Michelin on my cars, but for my RV, they are way over priced.
I bought Firestone for my RV, they are perfect. and a third what Michelin wanted.
Michelin likes their tires WAYYYYY too much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom