Tire Replacement - Revisited

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shadowman

I know this subject has been addressed many times, so I apologize for the repetition. I'm new to the MH side of RVing. I recently traded from a 5th wheel.  The MH we bought is 10 years old, but has been perfectly maintained. I actually bought it from a neighbor that was going to RV fulltime and traded up. When I bought it the tires looked to be in great shape so I didn't bother to ask if they were new or not. There was very minor weather cracking on the sides, but nothing I hadn't seen on my previous 5th wheels. 

To the point - After reading some of the posts yesterday, I decided to look at the Manufacturer Date on the tire. Seems like the are original equipment. 25th week of 1994, based on the information I've gotten off this forum.  Now I'm really nervous about a trip were going on in 2 weeks. Over 1000 miles, which is our longest yet.  I can't afford to replace all 6 tires, but I did buy a spare.

My question is this - Should I at least replace the two front tires, or should I hold off, pray, rub my lucky rabbits foot, and replace them all at once? Most of our camping is done locally, within 150 miles, so I've never worried to much about it, but where were going is a little off the beaten path.  I'm not so concerned with one of the rear tires going, since it's a pretty small MH in comparison to others out there. However I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to replace the front two, just to be on the safe side??

I'm sure everyone may have a different opinion, but all are welcome and appreciated.

From what you indicated the tires would be over ten years old or three years over the maximum of 7 years.  If it were me I would at least replace the front tires and then replace the rear as soon as feasible.

Hope you have an enjoyable trip.

I agree with Ron.  By all means, at the very least replace both front tires before you go farther than the corner store  ;D.  You sure don't want to have problems off the beaten track.  Then ASAP replace the rest of them.  Ideally, all should be replaced at the same time but if you can't afford to do that at this time, do the front tires.

You are very likely to have multiple blowouts if you take any extended trips. Those tires can ruin your fiberglass, holding tanks, elect wiring, gen-sets etc.

Please scrape up the money to replace those tires.

Terry
At Torrey, UT

As Terry said, they all need replacing. If that can't be done, replace the front and enroll in Coachnet ERS to change the rest for you on the road.

I agree with all the comments that the tires should be replaced and, if a choice has to be made, the front ones should be changed first. However, when I was faced with a similar situation on a 10-year old coach and I replaced the front tires, the guy at the tire store inspected the old ones and said "those were merely surface cracks; you didn't need to change those tires". Nevertheless, I felt more at ease having changed them.

A few years later, the coach was getting virtually no use (another long story) and sat in the side yard with the original rear tires on it. At year 19 we bought a new coach and the dealer arranged for a wholesaler to come take the old coach away. I stood watch as he reversed the coach out of our side yard, making sure he didn't hit the overhang of our garage as he made the turn onto the driveway. When the coach was a few feet away from the street, one outer rear tire on each side popped. They could have easily popped when he (or I) was driving along the freeway.

Just as a quick follow up. I began to think back to helping my grandfather on the farm and how we used an old 194? flat bed truck to haul hay. ?The tires on that thing were probably original till the day he got rid of it in 1998. We loaded that thing down with Hay 10' tall. ?Never had a problem with any of the tires. ?This is the reasoning I was giving my wife, who is more of a tight wad then I am. ?She had to ask how fast we went down the freeway with that load. Well, to be honest, we never went off the farm.

Needless to say, with all the advice you all have offered, and the safety of my family at stake, I have decided to put new skins all the way around. I'll have to bite the bullet a bit when I write out the check, but I know you have to pay to play. So you might as well pay a little more and play safe. ?Once again, I appreciate all the comments and feedback. ?Just thought I'd let you all know your comments did not fall on deaf ears. ?I've also noticed by some of the other threads, that I'm getting off easy as far as cost. I think I'll stick with the little fellas for now.

Terry, I'll make sure I wave as I go by. I'm in SLC and wll be heading down to the Flagstaff area, by route of kanab

IMHO that is an excellent decision.  A blowout can cost a lot more than new tires cost.  I'm sure your trip will be more enjoyable without the worry old tires would create.

We just left SLC this morning and are now in Riverton, Wyo fore a few days.

>>Terry, I'll make sure I wave as I go by. I'm in SLC and wll be heading down to the Flagstaff area, by route of kanab<<

I changed out our 5 1/2 year old tires last year, so I know your pain.<G>

Terry
At Torrey, UT

Shadowman said:
Terry, I'll make sure I wave as I go by. I'm in SLC and wll be heading down to the Flagstaff area, by route of kanab

Wish we had known that you were in the area.  You missed the mini-rally in SLC Thursday night.  :mad:

Phil

Shadowman,

I'm delighted that you decided to go ahead and bite the bullet on tires all around on your coach.  It is the right decision and as you indicated it will take a load off your mind when you are tooling down the interstate with the family aboard.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom