Tire treatment..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anything cheap works for me. Once in a blue moon I’ll goop up the tires for a special occasion. Most of it works the same and contains lots of silicone. Armor All is cheap, good, and cheerful.

I’m a bigger fan of clean, undressed tires. Tires turn brown over time, mold release agents work their way to the surface with use and makes them look nasty. Tire cleaners (Simple green and a scrub brush!) will remove that and leave a nice black natural rubber finish again. No, it doesn’t look like it just drove off a dealer lot. But iMO it’s a good middle ground, better for the environment, and tire shine is just kinda nasty to work with.

IT is only for looks as it will not prolong the life of the tire. About 6 years is the life of a tire before it starts to degrade. Go ten and things start to happen internally like beads/radials popping or the tread falls off. The tire cracking on the outside is usually not a cause of tire failure - not at ten years age at least.
Good ole Armorall or similar will make it shine for looks.

Went with McGuires Tire Gel. I did find all of the tire manufacturers do no recommend Silicone or petroleum based products. They all SAY Silicone or Petroleum draws the moisture from the tires causing them to age quicker. Probably a bunch of bull. I really don't care about the shine although it looks good. Oh well time will tell...I guess!! Thanks everyone

IT is only for looks as it will not prolong the life of the tire. About 6 years is the life of a tire before it starts to degrade. Go ten and things start to happen internally like beads/radials popping or the tread falls off. The tire cracking on the outside is usually not a cause of tire failure - not at ten years age at least.
Good ole Armorall or similar will make it shine for looks.
I won't try to go 5 yrs, this piece of junk I bought I doubt anything will last 5 yrs. Like Kirk says, I didn't pay enough for it, only about $55,000 and 2019 30' Keystone TT. What do I expect?? LOL

My kid was a detailer at a used car lot for an extended summer. He snagged a generic bottle of the stuff they use to shine up black bits for sale.

I use this stuff sparingly, like when I am gonna sell a vehicle or I have a particularly bad area. This stuff is watery thin and applied with like blue disposable shop towels. It covers/rejuvenates (whatever) like you just spray painted it black.

What tire treatment do I use? Absolutely nothing.

Blue Beacon makes ‘em look nice when I get ‘er washed. That’s it.

Most tire manufacturers aren't keen on tire dressings for a reason. When I get my rig detailed once a year the detailer uses whatever he uses but I personally don't use anything.

Sounds like some good stuff
What tire treatment do I use? Absolutely nothing.

Blue Beacon makes ‘em look nice when I get ‘er washed. That’s it.
well thanks, that helps. I don’t care about looks. Lots of peoples rigs are in the shade, I KNOW for a fact the sun tears them up.

Tire makers feel that dressings are cosmetic and some may actually be detrimental to the rubber coating if used frequently or improperly. Even Michelin, which has a tire dressing product sold under their brand name, doesn't actually recommend using a tire dressing or protectant. I think that all the tire makers will tell you there is no need to apply any protective coating to their tires. But if you want a rich black color or a nice shine, you are on your own.

There is a difference between tire "dressings" and "treatments". I you're only interested in a "dressing" then use silicone based, it shines, its pretty. If you want to help protect your tires for dry rot use a "dressing" it's water based, will jot dry out the tires. A good "dressing" helps protect against uv rays.
Now on my truck or wife car we'll wear the tread out before they dry rot, so if I use anything on them its the easiest spray on foam I can but and walk away. If my 5th wheel was inside all the time, no sun, I probably wouldn't use anything. Although I do recommend towing it a few miles once every few weeks. As far as tread goes, they would probably last 5-7 yrs at 5000 miles or less a yr. But more than likely if I loaded them with a silicone "dressing" THAT would be detrimental.

base a very detrimental to their tires

This was recommended by friend that many more years under belt than I.
I liked that it is advertised as being used by some high end users.
Silicone free, hybred ceramic formulation won’t attract dust, looks great.
We appy a least twice a year.
Wheels are covered during really hot sunny summer conditions.
Not cheep, but anything to prolong tire life, reasonable insurance.
Amazon.
Bottle goes long way, 4 seasons.
We do twelve tires, (3 vehicles).2E311965-D0E5-4E3F-81FC-9B0FF9B7BEB0.png

I like McKee's 37 Gloss Tire Gel. Doesn't sling off, dries to the touch and contains UV protectants. I use a paint brush to put it on. The only downside is you can't put a second coat on unless you clean the old off first. Owner of the company supposedly uses on his Dutch Star.
They also have a newer Ceramic based one that I haven't tried.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom