Tire valve extensions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clintchism

I am consedering installing tire valve extensions on my rear dualies, has anyone done this or does it have to be done at a service center?
Thanks
Clint

clintchism said:
I am consedering installing tire valve extensions on my rear dualies, has anyone done this or does it have to be done at a service center?
Thanks
Clint

Personally I DO NOT recommend valve extenders. IMHO that just adds more connections to leak. With a rubber fuel line to remove and reinstall the valve cap and the proper chuck to air and check tire pressure there is no need for extenders.

But in answer to your question it is possible to install extenders by reaching between the duals to install the extender on the inside duals.

clintchism said:
Thanks
Clint

Ron is correct about increasing the chance of leaks, but I have had extensions on two RVs and never had a leak. If I had a leak I would know it very quick.

Many of us have gone to one of the crossover systems where you have an equalization between the duals with a safety feature in case one goes down and the other will remain at 70 pounds.

There is the Cat's Eye system by Link and Crossfire. I use Crossfire system and would not leave home without it. I can look at the indicator on walk around and see my pressure. If I need to air, I just air one valve stem inlet.

I also have Pressure Pro so I can see my pressures on the road and it works fine with the Crossfire system. Just had an alert the other day pulling out of an RV park before going on road.

So if you are going to put on extension, for some extra buck you can add some for convenience and safety.

You can easily find all these systems and prices on Google quickly.

Bob

Clint

>>I am consedering installing tire valve extensions on my rear dualies<<

I had Cat eyes on my previous coach & Crossfires on my present coach of 7 years...no leaks & wouldn't be without them.

Terry
See Where I am...http://map.datastormusers.com/user1.cfm?user=229

My rig came factory-equipped with extensions on the rears and I had installed them myself on a previous rig.  I did have one fail on the previous rig, but that was because I had not adequately anchored the outer end of the extension and it came loose. After flailing around who knows how long at 65 mph on I-85, it managed to get itself jammed between the two tires and the outer end got torn off.

I installed a set on the fronts on the current rig and riveted the bracket to the wheel cover to make sure there was no repeat of my earlier failure.  Don't trust the extensions that are held on with a springy metal strip wedged into a wheel opening - get the ones which are mounted under a lug nut or are riveted to the wheel cover.

That caution aside, I love the extensions becasue it makes it possible for me to check tire pressures as often as I should.

Hi Clint,

I have factory installed stems on my Dream and have installed many extenders on other rigs. I've never lost a pound of air in 6 years on mine.

One thing to keep in mind is use the steel jacketed extenders! When we install them we drill holes in the hub covers and rivet the mount. It's usually pretty easy to thread the extender on the existing stem. Then the extender is held in place by a nut. I can't say what has happened to those we install on other rigs but I've never heard of anyone coming back with a problem.

Jim, thanks for the info. the crossfire system looks pretty good, my only concern with this system is if the indicator is in the black, how would you know which tire is loosing air? In this instance the extension on each tire may be the best way.
clint

Another question (problem?) about the Crossfire system is that you must order them for a particular set air pressure. What do you do if you add more stuff to your coach or shift your load around significantly and, as a result, require more or less air in a particular tire or pair? 

Karl said:
Another question (problem?) about the Crossfire system is that you must order them for a particular set air pressure. What do you do if you add more stuff to your coach or shift your load around significantly and, as a result, require more or less air in a particular tire or pair? 

I don't see this as a problem. The pressure you order for is where the black mark is when you are cold before driving. Mine is 85, but I like a little safety so I inflate to 90. I see that is about one third way up from the black hash mark to the red. If I wanted to go on to 95 that would be at the red. So for just changing loads I have a lot of leeway just by knowing the history of the indicators. Also, if it super cold here, like 50 degrees, the indicator will be down at or below the hash mark.

Also, with these and pressure pro, you quickly learn  what effect the outside temp has on tire pressure. Much more than I ever realized. If I drive an hour on a warm day , the indicator are all the way up in red and stay there a few hours after parking. One day I check my duals out on Oklahoma turnpike on a very hot day and I had 143 pounds!

On another forum I saw the formula for calculating temp vs tire pressure so all these charts, like from tire manufacturers, that have you putting air in at a set pressure, don't really take into account where her are, like Yuma on a hot day or Belgrade MT on a fall day.

And  if I changed tires and had significant change in pressures I would just order a new set of Crossfires. They are now around $65 bucks so that would by insignificant when installing a couple of thousand dollars of new tires.

Bob

I like the idea of the Crossfire system. Visited their web site, $65 is about right. My question, did you have to remove the outer wheel to install the system ? My 05 Minnie has very little room to work with around the valve stems.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom