Tires how low do you go

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dcrbtt

When do you change Tires?

With my car I go to the wear bar 2/32, or the first time the car slips in wet weather.

I was thinking about 4/32, because I want no issues while on the Road.

Unless you drive an unusual amount of RV miles, the tires will age out before you get to 4/32. If you are adverse to risk, you will want to change tires somewhere between 5-10 years of age. Most motorhome owners (19-22" tires) will choose 7 years or so, while trailer owners (smaller tires in 99% of rigs) opt for about 5 years. Those who are less risk-adverse might go 8-10 years.

Unless you drive an unusual amount of RV miles, the tires will age out before you get to 4/32. If you are adverse to risk, you will want to change tires somewhere between 5-10 years of age. Most motorhome owners (19-22" tires) will choose 7 years or so, while trailer owners (smaller tires in 99% of rigs) opt for about 5 years. Those who are less risk-adverse might go 8-10 years.
The Tires are 3 years old I plan on 7,000 miles this year and 14,000 next year so I will get down to 4/32 before they are 7 years old.

Then I'd probably start shopping around at 4/32 and figure on having new ones installed before they get much more use. But I don't run any of my tires down to 2/32 - that's insufficient tread depth for me. I live in the Southeast where heavy rains are common and deep grooves are a necessity to avoid hydroplaning.

DOT regulation for commercial vehicles is minimum 4/32 tread on steer tires and 2/32 rear. RV's aren't regulated as commerical, but in terms of size and weight, they're not all that different. I'd adhere to that as a minimum, although I am fairly certain my tires will age out before I use that much tread. Sadly.

There are two standards... The wear bar or the famous president's hairdo test (If the entire head is visible the tire is wore out. NOTE that tread depth is most important on other than clear dry pavement. on Clear dry pavement don't much matter. But since you can count on "Other than clear dry pavement" Do't run they bald.

The other is .. as someone said 7 years A 22.5" Class A you won't ever wear the tread down. They age out. and over age tend to go BOOM.

Then I'd probably start shopping around at 4/32 and figure on having new ones installed before they get much more use. But I don't run any of my tires down to 2/32 - that's insufficient tread depth for me. I live in the Southeast where heavy rains are common and deep grooves are a necessity to avoid hydroplaning.
I agree, 4/32" is the minimum for truck tires steer axle anyway; 2/32" for auto and LT tires.

A tire can last about 5 to 7 years. They can last longer with regular maintenance and proper care. I regularly check them to see if they are still usable as it is very safety related.

When do you change Tires?

With my car I go to the wear bar 2/32, or the first time the car slips in wet weather.

I was thinking about 4/32, because I want no issues while on the Road.
its always the age that sets the tire change sequence at least on motorhomes that I have seen and not actual tire wear

2/32 is pretty slim for a wet or sandy or oily road surface, so I'd be inclined to 3/32 or even 4/32. Often the tire ages out before getting that much tread wear.

Slightly off the topic - I don't get why the tire industry standard is to speak in 32nds of an inch. 2/32 = 1/16 and 4/32 = 1/8. Isn't this more comprehensible to read or speak in 16ths or 8ths than 32nds for the average person?

Slightly off the topic - I don't get why the tire industry standard is to speak in 32nds of an inch. 2/32 = 1/16 and 4/32 = 1/8. Isn't this more comprehensible to read or speak in 16ths or 8ths than 32nds for the average person?
True it is a little confusing but the reccomended tread depth is not a visual or sight evaluation. It is a physical measurement with a tire gauge. Experience tire folks do begin to visually estimate fairly accurately but still, it is based on a physical measurement with a tire guage usually incremented in 32s

The 32nds tread depth measurement has been a tire industry standard almost since treaded tires were invented. It's even codified in Federal law regarding safe tread depths. Note that even in Canada the 32nds of an inch measurement for tire tread depth is the common measurement.

In addition to what Henry and Dutch said, 32nds give you a more accurate measurement, thus a truer picture (especially when it gets thin) of how little tread remains, and since normal wear doesn't get even a 32nd deeper in a handful of miles (it's slow, usually), it helps better to track it over time.

"First time the car slips in wet weather."

Seems as if that is a little too late, to me. I'd bet the guy in front of me or beside me on the highway would say the same thing.

All measurements have rounding error, seldom does a measurement fall exactly on the mark. The denominator indicates the resolution of the measurement, 1/2 of the expressed unit.

For example, a 4/32" measurement encompasses everything + or - 1/64" from the stated distance.

If you say something is 1/8" deep, that encompasses everything + or - 1/16" from there.

By using 4/32" instead of 1/8" you're providing a measurement that is up to 4 times more precise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom