Tires, safe and most reasonable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Going National

Im asking for what you guys think is a safe aend reasonable priced tire for our 34' Dolphin.  I just cant see paying 700+ for a tire..I know there are more reasonable tires out there and maybe some of you have purchased and were satisfied with something like maybe Firestone or others.
Jerry and Teri Lea

Those 22.5''s get pricey, no way around it. Are you getting quotes from a high volume chain like Les Schwab or Big O? In my experience they tend to be very competitive.
Don't skimp on one of the most important safety related items on your rig. A tire separating or blowing out at highway speed is no picnic and can get very expensive not to mention the risk to your family's well being.

Are you aware of the discount available through FMCA on the Michelin brand???

RoyM said:
Don't skimp on one of the most important safety related items on your rig. A tire separating or blowing out at highway speed is no picnic and can get very expensive not to mention the risk to your family's well being.

I understand you want to get the most for your dollar, but this is no place to skimp. 

As previously mentioned, if you join FMCA, which I believe is a good thing@ about $45 per year, Michelin has a program offering discounted prices for members.  Your particular sized tires show a price of $378 ea.  Others to consider would be Hankooks, Hercules, Toyo, Yokohama.

Unfortunately the 235/80 is a very unique size and only made by Michelin, so no price competition and no high volume truck sales either. Goodyear substitutes their 245/75R22.5 for that size, though, so that's an alternative.

Shop around for those two sizes - prices vary considerably among dealers. Try the truck tire companies.  And check out the FMCA program that gives Michelin Fleet pricing.

jc2 said:
As previously mentioned, if you join FMCA, which I believe is a good thing@ about $45 per year, Michelin has a program offering discounted prices for members.  Your particular sized tires show a price of $378 ea.  Others to consider would be Hankooks, Hercules, Toyo, Yokohama.

where did you go to get the price quote of $378?

taoshum said:
where did you go to get the price quote of $378?

It's listed at the FMCA site, http://www.fmca.com/, but you probably have to be a member to see the prices.  Specifically the op's tire size for a Michelin XRV is $378.52 each.  I'm sure mounting/balance would be xtra.

Jerry, I had the Mich 235?s on mine and I switched when it was time to the Mich 255/80 22.5. This size was an option on my MH in 03 so I knew there would be no clearance problems. When you look at other sizes you have to consider the clearance issues for your MH to make sure the rear dual sidewalls don?t touch, front have clearance to do full turn, clearance when bags are deflated, etc. Most of the tire dealers are more than willing to help you with a cross reference on sizing. You can also go the tire mfr website and get size dimensions on each tire so you know what the difference is from yours now. Go here for the Michelin info http://www.michelinrvtires.com/michelinrv/toolbox/reference-material.jsp and have a look at the Rv tire guide to see tire dims on specific sizes. It will give you a good start.
As others have said just shop around to get the best price. As long as you stick with the major mfr?s then you won?t have a problem. A lot of places will sell Michelin or other brand tires even if they can?t install this size, Costco, Discount Tire, Firestone, FMCA, etc. Look at the cost of tires and the install separate, then figure your best combination on price. JMO, hope it helps.

Mavarick said:
Jerry, I had the Mich 235?s on mine and I switched when it was time to the Mich 255/80 22.5.

There is no need for +1 tire size increases on motor homes. The GVWR is based on the total suspension package and generally, tires are not the weakest link. You won't be able to increase your load carrying capacity. The only benefit might be a reduction of air pressure if you have your coach corner weighed and check those weights on a tire chart.

For example, if your drive wheels carry 16,220 per pair, you need to carry 100psi inflation with the 235's. With the 255's, you only need 85psi. But your load capacity isn't increased.

Our Endeavor came with LR G tires that had a maximum capacity of less than the front axle rating, 1150# less.  The tires determined the front GAWR.  When we replaced the tires we went up a size and to LR H and feel more comfortable with the greater margin the larger tires give us, although we are still within the placarded GAWR for both axles.  The lower pressure we can run the new tires at does give a better ride and the tires are nowhere near maximum pressure.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions and experienced replies.. Today we found Bridgestones,245/75R22.5 balanced, aligned and instaled for a total of $3136.38...tell me if this is good..I noticed a large MH with these on at our storage..anyone have experience with Bridgestone and what do you think of the price?
Jerry

That's a reasonable price for 6 tires.  About what we were quoted last spring for Bridgstones for our steer axle in a slightly larger size without installation and balancing.  Bridgestone is a good tire manufacturer and we'll be looking at them when it's time to do our drive axle.

Bridgestone is an excellent tire - they are one of the top brands world-wide. By the way, Firestone is a Bridgestone label and often the Firestone version of a tire is cheaper than the Bridgestone label, yet it is often made in the same factory, to the same specs.

Yea, I think that's a pretty good price too. I would also feel good about the Bridgestone brand.  It's amazing what you can save when you start looking around and talking to others here.
There is no need for +1 tire size increases on motor homes
Bernie, I agree completely. I should have stated I only did this because they were available at the best price and gave me a small increase in ground clearance where I had been dragging going out at my street's end. There was no benefit on the weight capacity side. I was just trying to point out the possibility of switching sizes to use other mfr brands.

Well we finally got new tires for the Dolphin.  We joined FMCA and got the Michelin discount thru them. 378.00 a piece..balancing, alignment, new stems installation, disposal fees, taxes,,yikes!!!! another 745.00. So there you have it,,that's what it costs for new tires...My advice,,if your buying a used MH always get new tires rolled into the deal...because you know what? You are going to find so much more you'll want to do to make the MH your own and that costs enough to do..Anyway, my family and I feel alot SAFER with the new tires. 
Happy Traveling!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom