Tires, TPMS, blowouts, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are there no real tests of ST tires?

Needing to replace some 205/75/14D due to wear, close to age, but really not seeing anything that really compares available tyres, pressure would be 65PSI.
Are you looking for a "Consumer Reports" style comparative test by an unbiased source? I don't know of any. There are some reviews available, but it's not clear whether they actually test or just report what they've read elsewhere, or maybe even got advertising kickbacks for. Here's one from Forbes magazine, for example.

You can Google 'trailer tire test review' and find an assortment, but most appear to be little more than vague generalities coupled with links to sales sites.

I had a flat tire on my Jeep when I came out from Mountain Quail Cafe this past week in Quartzsite.

I got 5 new Michelin tires, (also replaces the spare).

I looked at the sides of my RV tires and replaced them also plus a wheel so I could have a spare for the RV for a total of 12 tires.

I then went to the Big Tent and purchased a TST 507 for all 10 tires.
I already had the factory tire pressure readout for the Jeep but it does not help when towing,

The TST sales table at the big tent beat the Amazon price by 15% for the same system plus they added 4 additional sensors.

I also got 20% off on a new Blue Ox Avail tow bar.

Last edited:
Do you have any idea why on just that one tire?

If wheel alignment is off, I would expect it to effect both front tires the same.
Actually, it may have been both tires, however, my tire minder sensor for the other front tire was not functioning, so it was not showing the temp. I did replace the battery, but to no avail. I have two new sensors on order and will receive them next Monday from Amazon.

I did replace the battery, but to no avail.
What type of battery? I have found many small NEW batteries to be DOA, ordered from Amazon. I always test batteries on a voltmeter before I install them, new or not.

But so far, they have all been the batteries for my motorcycle GPS units. They use very small batteries that don't have much of a shelf life. They are mostly CR2020s or smaller.

-Don- Salton Sea SRA, CA

What type of battery? I have found many small NEW batteries to be DOA, ordered from Amazon. I always test batteries on a voltmeter before I install them, new or not.

But so far, they have all been the batteries for my motorcycle GPS units. They use very small batteries that don't have much of a shelf life. They are mostly CR2020s or smaller.

-Don- Salton Sea SRA, CA
Batteries were 1632, and a little hard to find. Guess I should have a voltmeter.

Batteries were 1632, and a little hard to find. Guess I should have a voltmeter.
Judy, if your TPMS is an actual Tire Minder brand, they have a free replacement battery program.

Note that the maximum tire pressure reading is 87 PSI. That rules out usage on many RV's, particularly larger motorhomes.

In reading through the details and reviews, this TPMS appears to be yet another unit that doesn't provide any tire info until the vehicle has been underway for a few minutes. That prevents pre-trip checking of the conditions. There are TPMS that read while standing still, such as the TST 507 units. Pricey, but many of us have been quite happy with their performance.

Last edited:
Les Schwab states, "Tire pressure can decrease about 1 PSI (pounds per square inch) for every 10 degrees the temperature drops".

So if you live in Reno with a wide variation in diurnal temperatures this can impact the cold PSI by 3 to 4 PSI. If you filled up the tires in the morning versus afternoon it makes a difference. If you live in Miami not so much of an issue.

I learned this lesson the hard way. This morning it was 1 degree Fahrenheit and currently it's 33F. A 32F difference. I've learned to ignore the TPMS warning of under inflation when cold out. Back when we got our 2016 Ram I set the tires to 60 PSI and 65 PSI per the placard to get the TPMS light to go off. It was 5F. Drove it to Las Vegas from Grand Junction. It was outside of St George, Utah that my TPMS dashboard warnings activated on the Interstate. The outside temperature was in the mid 70's. The tires were over-inflated.

EeNWZk7U4AAB3bM.png

Les Schwab states, "Tire pressure can decrease about 1 PSI (pounds per square inch) for every 10 degrees the temperature drops".

So if you live in Reno with a wide variation in diurnal temperatures this can impact the cold PSI by 3 to 4 PSI. If you filled up the tires in the morning versus afternoon it makes a difference. If you live in Miami not so much of an issue.

I learned this lesson the hard way. This morning it was 1 degree Fahrenheit and currently it's 33F. A 32F difference. I've learned to ignore the TPMS warning of under inflation when cold out. Back when we got our 2016 Ram I set the tires to 60 PSI and 65 PSI per the placard to get the TPMS light to go off. It was 5F. Drove it to Las Vegas from Grand Junction. It was outside of St George, Utah that my TPMS dashboard warnings activated on the Interstate. The outside temperature was in the mid 70's. The tires were over-inflated.

View attachment 161457

With the individual tire pressure readings displayed on the typical TPMS we use with our RV's, it's easy to see that the pressure drop due to low temperatures that trip an alarm is fairly equal across all tires, rather than a single tire losing an abnormal amount of air due to a problem. Then the decision can be made if the pressure is close enough that the normal rolling warm up will soon bring the pressure above the trigger point. The TPMS systems used on other vehicles may only trigger a dash warning light that gives no other details about the alert.

1632 is rather large for a TPMS sensor. That is what this RV uses, but they are the flow-through type, so the sensors are quite large.

I have not had any issues with 1632's. The much smaller ones I use on motorcycles are the ones where I find perhaps 15% of new ones to be dead or a lot lower voltage than they should be.

-Don- Salton Sea SRA, CA

I totally forgot to even think about the tire dates the last couple of times I purchased new tires. But all six of them have the date of either "3521" or "4421".

Are these dates considered within reason for new tires?

What is the typical age of a new Class C RV tire, such as with my LT225/75R16's?

-Don- Salton Sea SRA, CA

I totally forgot to even think about the tire dates the last couple of times I purchased new tires. But all six of them have the date of either "3521" or "4421".

Are these dates considered within reason for new tires?

What is the typical age of a new Class C RV tire, such as with my LT225/75R16's?

-Don- Salton Sea SRA, CA
Yes, the are 35th week of 2021 and 44th week of 2021.

Roger Marble/Tireman9 on RVing forums, says on his website that DOT approved tires can withstand temperatures over 180°, but I forget the exact number. Higher than that number the tire begins to degrade.
Trailer tires should always be ran at sidewall maximum pressure to help withstand the extreme stress's involved with tandem axles.
I remember one year in Van, TX I watched a man towing a 5er make a spot U-turn in an empty street, the blacktop was so hot and sticky he rolled a tire off the rim and carved a divot in the blacktop.

This morning, all six tires showed on my GPS as ~76 psi, within 1 or 2 psi before driving.

After driving 40 miles (fairly warm day) I checked my TPMS. All six were in the high 80's or around 88 psi (all within 2 psi still) and the temps on all six were also in the high 80's.

The two wheels where I had the blowouts, looked just like all the others in both temps and psi. So I assume there was no problem other than crappy old (~ 5 years old) tires.

-Don- Borrego Springs, CA

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom