tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobg1946

just bought a 89 mallard sprinter, 22ft.    back tires are coopers, srm2 8.00 r16.5 slt. still a lot of treadware+no cracking.  on the front they had goodrich tires that are worn badly on the edges, due 2 either over inflating or aligenment?  what i,d like to know is if it would unwise 2 buy just 2 new coopers for the front????    were talking 135 bucks a tire here.                                                      appreciate any info.

Tires have a life expectancy of 5 to 7 years from date of manufacture.? Use of tires older than the 5 - 7 years is just an invitation to tire problems while on the road.? Check the date code on each tire.? This is the numbers after? the letters DOT found on only one side of the tire.? For a very informative video on tires please see the Michelin video?by clicking on TIRE VIDEO

I second Rons advice. 7 years is about as long as you want to run a tire before getting new ones. You can't tell theiir true condition by just looking at them. I tried pushing mine past the 7 year mark and I lost the first one (inner right rear) coming down the back side of Black Mountain on NC 40.? :eek: Got a used tire to get me to Branson MO, where I bit the bullet and put on 6 new ones.....

$135 is cheap compared to the damage that can occur when the tire goes and takes motorhome body parts with it...

David Derway

bobg1946 said:
just bought a 89 mallard sprinter, 22ft. back tires are coopers, srm2 8.00 r16.5 slt. still a lot of treadware+no cracking. on the front they had goodrich tires that are worn badly on the edges, due 2 either over inflating or aligenment? what i,d like to know is if it would unwise 2 buy just 2 new coopers for the front???? were talking 135 bucks a tire here. appreciate any info.

Hi and welcome to the RV Forum.? We are happy to have you with us and hope that you stick around and participate on a regular basis.

Re your question on tires: you have received some excellent advise.? I urge you to take a look at the section on tires and tire date codes in the RV Glossary here on the forum.? Just search for RV Glossary of Terms and then go to the section on tires and tire date codes.? Read the manufacturing dates on ALL of your vehicle's tires and if they are prior to April 2000 you should replace all of them.? As the article points out, the tires may LOOK "good" with no or few cracks, but tires lose their plasticizing agents with long term exposure to UV light and heat.? You REALLY do not want to have a blow out, particularly on the front, when traveling on high speed interstates or winding mountain roads.

Good luck and congratulations on your new "toy".? ;D

bobg1946 said:
....? on the front they had goodrich tires that are worn badly on the edges, due 2 either over inflating or aligenment??.... ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Trandem axle tires on a trailer tend to wear that way, no matter what the inflation.? ?They are on fixed axles and will scrub on turns.? ? Next time you are hitched up, watch the trailer tires when you make a slow turn, say when are backing in to a paved site.? ?You will be amazed by the goofy aspects they assume.

Regards,

Carl L/LA

Back
Top Bottom