Title and registration problem with an old popup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zachb2508

Hello everyone, I'm from the Rochester NY area. I was recently given a 1987 Starcraft starflyer by an old boss. The problem is it was also given to him with no title or registration, and his original plan was to have it up at his camp sight and not move it, but he never had the time to fix it up so it sat abandoned for a while. We have no info on the last registered owner, or anything of the sort. What's the best way to receive a new title in our name from the DMV? Do we claim it as abandoned? Any and all answers will be appreciated, thank you!

This is going to be a tough one. I went through a similar situation here in Florida.

The way I read New York is that your boss (the current seller) has to track down the previous owner and get an affidavit of lost title.

Let's say that person is dead. Now you have to figure out who might come out and claim ownership.

I think the path here is to try and find out if the state has a record of the last title. I think there is a path to that here in Florida. Getting a copy of a title to to a vehicle you don't own.

Then you gotta find that person or not, and go from there.

Frustration level is gonna be super high. It's gonna seem totally illogical at times but lets say on the outside chance the trailer was actually stolen. The title proves who owns it. If I was the owner, I sure would enjoy that while I may never get the trailer back the thief could not legally sell it.

If you can find a VIN then the sheriff can help you find the previous owner. NYSP will not help you.
Tell the sheriff that it is abandoned on the property. If you cannot find a VIN then you can go to the DMV and register it as homemade. They will give you a new VIN number. You then have to use a Metal number stamp tool to EMboss the numbers on the frame.
Such as
You then call the sheriff and have them come out and inspect to certify the number. NYSP will not help you
That is the procedure I had to follow on an old boat trailer I bought

My instructions from Florida were very similar to what Darsben said. I was advised to file an abandoned property "case" - It's a legal case and there are filing fees etc. This was in fact a real abandoned vehicle on my property when I bought it.

All I wanted was a car crusher or pick a part place to take it away. None of the "legit guys" would take it without a title - they actually get audited for vehicles they acquire. So I was faced with up to $600 in fees (court case plus titling costs) in order to give this POS away.

I found a guy who didn't care about the title and was happy to haul it away for free.

The answer depends on what state you are in. I would start by contacting your DMV and ask them what to do. There are probably model and serial numbers somewhere on the trailer, probably near the tongue.

You need a NY DMV answer; what somebody did in Florida or Utah doesn't help. Go to a small town DMV office and explain your problem and see what they recommend. I say 'small town' because they usually have more time & inclination to help than a busy big city office.

If you can find the VIN, the NY DMV should be able to track down the last recorded title, IF there ever was a NY title registered. The VIN on a trailer is usually stamped somewhere on the trailer frame rail (left front is common) and also on a plate or sticker there (if it is still readable). You would need the VIN to get a new title & registration anyway.

Back
Top Bottom