to cover or not to cover that is the ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JIGGS

I have just bought new tires. know i wonder is it worth the money to buy covers for the tires. The sun in pa is not as bad as some states but it still has ultraviolet rays. By keeping the tires in shade make that much deference in the longevity of the rubber or will it be another target for my neighbors dog.
p.s. I will post that too. how to plug a dog from peeing on everything.

I just did run into an advertisement of GoodYear.
Quote:" The Goodyear Unisteel G670 RV has technology that helps shield your motorhome tires from ozone and UV rays. Anti-oxidant compounds throughout the Unisteel G670 RV form a protective barrier that guards against the effects of weather cracking. In fact, we have so much confidence in this tire, it's backed by a 5-Year Limited Warranty from the date of purchase.
So get rid of awkward, expensive RV covers, and face the elements head on with Goodyear Unisteel G670 RV.
Goodyear. Keeping America Rolling".

chris

I have just bought new tires. know i wonder is it worth the money to buy covers for the tires.

Not really.  As the message above, tire makers compound their tires againt UV damage.  I have stored a trailer in southern California for a decade with out tire covers and without UV damage  I am on my third set.

Don't bother with tire covers - it's a waste of money and effort.  Without  tires covers your tires will last about 7 years. With covers, your tires will last their full natural lifetime, which happens to be... 7 years.

The UV inhibitors and other compounds in the "rubber" are sufficient for 7 years. Nothing you do can make them last much longer.  If you want to do your tires a favor, drive on them periodically. That keeps the chemicals in the rubber compounds circulating woithin the tread and sidewalls and makes sure they can do their job throughout the entire tire.  When a tire sits without flexing, the UV and flexibility compounds don't work as well.

Well I guess I should of waited to ask the question. I just got highways magazine. In it the tech topic was tires. One thing it says that covering the tires makes no difference in tire life. It also says something of intrest. The man that wrote the article has been in the tire business for thirty years. He has seen spare tires that has never been on the ground explode due to age and have done damage to the back of the unit. Just some thing to think about.

JIGGS said:
He has seen spare tires that has never been on the ground explode due to age....

That one I find tough to believe, assuming he's saying the tire exploded while in storage (i.e. not mounted on the vehicle).

The article doesn't say what state he was from. He says do to the age of the tire. It was 8 years old when it blew. The only thing I could think of was the tire got so much sun . Being mounted on the back of the motor home and got the full sun for eight years.

Back
Top Bottom