To Cover or not

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HazeGray

I live by Palm Springs California and am looking the best way to cover my RV from the 100+ degree heat. We can?t build a structure due to city codes but were wondering if any of the tarp type coverings advertised in RV parts catalogs are worth the money. I also have heard that if you use these covers they will damage the exterior of your RV. Any help would be appreciated. Thx, HazeGray

I have been through three of them. Two from Campingworld, one from Wal Mart....Yes, Walmart. The Walmart wins hands down. One, it was half the price. Two, it was made of a lighter material, that won't harm the paint. HINT.....Make sure you don't allow the cover to flap in the breeze. In time, it will scuff the paint. Once you get the cover on your RV, (no easy task), make certain to secure it with the straps along the bottom and front and rear. Then buy a rope to secure it all the way around the belly of your RV. You RV will stay looking new for years.

Yep!  the best advice is to keep the cover from flapping in the wind, as it will wear down the finish as has been mentioned.

Covers have helpful uses I'm sure, but most RV owners don't bother with them.  Keeping your roof maintained and exterior waxed is a better habit to get into, in terms of protecting against sun UV damage (which I'm thinking is what you are referring to in your mention of 100-degree heat).

what about keeping snow and ice out of AC and fridge vents? Can a person just get a top cover?

There are smaller covers for those vented areas, if it is a concern.  But snow and ice are just water, which should "run off" the rooftop when it melts just like rain does during the camping season.  The proper factory gaskets and seals should keep water from going anywhere that it's not supposed to go.

Plus I doubt the OP will have too many issues with snow and ice in Palm Springs, CA.  ;)

Palm Springs? I wish!! Nope.. Central MN is where my 37' MH sits. Next to the house.

I'm a bit better than you in central IL ... but I know your winters probably last a month or two longer.  They say El Nino will help us out this year?  (fingers crossed)

scottydl said:
I'm a bit better than you in central IL ... but I know your winters probably last a month or two longer.  They say El Nino will help us out this year?  (fingers crossed)

Double crossed!  ;)

Back
Top Bottom