TO Isaac-1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks, we are watching this storm close, looks like it will go east of us, if the projections are correct all we will see are winds of 40ish mph with gusts to 50-60mph.

It’s amazing that Katrina was 16 years ago this coming Sunday. Now another one. Be safe everyone. We’ll all be praying for you.

Yep, you folks in SW La. got more than your share last year. It looks like my kids/grandkids/great grandkids located just north of BR may get a pretty good storm!

To everyone that will experience the effects of this storm, Best Wishes for a safe, dry next few days! memtb

I always wonder when they tell a million people to evacuate where are they supposed to go on a moments notice?

I've never been in that situation but have seen the evauation routes in Florida and could only imagine horrendus traffic jams.

Good luck young man, hope all goes well for you.

The answer is anywhere they can, often at a very slow pace. I live about 80 miles inland on one of those evacuation routes, even on the west side of the state in the area only expected to get 40-60 mph winds tomorrow night we are seeing increased traffic, (lots of north and west bound RV's) with people heading to Arkansas or Texas, however far they have to drive to get to a safe place to stop, for some that traditionally means shelters set with cots up in high school gyms, etc. for others it means driving until they can find an RV site, motel room or perhaps some relative's house. Our town has traditionally been spared the worst of hurricanes, that is until Laura last year which hit as a strong cat 4 (1 mph short of cat 5), and just kept going (was still cat 1 until nearly Arkansas). Our second worst hurricane in living memory was Rita 16 years ago, which still had 90+ mph winds when the eye passed 40 miles west of us, Laura was a whole different experience with 130+ mph with the eye passing over our house, leaving about 1 in 5 houses in our town uninhabitable, many of which are still not rebuilt, others are being torn down after the insurance companies declare them beyond repair.

The problem living along an evacuation route like we do is those leaving from the cities south of us buy up all the gasoline as they leave, with the gas terminals at the refinaries closer to the coast being closed until after the storm, none of the local gas stations can resupply until after the storm passes and the terminals open back up. In the areas where there are mandatory evacuations one can expect the highways will be at a near standstill, When Rita hit our side of the state 3 weeks after Katrina hit New Orleans, it was taking people evacuating Lake Charles over 8 hours to go just 50 miles the day before the storm hit, and this was with contra-flow being activating on most of the highways (all lanes going north). I was in Lake Charles that day and made the 50 mile drive north in a bit over 2 hours, though it was an 90+ mile round about route taking back roads, some of which were dirt and staying off the highways whenever possible.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom