TOAD MIATA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom Hoffman

We have decided to tow our Miata using a tow bar to Yuma for the winter.  Once hooked up.  What do I need to do to the car other than shifting to neutral.  It is a 5 sp manual trans.

Steering wheel locked in place??? 

If so how?

Any ninny nanny stuff you have learned by experience that would be helpful to us.

Thanks...

Tom... ;D ;D ;D

My wife's Miata sits at home because Mazda says it isn't towable...not four down or on a dolly.

When i looked into it a few years back, something was mentioned about using apump to circulate the fluids in the transmission. 

I recall talking with another MH owner who was towing his Miata.  He said there was no problem - yet.  He reported stopping every 100 to 125 miles just to start the engine and "splash" some fluids / oils.

Since I posted I did a general search on google and yes mazda does say that but there seems to be a large consensus that it is an easily towed car and does not sustain damage to the car,  Mazda I suspect is just CTA.  E Trailer has all the compatible parts and roadmaster makes the parts to be bolt on. 

So I guess we are going forward.

Our car is a 95' so it's not like a really heavy loss if our roll of the dice does not pan out.

We will see.

Steering wheel UNLOCKED  when towing to allow the front tires to track the MH. 

I do not remember if the key has a chip, required to start the car.  If it does, get a key cut and DO NOT PROGRAM THE CHIP!  The key will unlock the doors and release the steering wheel lock, but will not start the car.  Great for towing security.  Get it programmed after you get to AZ.

I pulled a standard transmission 1991 Miata all over the country. Transmission in nuetral and steering wheel has to be UNLOCKED.

Have your wife get out and stand by the car while you pull forward slowly with the emergency flashers on. She needs to make sure ALL the wheels on the Miata are turning and that the brake lights are working.

If you forget to release the emergency brake you'll never feel it as the Miata is only about 2400 lbs. Ask me how I know.

I feel your pain.  I too have my share of bone headed occurrences. 

My wife tells me I am earning nursing home points. ;D ;D ;D

Towed our manual 99 without any issues using a Road Master system through etrailer.com Remember a '95 Miata only weighs 2300lbs so you will not feel it and we used magnetic lights purchased on Amazon for around $30. Never had any issues with braking even a few times where brakes needed to be firmly applied.

Don't expect the Miata to be Costco friendly. Personally I miss the Miata but needed more vehicle capacity.

Thanks Bill,  we will have our SUV for shopping. 

We just wanted a 4X4 UTV or a Honda Goldwing Trike for adventure trips.  We gave up on the UTV as they are used down in Yuma to transport 10 illegals or 25 bales of MJ. 

Goldwing is nice but my hips make it hard to throw my leg over the seats.  So the Miata seemed like a good compromise

Actually I need one for each foot....  I am quite a bit larger than the average bear.  I fit in the passenger seat as long as the top is down when I get in then my wife  :-*  closes the top over me before she gets in to drive. ;D

True Story:

About 10 years ago, in the winter, I was picking up my wife from work.  While I waited, a tall, stately 80 year old lady emerged from the beauty shop next door, with her daughter.  They went to the passenger side of a Z3.  Daughter unlocked and opened the door.  Mom stood still.  Daughter got in the driver seat, started the engine and lowered the top about half way.  Mom got in and closed the door.  Top went back up and they left.

Back
Top Bottom