Toad towing issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smoky said:
Had 2 nights boondocking at WalMart and one night at Holiday Inn

Didn't realize you could boondock at Holiday Inn. Is that a corporate policy, or did you happen to know the manager?

Only calculating 6.5 mpg so far but that includes lots of genset hours.

You either drove a very small numer of miles or ran the genset for a huge number of hours. IIRC the genset uses something like 0.5 gallons/hour. When you get some road miles under your belt, even with genset usage, you should see somewhere around 9 mpg.

I ran over 7 curbs the first day, 2 the second day and only 2 more since the second day

Sounds like you're going to be buying your first replacement tires much earlier than most folks.

Welcome back Smoky.  Glad to hear you have Big Sky home now.  Hope the new owner of the house won't mind the big tree missiing.

We wish you a quick recovery from the eye surgery.

One question though.  If you boondock at a Hoilday inn can you really say 'I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night" like in the TV comercial?

Congratulations on Delivery of Big Sky.  Looking forward to the walk through at Sam's Camp.

Karl said:
Bernie,

I certainly won't argue with the experts (Remco and you), but personally never heard of a tranny where the gears rattled around or moved on their own unless they were really worn ;D

It is more likely that if you tow with the towed in nuteral, and a remco disconnect/lock installed and properly set, the slight amount of friction in the bearings may be enough to turn the tranny anyway,  Likely not enough to burn it up, but it will run up miles on the old millage meter.  Thus causing complaints

Towing in park fixes this for most cars... Some cars sense millage differently and this won't help. but I have not seen a car that sensed at the wheel ever, read about them, but never seen one

Smoky

>>I ran over 7 curbs the first day, 2 the second day and only 2 more since the second day.<<

Was that before or after the eye surgery?<G>

Terry
At Clark Fork, ID

Karl said:
Update - key on, no miles recorded :)  Of course, the tires are still getting wear.

True, which is why every time you twist the collar on that axel lock you take a good look at the passenger front tire (Actually you should look at all 4 but you got to look at that one, you are lying your hand on it as you reach behind it to lock/unlock the axel)

I do believe in good tires..... I've gotten many a good laugh thanks to having good tires which were chosen with MICHIGAN in mind.

(Of course the person I was laughing at did not find it so funny.. He had good tires too,, good for Texas however, not Michigan)

Terry:

That was before the eye surgery.  I could use that as an excuse, but that really was not a factor heheh.  User inexperience was the factor.  I am finding the coach MUCH harder to negotiate through narrow aisles than my 30 foot trailer was.  It is MUCH easier to drive on a long trip and I am less tired when I reach home.  But going into a parking lot is MUCH more difficult than the trailer was.  I am rapidly improving and should reach expert status in another week lol. I just hope the tires last during my education. :eek:

I should clarify the Holiday Inn boondocking.

We took the coach to see a Montgomery Gentry outdoor concert in Solomons Maryland.  The concert was awesome.  The concert location was a short walk away from the Solomons Holiday Inn.  My son is the general manager there.  We were permitted to park right next to the Montgomery Gentry tour bus which was a 2004 Prevost done in an ugly Red and Maroon.

We got some chuckles because we had friends come by to see us and began drawing small crowds.  I think people saw "Kountry Star" on the side of the Newmar and thought we were involved with the concert.  I overheard one guy telling his wife as they walked by, there is Montgomery's motorhome (pointing at out coach), and that ugly red one over there is where the band travels.  :D

We got many compliments on the coach.  It really looked nice with all the slideouts out (nice to know the general manager  :D) and of course the Prevost had no slideouts at all.  We got to meet some of the band members, but never got a chance to see the inside of the Prevost.  I bet the inside was much nicer looking than the outside.

Back
Top Bottom