Toads for a class C V10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DrivePirates

We were wondering what a good reccomendation would be as a toad for a 29' class C Minnie Winnie? Looking too tow four down.
Thanks!!!

There are many light weight toads that will work for you. Just pick the one you like. We towed a CRV when we had a gas chassis with V10.

We see a lot of CRV's as toads, behind everything from gas to diesel, small to large. They are very popular and obviously practical.

By comparison, our 2006 Honda Accord 4-dr 6-speed manual actually weighs in slightly less than the CRV at 3150 wet. And it is plug and play.  8)

Then there's the Jeeps!

So lots of choices!

Is the chassis an E350 or an E450?  That will have a big impact on the combined cargo capacity (CCC or GCWR).  Typically, the E450 will be 20,000 lb GCWR.  I'm not sure of the E350, but it will be less.  Subtract the GVWR of the MH and basically you have the maximum weight can be towed.  Then you have to examine the hitch.  Most likely it will be 3500 lb and will be the limiting feature.

What the heck????? Am I so stupid??? We happen too own a 1993 jeep grand wagoneer. It is basically a cheroke with a 318 in it. From the research I've been doing it may just be the ticket we are looking for. The sad part is.... My 19 year old son is not going to be happy when he sees it hooking up and following the Minnie Winnie.  :'( Oh well, he probably wouldn't treat it the way it deserves anyway. Now the question is, Where to get a tow bar for this bad boy??? Did I see somewhere someone that mentioned  a place named Remco?

Watch the weight on that Grand Cherokee - I suspect you are going to be in the 4500# plus category, and probably the max your coach is rated for will be 5000#.

Do your homework and understand all the weight specifications so that you are not overloaded before you put yourself in the coach with your goodies. It can happen!

The Library will have some information on towing and calculating weight and there have been several threads recently on towing to capacity with Class C's.

Loading equipment to the maximum limits, while possible technically, is not always a safe practice.

I do seem to be a bit confused on the curb weight of this rig. After looking it seems that the grand cheroke is basically 3500 lbs. and the grand wagoneer is 4500 lbs. My grand wagoneer looks identical to a grand cheroke (it is not the full size rig) what makes it 1000 lbs heavier? Can I just run it over a truck scale to find out actuall weight?
skyking4ar2 said:
Watch the weight on that Grand Cherokee - I suspect you are going to be in the 4500# plus category, and probably the max your coach is rated for will be 5000#.

Do your homework and understand all the weight specifications so that you are not overloaded before you put yourself in the coach with your goodies. It can happen!

The Library will have some information on towing and calculating weight and there have been several threads recently on towing to capacity with Class C's.

Loading equipment to the maximum limits, while possible technically, is not always a safe practice.

This is what I have come up with, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Grand_Cherokee. I believe the curb weight for this rig runs 3901 lbs. considering it has the V-8 in it. I get that from the lower right hand side of this linked page. Am I wrong? I would hate to overload our new baby and do damage to her.

Scaling both your RV and your toad, especially if you are on the edge, is the proper procedure. Local truck scales, CAT scales at Love's, etc. It's helpful if they are loaded like you will use them, too. I know it sounds picky but three to five hundred pounds either way makes a difference in how your rig handles towing and especially stopping.

It's not enough that you can pull it, you have to be able to stop it. You will see many posts here on the subject of weights, towed vehicle weights, braking systems, weight to horsepower, and scaling the vehicles. It's an important part of your education and should not be overlooked.

I recommend you peruse the towing topic on the Forum and get a feel for what is required before you get invested in a specific toad and towing system that your motorhome might not be well suited to.

DrivePirates,

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Sounds like you are having a great time getting things together.  The Minn-Winnie will be lots of fun.

You really do need to calculate all the weights you will be working with: 

First you need the Gross Vehicle weight rating (what the RV actually weighs) of the Minni-Winnie.  I would take it to a scale to actually weigh it fully loaded with all your stuff, toys, food, clothes etc.  Often dealers add things on to the RV and it will weigh more than from the manufacturer.

Then you need to find out what the CGVW (Combined gross weight rating) is.  That is usually on a silver plaqcard on the wall near the driver's seat.

At this point you need to subtract what your Minni-Winnie actually weighs (GVWR) and the CGVW.  That number is what you can actually tow.

The next step is to see what rating your hitch is that is on the Minni-Winnie.  It usually is only rated for 3500#.  You may need to replace it with a bigger rated hitch only if the numbers you calculated above warrants it.  The biggest problem with gas engine RVs, especially Class C, is that the chassie often has been extended from the frame which can be a weak point, thus the #3500 hitch.

Sorry to be so "anal" with this, but safety is important.  It is also a good thing to be within the numbers set by the manufacture in case of an accident, even if it wasn't your fault.  It this legal driven world we now live in I would want the numbers to be right.

Don't forget, you will also need a braking system.

Have fun!

Marsha~

For about 4 years I drove a 29' Tioga Class C 450 w/a V10 - and pulled a Jeep Cherokee. The rig was a '98 and the Jeep a '96. I actually wanted a Grand Cherokee but it weighed around 1,000# more.

I finally got rid of the Class C and now drive a '96 Adventurer 34' - and could probably pull a Grand Cherokee, but am content to still pull the Cherokee. Just place the transfer case into neutral and head down the road.

BTW, there were 3 reasons I finally sold the Class C.  (1) It didn't have the storage I needed, (2) it didn't have a slide (was tired of living in an aisle, and (3) the 29' - 30' 450 Tioga's were top heavy. Every time I turned a bit tighter than normal at a speed a bit more than normal - it "really" swayed a lot. I hated that.

THANKS ALL!!!! I think considering I already own the grand wagoneer, I will roll it over the scales and see what its actuall curb weight is and see if it is even an option. I would hate to spend the money on a towing rig up if it is too heavy in the first place. We pick up our new baby this coming Monday and at that time I will also check the weight capacity of the hitch as well. That is something I would have way overlooked. THANKS  We have reservations at the beach next weekend and roll right by a scale on the way. I should have her loaded pretty good at that time so it should be a good time to weight it. One other question. Do most RVers fill water to capacity, leave her empty or should I put about a quarter tank in for roadside stops?

DrivePirates said:
THANKS ALL!!!! I think considering I already own the grand wagoneer, I will roll it over the scales and see what its actuall curb weight is and see if it is even an option. I would hate to spend the money on a towing rig up if it is too heavy in the first place. We pick up our new baby this coming Monday and at that time I will also check the weight capacity of the hitch as well. That is something I would have way overlooked. THANKS  We have reservations at the beach next weekend and roll right by a scale on the way. I should have her loaded pretty good at that time so it should be a good time to weight it. One other question. Do most RVers fill water to capacity, leave her empty or should I put about a quarter tank in for roadside stops?

I usually run with mine full, but if you are going to weigh the rig - I would have it full. I run with mine full because I sometimes decide to boondock as I am driving along and like to have all my water with me....

Good Luck on your new baby!

Jim

So, I took the jeep over the scale today. It weighed in at 4450 with the two of us sitting in it and a full tank of gas. So I figure with our combined weight of 320 and the extra fuel (figure I'll tow with a half tank in the jeep) I'm thinking the toad will weigh 4050+/-. So now too figure out what the overall will be and the tow capacity of the hitch is. After that, make the determination if it is worth hooking up plates to the rig for making it our toad. :-\ After all, it is green :)

Don't forget to add the weight of the tow bar to the overall weight.  Also, you should have auxillary brakes on the Wagoneer - especially since it is pretty heavy for your class C.  Some brakes will add weight to the towed vehicle, but all brakes will add weight to the total weight.

Bar was 15, figured the plate about the same. Brakes???? WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN INTO?????  The brakes I can afford weigh about 120-130lbs. The problem is,,,, she wasn't very happy when I told her she'd be traveling alone  :eek: $300 here $500 there  Where does it end????  :-\ LOL We're thinking FOLDING BIKES :'(

Back
Top Bottom