Tocoma Towing TT..Looks good on paper...but..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grany

Problem here. I have a 2001 Tocoma Pre-runner, off the road, 6cyl with tow package. It is supposed to tow 5000. I sold my fiberglass 13ft Egg camper and bought a 93 18ft Nomad with a wide body because hubby wanted bigger.
I hooked the TT up to Tocoma to go get it's real loaded weight at the scales. Loaded the TT weighed 3760. The 80% rule puts this in an OK tow, well maybe on paper. I am 59 and have been towing boats, campers, and driving motorhomes since I was 14. There was not a sway issue and with brake controller that was OK too. With the OD off, it was a struggle to make it up a Georgia hill grade and forget maintaining 50mph.
Somebody please talk to me. This "old bitty" is ready to cry.

Well, now you know why Carl & I are conservative in our towing appraisals. A small block engine like yours just doesn't have any reserve capacity and the factory tow rating does not promise you  will be happy with the performance. And the marketing people like to advertise big numbers, whether actually justified or not.  I would have guessed you would be OK (if not ecstatic) at 3760 lbs, but obviously that is not so.  Bite the bullet and shop for a more powerful SUV. There is no substitute for lots of cubic inches (or centimeters, if you prefer) when towing.

I feel your pain.  My TT is 3600lbs dry, around 4500lbs loaded.  My Xterra only has 170HP, 200ft-lbs of torque.  The only thing saving me is the rear end gearing of 4.63:1.  I don't have any problems keeping up my speed for the most part.  But as soon as it gets hilly, I have to let it slow down uphill, no point to try to fight it.  I've made piece with the fact that I can't keep my speed going uphill.

Considering trading for a newer Xterra with 265HP and 280ft-lbs, but the rear end is only geared 3:53:1.  The extra power should compensate for the higher gears.

I rarely go more than 100 miles from home, so it's no big deal to drive a little bit slower and take 15 more minutes to get to destination.

Thanks guys!  I guess I knew what I would hear.  Not trading up on the TV I am going back to a fiberglass egg.  The bigger TT has to go and the hubby can put his feet in his pocket for all I care.  I got to go camping!

Back
Top Bottom