Toilet losing water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Hi Guys

Our toilet has just started to lose the small amount of water it usually has following the flush - even if we lift the pedal up and fill the bowl, it empties within a minute or so.

Ive put my hand onto the part which rolls back on flush and tried to 'move' it to close any gap, without success.

As trying to get the coach booked for ANY warranty work takes 2 months of forward planning, I could do with a solution to try myself.

BTW, does anyone know if Fleetwood would cover the cost of taking the coach to an unauthorised repair facility to sort such an urgent problem - we obviously need that water reservior to hold back the smell from the black tank.

Thanks
Paul

Paul

Your seal around the flapper is probably clogged, permitting the water to drain. If you have a Thetford toilet, use a hangar wire or similar to scrape any debris out of the seal that the flapper fits into when closed. If you have a Sealand, work the pedal a few times, maybe even wiping down the the underside of the seal above the flapper. Your rig is too new for anything major. These are normal maintenance items.

UK-RV said:
Hi Guys

Our toilet has just started to lose the small amount of water it usually has following the flush - even if we lift the pedal up and fill the bowl, it empties within a minute or so.

Ive put my hand onto the part which rolls back on flush and tried to 'move' it to close any gap, without success.

As trying to get the coach booked for ANY warranty work takes 2 months of forward planning, I could do with a solution to try myself.

BTW, does anyone know if Fleetwood would cover the cost of taking the coach to an unauthorised repair facility to sort such an urgent problem - we obviously need that water reservior to hold back the smell from the black tank.

Thanks
Paul

I've tried the conventional method of cleaning i.e. running a rough brush or wire around seal to clean it with limited success. I've tried an unconventional method several times and it works for reasons I don't fully understand. I have a valve that I installed from CW to flush black tank which I located near top of tank. If I hook up the hose and turn it with the water on full pressure, it stops the problem. I can only surmise that some debris is up on valve and it cleans it off.

Both Sealand units on the boat will periodically get a little piece of TP jammed between the ball and the seal. I know when it's happened because I hear the vacuum pump(s) running to maintain vacuum. My normal fix is to run my finger around the grove where the seal is. I just have to remember to thoroughly wash my hands before licking my finger  ;D

Tom said:
Both Sealand units on the boat will periodically get a little piece of TP jammed between the ball and the seal. I know when it's happened because I hear the vacuum pump(s) running to maintain vacuum. My normal fix is to run my finger around the grove where the seal is. I just have to remember to thoroughly wash my hands before licking my finger  ;D

Tom,

If you want to stop worrying about licking your finger they do have a tool to clear the obstruction. It's an L shaped piece that is flat on the short end. Just run it around the seal to clear the obstruction. :)

Thanks Guys

There doesn't seem to be that much of a gap between the 'flapper' bit and the toilet itself - I could just about get a thin bit of cardboard under there - certainly not enough to get my finger under.

I was a little upset earlier that neither of the 2 Fleetwood Service Depts rang me back after I left a message - and then I realised it was Sunday.....Im struggling to know what month we're in at the moment, never mind the day. ?;D

Paul

Paul,

There doesn't seem to be that much of a gap between the 'flapper' bit and the toilet itself

There isn't. Sealand comes with a small plastic paddle that you're supposed to place in the gap, and even that's almost too thick. Once you get it clean, the best bet is to make sure all t.p. is thoroughly wet before flushing. Sealand also suggest you let the flush lever spring back (snap) under its' own power, rather than easing it back up with your foot.

let the flush lever spring back

Especially if you are operating with low water pressure.  I did not let it spring back, and the valve did not close, which allowed the bowl to fill and overflow.  One way to tell if your Basement Minder is working ;D

Thanks Jim. I've been using my finger for so many years it's kinda calibrated  ;D

Paul,

Maybe you have larger fingers than I, or maybe you're not opening the valve before trying to stick your finger in  ???

Paul, take a wire coat hanger and make a tool.  You will need a straight piece about 6- inches long.  To this you will need to bend each end 90-degrees.  On one end you will need the bent part to be about 1/2 inch long.  The other end should be bent long enough to use as a handle.  Now with the seal opening open, insert the 1/2 inch bend under the seal area into a slot there, and move it around the entire circle.  Toilet paper often gets clogged in the slot preventing the flap from sealing completely. 

Hope this description of making the tool is of help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opal6502
Back
Top Bottom