Toilet replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ksouers

Our current toilet is the one installed at that factory, so now 26 27 years old, and still performing it's assigned duties with de-stink-tion but it's time for retirement.
I recently installed a chair-height toilet in the house. My wife loves it. She has hip problems, arthritis among them, and trying to stand from a shorter toilet has become an intolerable chore. The taller seating position has alleviated many of the pains involved with simply standing up.

So, I am here asking the collective wisdom and experience of this group for some recommendations for a chair-height toilet. Particularly if, like us, you belong to an older age group (as in you remember when Jimi Hendrix or Janis Joplin were still alive) that has experience with mobility issues.

Kevin

Last edited:
I am a strong advocate of the Dometic 320 (high profile version), this is a semi-disposable design(as in if some parts break, or the main bowl seal leaks you buy a new one), current online price is about $300 (I paid $195 delivered from PPL before covid hit during a sale), it comes with a 1 year warranty. Height is about the same as a standard height residential model, it has a ceramic bowl with a plastic base, only real negative is the all in one foot pedal flush, ie push down a little to fill with water, push down all the way to dump the bowl. The problem is is you push too much while filling you loose all that water you just put in.

An ADA toilet is 17-19 inches. Also need to consider bolt pattern and location (rough in)

Thanks everyone.
I've perused all the options on Amazon, can't say there is one or another that stands out.
Kirk, that link just brought up a listing, not a particular brand or model. What model do you have?
Isaac, I do like the idea of the porcelain bowl. It's a familiar material already known to stand up to brushes and cleansers. I just don't know how plastic would fair, scratches have a habit of breeding bacteria and mold.

RNS, thanks, that is the range of seat height I was looking at.

Kevin

Since you have a specific need for an 18 inch ADA toilet, I won't go on a rant about them. I have a Dometic 320 that the previous owner installed in my trailer to replace the Aqua Magic IV (shorter toilet) and I am leaving it as there are no 15 inch high RV toilets available any longer.

For my house I searched and finally found that Toto makes "universal height" which is ADA compliant 18 inch, and they make "standard height" which is 15 inch, which I bought, Thank You TOTO! Could not be happier with the "flush-a-bility" of the Toto.

https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-Standard-Height-Toilet-White/dp/B00HQEKGB6

Note that "standard height" for a Dometic is about 18 inches, while their short models are about 11 inches for mounting on a raised area above the floor.

71KKrB-qQ3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

51+FijSkUpL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Charles

I just installed this toilet. It's been in service about 1 month and is doing fine. I replace a low profile toilet and TBH it's a bit high as my toilet is also on a raised platform. I am 6 foot tall and my feet are flat on the floor with this height.

You can get a low rise toilet and Thetford makes a 4 inch spacer.

Installation was easy. The bolt pattern was different but the metal floor plate that goes into the tank is a press fit and I was able to rotate it about 30 degrees to align with the 3-9 o'clock pattern. After that two anchor bolts and the water connect.

Like a 3 on a 1-10 scale of difficulty.

1664788990707.png

Thanks Dan. That is one I'd been looking at. Any opinion on the construction? Does it seem sturdy? I like the wide base. My wife is 6'1", when she can stand fully upright, and all legs. Her biggest problem has been her butt sits lower than her knees making it much more difficult to stand up. The unit I installed in the house, at 17 inches seat height, seems to have resolved that.

You mentioned a spacer. Have you tried it?

Kevin

Thanks Dan. That is one I'd been looking at. Any opinion on the construction? Does it seem sturdy? I like the wide base. My wife is 6'1", when she can stand fully upright, and all legs. Her biggest problem has been her butt sits lower than her knees making it much more difficult to stand up. The unit I installed in the house, at 17 inches seat height, seems to have resolved that.

You mentioned a spacer. Have you tried it?

Kevin

I didn't try the spacer as it wasn't needed for the taller toilet. My toilet stands on a 4 inch platform.

I'll measure the seat height in a while if I can.

The toilet seems totally stable to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom