Toilet Swap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grashley

As my prior thread indicated, I plan to swap my Thetford Aqua Magic II toilet.  It seems the only two elongated bowl toilets are the Domentic 320 series for under  $200 or the Thetford Aria series for $550. 

1.  Why the huge price difference?
2.  Will the Domentic 320 fit on the existing flange?  The bolts are currently located at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock on the flange.

Bolt pattern should be universal,  I can't account for the price difference, but we have had the 320 (tall) w/hand spray and have had it since Nov 2013 and it has worked flawlessly.

I am curious as to why you have agonized about this decision for so long? 

Are you an engineer? ;D

Do you wear both suspenders and a belt? ;D ;D

Unless the dometic is plastic I do not know. the Tetford one is china bowl full residential (Get a replacement at Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Joe's hardware Et-al) seat.

And yes they all fit the standard flange.

Just upgraded. I use a "Low profile" and the only low profile they had in stock was a different Tetford. not as enlongated but better than the one that came with the RV.. I've been using it for about a week now and happy with it.. I had to change the flange but for other reasons (old one was broken) new one is a standard. IN fact it's the same as I'd use if I were plumbing a sticks and bricks. I have a spare too.

Thetford used to have a chart available showing which models could be replaced by their other models, but I can no longer find that in a brief search. What I do know is that the Dometic 300 series did not match the pattern used by the Thetford Aurora model when I changed mine out several years ago. Some mods of the "glued in' base plate ring were necessary.

Details: http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,87175.msg786175.html#msg786175

Tom:  Chemist, not engineer.  I have chronic Lyme and can only handle one problem at a time.  We JUST completed a 25 year overdue total master bath remodel, which sucked most of my attention.  Our son was here for 10 days  for his first trip back east in 7 years.  Lawn mower quit.  Deer rearranged the front of the car.  All in the past month.  Finally getting it back in my sights.

The 320 tall w/ sprayer is exactly what I will get.  Thanks for the positive comments.

Stu:  That is the message I remembered and why I asked the question!

I know I will need to redo the supply line, and likely will add a shutoff valve.

We JUST completed a 25 year overdue total master bath remodel, which sucked most of my attention.  Our son was here for 10 days  for his first trip back east in 7 years.  Lawn mower quit.  Deer rearranged the front of the car.  All in the past month.

So, what were you doing in your spare time?  :D ;D ;)

Gordon,

The thing that gave me the most trouble was the small water line from the supply to the 300 series toilet. The water line fitting I needed on the toilet end could not be found in any of the local hardware/big box stores. I finally gave in and went to the local RV store. He was unhappy with me because I had bought on line and not from him, but my wife convinced him to sell me what I really needed, a rubber, stainless braided line with the correct fittings.

Moral of this sad story: Carefully check the tubing and fittings needed, especially the toilet end, BEFORE starting the replacement. I did manage to screw up the threaded portion on the plastic fitting (actually the water valve) by trying to install a similar but incorrect version of the tubing but was able to repair that so it did not leak!!

Stu:

Do you recall what thread size was used?  My 320 will likely be the same.
Does the spray hose attach to toilet plumbing or to the supply before the water valve?

I just did the same swap. The flooring under the old aqua magic toilet wasnt big enough to cover the size of the new base, so now I have to replace the flooring in the bathroom. The base on the new toilet is smaller. The old water line came off the toilet pointing straight down at the rear. The new one comes out the back facing the wall. I was able to bend the line until I can get a proper line to fix. As stated the sprayer is part of the toilet. There is only one connection to be made.

grashley said:
Stu:

Do you recall what thread size was used?  My 320 will likely be the same.
Does the spray hose attach to toilet plumbing or to the supply before the water valve?

Sorry, I don't remember the size and I am 1800 miles away from the trailer!! The line actually threads to the water valve itself.

Other web sites suggested that most RV toilets have ?" MPT threads.  This is the same as most home sink faucets have.

The standard toilet connection will not work - too big.
The standard sink connection DID work on my toilet, but look for deeper than normal  nuts if you can.  I only got about 1 full turn, but I expect it to hold.

Tomorrow - install!

To close the loop....
Got the new toilet installed this evening.  SIMPLE TASK thanks to the advise / warnings received here.

?" SharkBite shutoff valve to 3/8 Comp ....3/8 comp braided line to SINK ?" FPT. 

Perfect fit - no issues other than getting up and down!!

Back
Top Bottom