Too Big a Trailer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbrdriver

We are currently full timing in a small fifth wheel (Sandpiper 30' with one slide) and have quickly realized this is not the rig to live in. It was fine for weekend warrior stuff but not for living. So anyway the wife and I have been looking at bigger rigs, such as the 2019 Keystone Alpine 3700FL or the 2019 Keystone Alpine 3800FK and are impressed with both. They are both about 41' long with 5 slides so will obviously be a huge difference in room. We love the floor plans of both and have been debating a lot on the two. My question is how difficult will it be out here in the west for finding decent campsites. I know that a lot of the national parks we have been going to will be out, but hopefully there will be other options. Just curious if anybody else out there is living/full timing in big rigs etc. I do have the truck to move up by the way, I have a 2017 Ram 3500 dually long bed so I should be fine there.....

Thanks for including your rig info!  You can create a signature by clicking on Profile near the top of the page.  This will be added to all of your posts.

While NP camps may be out, there are almost always nearby privately owned CG that will gladly accommodate you.

Have you considered gently used?  Let someone else get the factory glitches fixed and pay the first year depreciation.

I just realized that 2PawsRiver pretty much is talking about the same question on his post about "convincing my wife that size matters" so I reckon I just need to read all the responses to his post. I guess it does come down to being happy with a great floorplan that you can live with and take it from there...... 8)

I'm one of those Westerners.  Upgraded from a Class C.  Bought the trailer (41ft Montana 3402RL) in Reno, NV, pulled it up and down the west, then a trip to Florida by way of South Dakota, Montana, etc.  and back thru Colorado, Utah.....  We never had trouble finding accommodations.  Biggest issue was clearance.  These things are long, and sharp corners and close trees can be a headache.  Several were not pull-thru, but backing is getting easier each time I do it.  As far as size inside, it's kinda like a luxury hotel every night.  Big difference inside and LOTS more storage as well.  Floor plan was a big factor for us. 

The more upscale parks always have sites to accommodate big rigs, cause they cater to that crowd.  And there are parks in the mid and upper price tiers most everywhere, including near most popular national parks.    The size of trailers and coaches have been steadily increasing and many private campgrounds have upgraded site sizes (and added 50A electric and sewer as well) to remain competitive. State and national parks, with more limited budgets, have not always kept up as well, but even many of them handle 40 foot rigs well enough. We've stayed in more than a few with a 40 foot motorhome.

You might also look on Recreation.gov and sample through some non-private campgrounds in areas you want to go.  You can select trailer sites and put in the length to see if anything comes up.  This is for Forest Service campgrounds and the like.

Personal opinion ...  we wouldn't go over 40 ft.  Our 35ft 5th wheel with three slides is perfect for the two of us for long-term travel.  We love the floor plan and that makes a huge difference.

Thanks for all the replies. I am currently a big rig truck driver by the way so I do have experience in that department. I do believe floor plan and storage both inside and out is important if you are gonna be full-timing plus quality. Our research is still ongoing. Thanks again!

MN Blue Skies said:
Personal opinion ...  we wouldn't go over 40 ft.  Our 35ft 5th wheel with three slides is perfect for the two of us for long-term travel.  We love the floor plan and that makes a huge difference.
I am considering shorter ones too like yours. We have looked at some Cougars. We also want one with washer/dryer prep too. Seems like they have to be at least 36 ft. to get that...?.

We have friends with 36 ft, 4 or 5 slide trailers and they seem enormous,  as much living space as our 40 ft coach.  It's a bit hard for me to imagine how spacious a 43 footer must be.

I have been looking at the Grand Design Momentum 351M toy hauler as my next one.  It has three slides, as well as three awnings and the back patio.  Those are important since I like to do outdoor entertaining and cooking but like to be comfortable if the weather is bad.

Well we went ahead and did it I reckon. We bought the 2019 Keystone Alpine 3700FL and moving in it as we speak. Seemed to have no problems getting it into my wife's property where our other one is currently parked. It is definitely more storage friendly inside and out and now I feel we will be self-contained wherever we travel now. Thanks for all the input especially you all that have big rigs yourself. Happy trails......

Back
Top Bottom