Too high and too small awning for Oregon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConstantPain

Hello members. My name is Connie. We have 36' 2015 Class A Coachmen Sportscoach. We live in Oregon and usually camp in Oregon with 3 kids. Ages 10, 11, & 13. Our awning is so small (I think it's 16') and so high it hardly covers rain away from the door. Would really like to extend our awning on the coach. Is that a possibility and what's the largest electric awning (length & width) we could carry?
Would appreciate any help.
Thanks in advance,
Constant. =)

You need to go look. There is a rail the awning is attached to. Usually the MFG calculates how long it can be and uses that length. Things like doors, slide outs usually interfere with awning length. As for how high up it is, again it is usually placed high enough to work and not block windows etc.
You might consider carrying a 12x12 fold up awning and put that out instead. When we were camp hosting in Oregon state parks 12 would put out awning out and a 12x12 dining canopy over the table and gas grill. Used then all summer that way.

It is likely your current awning length and width are the maximum allowed for your rig due to the things Donn noted. Like him, I recommend a separate shelter. We use a Clam which can be put up in a couple of minutes.

You need to go look. There is a rail the awning is attached to. Usually the MFG calculates how long it can be and uses that length. Things like doors, slide outs usually interfere with awning length. As for how high up it is, again it is usually placed high enough to work and not block windows etc.
You might consider carrying a 12x12 fold up awning and put that out instead. When we were camp hosting in Oregon state parks 12 would put out awning out and a 12x12 dining canopy over the table and gas grill. Used then all summer that way.
You are right. I never even considered all other things that would be involved. LOL. We will continue using our portables. =) I'm glad I asked. Thank you Donn.

Another option is to attach an 18 inch long X the length of the awning at the roller groove,, this piece rolls up and stays with the awning.. When deployed, you zipper another length that reaches the ground to the first and it stakes out to make a very nice semi enclosed area with plenty of shade.. They can be bought at most RV supply houses and are made of a porous screen like material that blocks 60% of suns ray's.>>>Dan

Here's are examples of the awning shade that Utclmjmpr described. A bit of extra work but they do a nice job of sun protection and help with rain as well.

You might be able to retrofit to a manual awning. They can be positioned at a big downward slope closer to the ground. So you actually get more shade coverage. Being manual means a little more work but less work than putting up a shade tent.

If you should go with the shade screen. I’d recommend one that has the zipper. When you unzip the bottom section, which is called the drop, the short top piece stays right with the awning and just rolls up with it. When deploying the awning just zip on the drop. It’s real easy with two people.

You might be able to retrofit to a manual awning. They can be positioned at a big downward slope closer to the ground. So you actually get more shade coverage. Being manual means a little more work but less work than putting up a shade tent.
As long as it can also clear slides, doors, etc.

Another advantage to the add on shade is when staked to the ground, an unexpected gust of wind won't damage the awning..>>>Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom