tool list

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wally12

we are headed across the country from Calif and expext to be on the road for 3 to 4 months. I am looking for a list of the most invaluable tools I should carry without loading the entire garage ( my wife has already loaded her complete sewing room )
Thanks
Wally

I'm sure you'll get posts with ideas, however I find that my Leatherman tool does most of the work I need. Yes, I have a tool box with the ordinary stuff like sockets, wrenches, screw drivers, etc. I selected the tool box for having the proper tools to fix the truck and rig. Plumbing and electrical tools are essential...as far as my experiences are concerned. Again, the Leatherman gets used several times each day and has been a life saver for us....FYI

I should 'google' this to find out, but I'll risk displaying my ignorance publicly - what is a "Leatherman" tool?? Woodworking is my hobby and I thought I'd heard about most tools but I've never heard of that one before. ???

Leatherman tools?  Click HERE and all shall be revealed.

Other than that?

A combination wrench set.
A 1/2 socket wrench and sockets.
A changable bit screw driver set.  Include square drive bits, a lot of square drive screws are used in RVs.
A multimeter.
A 3-lamp AC circuit tester.
A combination wire cutter and stripper and connection crimper.
A light 8-12 oz ball peen hammer

And most useful of all, a pair of 13" curve jawed Channel Lock pliers for wrestling with hose connections and plumbing.

And a gazillion other goodies that might prove handy some day. 

Finally, a strong willing lad  to carry the toolbox.  ;D

rickd said:
... what is a "Leatherman" tool?

Rick, a leatherman is a multi-purpose tool that folds into a belt holster. Kinda like a swiss army knife, but with pliers and a few other more 'useful' tools. I don't own one myself, but do tease my SIL who wears one on his belt along with his mini maglite. I even sing "the Leatherman song" (my takeoff on the theme from Spiderman or one of those other cartoon characters kids watch) whenever he removes it from its holster.

I guess I was always taught to use the right tool for the job. A Leatherman doesn't seem to fit that description no matter what job I'm working on.

Well Rick, Carl gave the link. There are other types ( Gerber for one) that make copies but I would go with the leatherman. Kind of a better Swiss Army knife:) They aren't cheap and are available at Wal Mart and hardware stores. I find that the pliers are the most handy. Seems like I always need pliers for something:).............Yeah, I do a lot of woodworking and didn't discover the Leatherman until I got one as a Christmas present about 10 years ago....so don't feel too bad ;)

I guess I was always taught to use the right tool for the job. A Leatherman doesn't seem to fit that description no matter what job I'm working on.

Myself. 

I have always thought of Leatherman tools as the thing you take if you cannot take anything else -- like backpacking.  It is sort of a Swiss Army knife with pliers.

While we are on the subject, let me add a heavy bladed 3- 4" lock-back folding knife.  It is more for camp living than RV maintenance, but I find mine of use on most every trip for jobs that most jackknives are really too light for.  I like the kind that can be opened one handed.  Here is one of the best makes, Benchmade.  Their basic line can be seen HERE.

Yes, I also carry a serraded type locking knife...but the leatherman is used a lot more. I always use the right tool for the job and carry a full compliment. However, the leatherman is used many times a day. I know they are military issue now and do wonders.....as far as I'm concerned. Keep in mind we do a lot of boondocking and the LM is great for fishing also..............If you don't own one, I'd suggest trying it........you'll be lost without it................at least I am ;)

woodartist said:
If you don't own one, I'd suggest trying it........you'll be lost without it......

I don't own one and I'm not lost without it  ;D

As for fishing, I use the right tools for that too, but they cost less than a Leatherman  ;)

Well Tom...I'd give it a try. You don't know what you're missing ;D We are the "fair weather" type of fishing people. We are the people who Thoreau was talking aout when he said " some people fish a lifetime and don't realize it isn't the fish they are after." ;)

One item that has been very helpful to me over the years is Bob Livingston's Repair manual. http://tinyurl.com/rfrzw

It has a wealth of info, especially if you run into plumbing problems.

Don't forget the WD40 and duct tape. We joke about it but I have used in a few times in serious situations.

A related item that is good to have is plumbing strapping as it has a lot of uses in fixing stuff that come loose. http://tinyurl.com/lcamm

I would get a small container of assorted screws, bolts, etc.

I always carry a cordless multi purpose drill with plenty of drywall type screws and other screws. I have had to reassemble a few cabinets or shore them up from the rough roads.

Don't get me wrong. I am not a mechanic or rebuilder but the above items have saved me several times in serious situations.

Bob

How could anyone forget the duct tape Bob...excellent suggestion!!!! Yes, I keep a box of assorted hardware that comes in handy.....but I have to say the tape has saved us in some emergency situations. I carry a ton of tools and supplies and don't know if teflon tape ( for plumbing) and electrical tape is over kill or not. I have used it a lot though......Of course we do a lot of boondocking and aren't near stores most of the time.....Duct tape.....good suggestion ;)

Thanks for the replies filling me in on "leatherman" tools!  Looks like an interesting piece of equipment, I'll have to check that out the next time I'm in a Walmart!

We should have gotten a pic of my trailer last Jan at the Q  now that's what you call a tool kit.

Since we're going beyond tools, here's a list of other stuff for the toolbox provided by forum members.
[edit]Link update[/edit]

Just goes to show I'm not selective in what I report  ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom