Top Ten Gadgets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

What would you include among the top ten gadgets in an RV.

Not necessary accessories, spare parts or sensible paraphenalia...but decadent toys

Steve:

Everything I buy for the RV is a NECESSITY I can''t do without! ;) ;) ;)

>>Everything I buy for the RV is a NECESSITY I can''t do without!<<

Yeah, yeah, me too...I'm very sensible too!  {LOL}

But what about RV's with a fireplace, a dishwasher, a wine cooler...OK a wine cooler is a necessity... ;D

From my female perspective and nearly 2 years of full timing in this motor home the top 10 "toys"  I require in the rig are;  a decent wine opener, two tivos (his and hers) , my own computer, an INTERNET satellite dish, my crock pot, a creme brule torch, a weather station sensor thingy, remote controlled ipod, a large pantry of canned goods, a photo printer,  and my very own bay. I could go on with additional requirements but the question was top 10.  These  priorities may vary from day to day as well.  Glad you asked.

Betty Brewer

Jeff /Washington said:
>>> creme brule torch <<<

OK, that would rate as a decadent toy...LOL

How about dual TIVO's? :)

Not good at all... Better is Dual REPLAY TV units, (Advantage, they can stream shows between each other and/or a computer server (both ways as well) so you can record on your "Front Room" Replay and watch on the bedroom, Record on the bedroom, store on the Computer's hard drive and watch (later, and over and over) in the front room or burn to DVD with the computer.

Yes, my Damon will have dual replays

Already have the creme brule torch and appropriate dishes.  That goes in.  Not just for caramelizing, but great for heat shrink tubing.  I like my wireless remote temp sensors.  One for fridge, one for freezer, and one in winter for tanks.  Not really decadent I guess.  How about portable campfire?  Propane flame, ceramic logs. 

I see maore and more of the fireplaces, but they are all just electric fake flames, how about the propane flamed like I have in my house?  Then again, these will bake you out, the fake might be better.

As it happens I just bought a propane campfire (Good for places and/or times when a log fire just would not be right)

I mean, with the propane fire I can set up a demo camp in a parking lot and not worry about the damage from the campfire

I also just got my Pressure Pro Tire Sensors hooked up and programmed and working... So I can not check my tire pressure, from the driver's seat, at 60 MPH if I choose (or any other speed)

John In Detroit said:
I also just got my Pressure Pro Tire Sensors hooked up and programmed.. So I can not check my tire pressure, from the driver's seat

If I bought and installed PP and I couldn't check my tire pressures, I'd ask for my money back  ;D

John:

Where did you get your pressure pro and how much did it cost you?  I assume that was a typo in your message and it is working fine.

Also can you provide more info on the propane campfire?  Size, wieght, cost, effectiveness, where to buy,etc.

John In Detroit said:
So I can not check my tire pressure, from the driver's seat, at 60 MPH if I choose (or any other speed)

John

I hope you meant to type that you can NOW check your air pressure..at 60MPH ;D ;D I usually do that once or twice a day with my PressurePro when on the road.

Bernie

That's the way I read it. My response to John was merely my way of letting him know that folks might misread/misunderstand his message.

Tom said:
If I bought and installed PP and I couldn't check my tire pressures, I'd ask for my money back  ;D

Tom

I wouldn't give it back to you, just show you how to work the controls ;D ;D ;D

By the way, I didn't see this message before sending mine, must have crossed in the mail ;D

Betty Brewer said:
From my female perspective and nearly 2 years of full timing in this motor home the top 10 "toys"? I require in the rig are;? ?a decent wine opener, two tivos (his and hers) , my own computer, an INTERNET satellite dish, my crock pot, a creme brule torch, a weather station sensor thingy, remote controlled ipod, a large pantry of canned goods, a photo printer,? and my very own bay. I could go on with additional requirements but the question was top 10.? These? priorities may vary from day to day as well.? Glad you asked.

Betty Brewer

I just read this...I want to hang out with Betty.  Wine and cream brule.  I could live on that!! :D

Svenska said:
I just read this...I want to hang out with Betty.? Wine and cream brule.? I could live on that!! :D

Hey that would be great.? However,? please be advised that this lifestyle does require me to attend meetings... Weight Watcher that is.? I am a lifetime member who struggles all the time to stay within goal. There are just too many goodies to enjoy while on the road and exercise is not always a desired activity for me.? This week? my Bamix and temperature probe have been getting? work outs as I use my Weight Watcher cook books.

Betty

I picked up my propane campfire, a PortaFire thru eBay.  It was the discontinued model.  Not sure what improvements have been made, but hope it is the 'log cluster'.  Unit works great!  Has a removable top that leaves a cook top good for a big pot or skillet, then that ring comes off leaving the log pile.  Used it last Fri night st our Ham Radio Field Day event.  Can't normaly have a campfire.

A real nice one but a bit more expensive has a saucer, the logs are ceramic, they sit in a bed of vermiculite, which glow like embers.  Has a support that fits over for cooking, as well as a skillet.  This one goes about $250.  Mine was $50.  Mine is easier for me to pack in my little truck camper also. 

I am constantly in "Weight Watcher" mode Betty, although not formally.? I have to hand it to you to be able to attend meetings and still travel.? Not easy.? I think...no, I know I would find that many more excuses not to attend :-\.
Anyway..........
Your top 10 list just cracked me up...with it's "thingy" and wine and cream brule torch.
Here I thought I had to "scale down" to the point of crackers and water and an occasional egg or two.?
I'm new at this and I guess the point of this is that as long as we prioritize, we can be VERY comfortable on the road.
oh...and Smoky, we DID buy the patio lights right away!!
Thanks for the lesson

Interesting phenomena, patio lights.

East of the Mississippi, I find them in lots of campgrounds.  When I took my big trip in 2003 west of the Mississippi, I never found another single person using them.  Began to get the idea that it was maybe unmacho to hang patio lights from the awning.  Every night I was in Lava Hot Springs (except for storms which are rare there) I hung em.  As a result, most campfire gatherings were at MY place, which I quite enjoyed.

I don't like my new motorhome awning.  It does not give much protection from the sun except for the inside of the coach, which of course is a great help.

On my old trailer, the awning would come way down and give plenty of shade sitting beside the trailer.  On the coach, once we are past midday, the awning is too high for outside protection in our chairs. 

The awning does have that spare groove where one can insert the plastic tabs and hang patio lites.  I am wondering if I could also find a way to hang a curtain that way.  If the curtain just hung down another 3 feet it would provide plenty of outside shade.

How do you folks in motorhomes deal with this shade issue?  I have seen the screened in outside rooms and do not like them.  I want simple shade and open air.  Also it looks like I will need a ladder to hang patio lites.  I was hoping to get away with carrying just my footstool.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom