Toronto to Sandusky, OH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uchu

Planning an August trip to Sandusky. My younger son is graduating and heading to university. He loves attraction parks (particularly roller coasters) and we want to give him a treat of three days or so stay, all day ticket passes and everything. Any recommendations for RV campgrounds around Cedar Point? - They don't need to be too close, as we are taking our trusty toad with us.

Then, the route. I have the option to cross through Fort Erie-Buffalo, then take I-90 westward. This would take us through Buffalo and Cleveland. This route, I've done by car but not with "George" (which will be towing our Corolla). The second option is to drive west all the way to Windsor, crossing into Detroit and then south via I-75 until I hit I-90, then drive east. This would take us through Detroit and Toledo. Which would be less traumatic, in terms of motorhome driving?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

How about the campground AT Cedar Point?? It's right on the property and called Lighthouse Point. I have stayed there, and all you have to do after you check in and get setup is walk through a gate and you are in the amusement park!! Cedar Point really is a point, and the campground and big hotel are on the far tip of the point, just past the amusement park, but owned by them and on their property. (On the following link, select the Lighthouse Point under Places to Stay, and it will take you to the campground site.) https://www.cedarpoint.com/resorts/lighthouse-point

It's a bit expensive, but full hookup and very convenient, and you can also spend time swimming at the beach and eating at a lot of restaurants. They also have a pool, so it really would be a terrific treat for you and your family. It would be much more relaxing than fighting traffic each day. Plus, you could go back to your RV during the day for a rest or meal or whatever, and then go back to the park later in the afternoon or evening. You could also take a break in the RV during the day and let your son go nuts by himself on the roller coasters!! In any case, I would make reservations right away, especially for August. Enjoy!!

My son has a condo in Sandusky, and we commonly drive the boat right past the park and watch all the roller coasters! However, I usually stay at the nearby state park, East Harbor SP, which is about 15 miles away.

If you take the Detroit route, know that you must take the bridge, NOT the tunnel, from Canada. I drive the Detroit route fairly often, and have had no problems, but can't comment on the Buffalo route. A good place to stay on the way is Sterling SP in Michigan south of Detroit or Maumee Bay SP, just east of Toledo. Both are on your way.

Last edited:
Judy’s right about staying at the park’s campground. Super convenient! She’s right about making reservations immediately. High demand that time of year… even if no availability, perhaps they maintain a waiting list. (Cedar Point has taken its cues from Disney on being accommodating hosts!)
Coming from the Buffalo direction, there’s Punderson State Park a bit east of Cleveland that we’ve stayed at. It’s a nice, quiet park with a few full hookup sites that can accommodate big rigs. Their lodge has a pretty nice restaurant (or at least they used to… it’s been five or more years since we were last there.)
Coming from the Detroit direction, the Cabellas at Dundee, MI is the best one of those we’ve found for overnighting. Two huge lots, one designated for RVs, the other for trucks, free dump station and potable water. We’ve not stayed at Maumee SP but have heard good things about it.

Maumee Bay SP is one of my favorite places, especially spring and fall during bird migration, when it is a bird lover's paradise. It is a major flyway, and birds rest on both shores of the lake as they fly north or south. (I spent a week there one April when the female cardinals were headed across Lake Erie. They drove me nuts bashing themselves into my windows and pecking at their reflections in my hubcaps while I was trying to grade papers. Had to tape a bunch of ribbons on my windows. Dumb birds.) It is huge, and not directly on the lake, but it is good for an overnight in the summer. Large spaces, but electric only.

Sterling SP in Michigan is on Lake Erie and has good views of the lake because it is very open. It is a big family place on weekends, however, but it DOES have some full hookup sites, if you require them.

I would still go for the Cedar Point campground, however, especially since your son likes roller coasters. It is a very nice place, and the campground was completely redone a few years ago. Very posh, as they say.

Judy’s right about staying at the park’s campground. Super convenient! She’s right about making reservations immediately. High demand that time of year… even if no availability, perhaps they maintain a waiting list. (Cedar Point has taken its cues from Disney on being accommodating hosts!)
Coming from the Buffalo direction, there’s Punderson State Park a bit east of Cleveland that we’ve stayed at. It’s a nice, quiet park with a few full hookup sites that can accommodate big rigs. Their lodge has a pretty nice restaurant (or at least they used to… it’s been five or more years since we were last there.)
Coming from the Detroit direction, the Cabellas at Dundee, MI is the best one of those we’ve found for overnighting. Two huge lots, one designated for RVs, the other for trucks, free dump station and potable water. We’ve not stayed at Maumee SP but have heard good things about it.
One warning about Punderson is that while the full hookup sites are 30 amp at least, the regular electric sites are only 20 amp, which makes it tricky in summer when you need AC!! I stay there only during cool weather. They are working on updating electric, but paused last fall for some reason.

Thank you both @JudyJB and @Laura & Charles for your helpful advice and information! I am a KOA member and I was wondering if the Sandusky KOA is worth considering. They seem overpriced, compared to other campgrounds, but they are located within two miles of Cedar Point.

Back
Top Bottom