Tour de France

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

This is the first time in a few years that I have watched every stage of the Tour de France.  I usually record it and then watch one stage each day at a convenient time for me.  I am really taken aback at the beauty of France and the number of eye catching churches and castles.  Of course the race is interesting too but the helicopters have obviously been told to capture some of the countryside too.  The people along the route (those who live along the route) really make some nice displays out in the fields but some crowd the course too close.  Anyway, the one thing I really took notice of is the large number of RVs, mostly Class Bs & Cs, parked along the route.  I am sure there are some who follow the stages along the route but it doesn't look like many care much for leveling as that would be tough on some of those mountains.  It ends this Sunday in Paris but if you have a chance try to catch the last few days.

Bill

My wife and I watch it live as much as we can, and then catch the later reruns if we miss any of the live.
In my younger days I did the 'Assult on 6000" Mt Mitchell seventeen times and on two occasions was on the starting line with George Hincape, so I can somewhat relate to the suffering they go through.
The coverage has been awesome, and I completely agree with you on the beauty of France

On a separate note; I hope they arrested those idiot farmers who tried to barricade the road in yesterdays stage

Jack L

As an avid cyclist I have enjoyed the Tour De France, but since we gave up cable/satellite TV it has been a challenge so I get glimpses of stages here an there.  I too have enjoyed the beauty of France you have described.

JackL said:
My wife and I watch it live as much as we can, and then catch the later reruns if we miss any of the live.
In my younger days I did the 'Assult on 6000" Mt Mitchell seventeen times and on two occasions was on the starting line with George Hincape, so I can somewhat relate to the suffering they go through.
The coverage has been awesome, and I completely agree with you on the beauty of France

On a separate note; I hope they arrested those idiot farmers who tried to barricade the road in yesterdays stage

Jack L

George Hincape - not a cyclist but a name I recognize as one of the greats.  Notice that the name Lance Armstrong has been mentioned very rarely (once I heard it) but I still think the man was great drugs or no drugs.  In his day, I suspect those were common occurences. 

My main question though for any who know - how do they pay for this thing?  It doesn't seem the spectators are paying anything yet the signage alone must cost a fortune plus the labor involved.  The teams I know have sponsors and the overall tour has sponsorship from Credit Lyonais but surely they can't be shouldering the entire expense plus the prize monies.  Anybody have a clue?

I also need to add that many of the roads look to be very recently repaved - no doubt as part of the agreement to have the route go through a certain area.  In any case the roads all appear to be very clean except for the cobbles of course.  We Americans need to do a few miles on cobbles to appreciate our potholes.......lol

Bill

Gizmo said:
As an avid cyclist I have enjoyed the Tour De France, but since we gave up cable/satellite TV it has been a challenge so I get glimpses of stages here an there.  I too have enjoyed the beauty of France you have described.

Wonder if you can't get some of it on YouTube.  I just checked and there are quite a few tidbits on there some as long as 44 minutes.  I did learn that the farmers did not pepper spray the riders - it was the gendarmes who sprayed the farmers and the wind took the stuff back into the peleton.

Bill

I used to watch it every year -I was into cycling for fitness when I was on active duty.  We would ride century rides including Lance Armstrong's "Ride for the Roses" in Austin and the "Hotter-n-Hell Hundred" in Wichita Falls, TX every year.  Sadly, I gave up cycling when I moved and couldn't find any riding buddies.  I still regret that.

Anyway, we don't have television but there are some stages and maybe the entire thing from years past on YouTube, or at least there used to be.

I often wondered about the financing/investment of it myself but there has to be something to it or it wouldn't work like it does.  What America needs is another Lance Armstrong or Greg LeMond to get the interest back up.

After having been away a few years I find that what I remembered about national teams is no longer true.  Riders from all countries may populate a single British or French team.  Sponsors want the best who can win and that seems to be the name of the game in all sports now.  So while there are Americans in the race I don't thing there is an American sponsored team (or am I wrong?).  Still very enjoyable to watch - that reminds me - to go have lunch and watch today's stage.  Next Monday will be a letdown when the thing is over.  Looks like they are already predicting a winner and that makes it get boring.

Yes, I would also like see another Armstrong or LeMond come along.  The guy still riding with a fractured shoulder should get a special award after hundreds of miles enduring with that injury.

Bill

True, Bill.  I think all the current American riders are considered "domestiques" or something or other -not the premier team member but those who help that premier team member win.

Bill N said:
Wonder if you can't get some of it on YouTube.  I just checked and there are quite a few tidbits on there some as long as 44 minutes.  I did learn that the farmers did not pepper spray the riders - it was the gendarmes who sprayed the farmers and the wind took the stuff back into the peleton.

Bill

Yes, that along with coverage on the web is the extent of my following the Tour.

Back
Top Bottom