tow bars

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beerman

Hiya guys. I have a 33ft ultrastar and i will be towing a 92 tracker manual 2wd.  My question is this.
I noticed tow bars go from $50 up to $600.  What is the difference?  is it towability?  les damage to the toad or rv?
I understand about classes and weight but will a cheap one be ok?
Thanks\
Brian

Brian

The major difference between the various tow bars is convenience, durability and capacity. The most expensive bars have releases so that if you are not straight and level when unhooking, you can release the pressure to release the bar. Some stay on the motorhome, some stay on the car. Some high end models have the wiring and safety cables prerouted, most others don't. Look at the Blue Ox and Roadmaster websites and you will see all their models listed and be able to compare the differences between the models.

The A-frame shaped tow bars witha ball coupler are the least expensive and also the least convenient, especially if you try to hook up when alone (you have to get the ball coupler positioned just right by driving the car, but you probably cannot see it). But they work and many people use them regularly, so it isn't that big a deal.  However, once you try the type of hitch that mounts on the coach and stays there, you won't ever want the other styles again.  So yes, they are worth the money if you hitch and unhitch frequently.

You might also want to look at the DEMCO hitch, http://www.demco-products.com/

I have the Excali-bar and have had excellent service.  Just upgraded to a new one after 9 years.

Back
Top Bottom