Tow Capacity Ratings for Dodge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ride Everything

Hi all- I just went on dodge.com/towing and for my new (sweet) ride, and with my configurations, they say I can tow 13,000 lbs.  Is this for both a ball-type trailer AND a fifth wheel type?  With the other makers, usually the fifth wheel ratings are much higher - usually a few thousand pounds?  Anyone idea as to why this is the case?

Thanks!

they say I can tow 13,000 lbs.  Is this for both a ball-type trailer AND a fifth wheel type?

Evidently.  Dodge does not chose to diffferentiate.  However, since few if any TTs have a weight over 12,000 lbs, the point may be moot.

Carl L said:
Evidently.  Dodge does not chose to diffferentiate.  However, since few if any TTs have a weight over 12,000 lbs, the point may be moot.

True, but aren't Fifth Wheel trailers much heavier?  I was hopin' to upgrade to one of those bad boys down the long road.

Fifth wheel ratings are often higher because the weight is carried over the axle rather than behind the bumper. Generally a fifth wheel is limited only by the truck's GCWR and rear axle GAWR, while a tagalong (bumper pull) travel trailer depends on the hitch to carry the  weight. The advent of good weight distributing hitches for tagalongs makes the difference somewhat moot.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom