Tow Dolly advise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johnshedleski

I have just bought a 29ft Gulfstream class c 5000lbs hitch and I need to work out a toad arrangement.

The plan is a five week vacation +/- 5000 mile trip this summer and then sell the RV. I'm a forty year old guy planning the big see the US, mostly vacation for the kids (11&9). As all dads saving for retirement and college I can't take another car payment and I don't have any vacation left after this big trip.

So here is the question 3005lbs. VW New Beetle (Auto Trans)on a tow dolly 800lbs.. Brakes or no Brakes? Electric or Surge?

Regards John

Brakes, absolutely.  Not only prudent, but legally required in most states.

I might tow a tow dolly, EMPTY w/o electric brakes but I want them if I'm towing it loaded.

Better yet, I do not know if your beetle can be towed 4-down (Does it have a clutch?) but if it can, consider it, you save nearly a thousand pounds (or more) and with the proper brake controller such as the US Gear Unified Brake Decelarator you have all on-ground wheels  braking, this is the best way to stop.  Any wheel that does not have active brakes adds stopping distance

To find if a car can bet towed 4-down,, ask here http://www.remcotowing.com

You will be fine with a tow dolly.  It legally and safely must have brakes for your load.  there are many difference opinions regarding electric or surge.  I have surge on my dolly and they work fine.  I would look for a dolly for sale on eBay.  You should be able to find one for around $1000 with brakes.  When you are done with your trip and you sell the MH, sell the dolly.  It sounds like you have a great plan, good luck.  You'll have a great time.

Surge brakes work OK and are less expensive than electric. Don't require an electric brake controller either. Just remember that you have to maintain the surge unit, keeping the mechanical stuff clean and lubricated. If you don't, it will decrease in effectiveness over time.

Electric brakes are probably superior overall and you can get more braking for light to moderate loads (surge systems depend on inertia, so lighter loads will reduce the braking effect).

Ned is correct.  We wouldn't consider towing without a brake system, even if it weren't required.  You're planning on seeing the USA.  You'll be going up and down mountain grades and you REALLY want that extra braking power in mountains.  When you add a couple thousand pounds going downhill, the tow's weight pushes you down and you might gain speed too fast without that extra help.  Also, if you're in a quick-stop situation, it may prevent the tow from jackknifing, whether it's a tow dolly or a towed car.

Hope you have a wonderful trip with your kids.  It will be an adventure they'll never forget and will provide you all with a lifetime of memories.

ArdraF

The Safety instructors told us "Never tow a rear wheel drive car backwards on a dolly UNLESS it is something like a Volkswagen Beetle"

Can you figure out why?  (I will answer later if nobody gets it)

the toe-in on a rwd car or truck will make the vehicle sway back and forth when towed backwards. the steering geometry is set to roll forward and track straight.

Have towed Lincolns Backwards  wwith tow dollies from the 60's in to the late 90's and never had one act that way.  Probably over 170K miles, or more, on them like that.  Considering doing so again.  I can't find a large vehicle other that GM products to tow 4 down.  Can't stand small cars and reefuse to buy GM.  Tried Nissan and Toyota,  no dice.  Don't want a truck.  so I guess I'm stuck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom