Tow dolly hits side of car when turning.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vipergeor

Just purchased a tow dolly and the first turn the fender and car door hit. It’s a pivoting dolly and steering wheel was locked. Tires were strapped tight. Car is a Ford Taurus. Dolly looks like a budget rental dolly.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    361.4 KB · Views: 30
That's not good... Were the Taurus front wheels centered on the pans?

Have you measured the distance from the inside of the dolly tire fenders. If I remember to, I will measure mine tomorrow.

Yes cantered and have 6” between tire and fender going straight. Seems when it pivots the angle changes on the rear side and then hits the more you turn. I only have3/4” clearance from tire to inside of fender so I can’t move fender. Seems like dolly is not wide enough.

I rented a U Haul dolly and used it for one way trip hauling a Chrysler Town & Country. It too hit the doors of the van when turning, lucky the dolly had plastic fenders and caused no damage. If I ever needed a dolly again I think making sure it was the widest one I could find might be wise.

Just to be sure, did you verify that the steering actually locked? Recent years don't always have locking steering columns, e.g. have keyless entry or digital-coded keys. It's also possible the lock mechanism simply didn't engage.

That dolly looks like it allows and unusual degree of swivel too. I wonder if there is some way to limit it?

Just to be sure, did you verify that the steering actually locked? Recent years don't always have locking steering columns, e.g. have keyless entry or digital-coded keys. It's also possible the lock mechanism simply didn't engage.

That dolly looks like it allows and unusual degree of swivel too. I wonder if there is some way to limit it?

Good points Gary. I looked at the picture again and the slotted feature with the bolt might be the travel limit and it could be failed. Hard to judge from the phot angle but the second rear bolt cold be the pivot bolt.

If that front bolt is the pivot it looks pretty undersized...

pivot.JPG

The dolly and car will only provide a certain turn radius. It's not great but when managed well, will do the job. Try to work with the dolly and only use what it provides. There are some variables. Width of the dolly and width of the car are the two factors to be considered. Whether the vehicle is centered will also change the radius on each side.

The swivel platform is primarily a relief for the mechanics of the dolly and car for the turning radius. I had not thought of that option as having a positive effect on the amount of turning radius provided although it may provide some positive amount. How much, if any, I am not sure.

Last edited:
Demco Kar Kaddy Dolly website has a lot information to determine the needed trailer size. Taurus BODY width seems to be about 76 inches. If your between fenders is 78 inches then you need a 80 inch. Check measurements for car and trailer; you'll figure it out. Avoid very sharpe turns regardless of the manufacturer. Hope this helps.

I had a dolly once that the ramps would hit certain cars in a turn. The solution was to raise the ball when towing those vehicles.
Ramps would sometimes drag in low spots when ball was raised.

Back
Top Bottom