Tow dolly price inflation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

irvsiegel

In another thread here I mentioned our intention to purchase a Class A motor home today.  However, the salesman called me with the price of the tow dolly that we'll need to tow our car and it was now twenty-nine hundred and something versus the $1600 that he had quoted us previously.  Another dealer had quoted us $1800 (in writing) if we purchased a motor home from them, but that deal fell apart for other reasons.  What's a reasonable price to purchase and install a tow dolly?

2900 bucks for s tow dolly? Thats absurd. You can buy these any day from $400, used to $1200 new. Installing one is easy- attach it to your hitch, connect the saftey chains and lite wire and you are ready to mount your toad. I'd stay away from that dealer.
Ernie- driving a Wanderlodge and I use to tow a dolly, now have a flatbed trailer

I just sold a used Dolly with e/brakes for $800  Don't buy one without e/brakes.    You'll need them believe me.  Not worth the chance without them.  Most good ones run $1449 to 1896  Some cheaper some higher  no set price.  Get on the net and check some prices and units.

Irv,

Sounds like the dealer is trying to make a little more profit from you. I'd look around for less expensive tow dollies. I'm sure you'll find them.

Just talked to a friend of mine that purchased a dolly with E/brakes  paid 1250 including tax.  Buy the Rv and look elsewhere for the dolly  If you are satisified with the Price of the MH or tell them to shove both  if the wife isn't happy.  Tha'ts # 1  JMHO

Irv,

This guy (or dealership) is playing you for a sucker. "Didn't make my $3000 on the chassis? I'll just charge a ridiculous price for the dolly." Meaning no disrespect, but how many times does one have to be slapped in the face by someone before realizing he's not your friend?
Even if you got that particular combination for whatever price you are willing to pay, can you reasonably expect ANY after-sale support or warranty work? I think not.

Well you didn't say if your car CAN'T be towed 4-down.  If it can, why are you even thinking about a dolly?  That is like having 3-vehicles with you rather than just the car and motor home.  Where are you going to put it?  Towing 4-down is much easier, and I think much safer.

I'd rather tow 4 down, but upon buying our coach and having purchased 2 Yukons- a trailer was a better alternative to tow bar, base plate, driveshaft disconnect. When my primary Yukon bites the dust- a vehicle I can tow 4 down is in order. Ernie- driving a wanderlodge here in snowy Montana

Shayne,

? Do you know where your friend payed $1250 for a dolly with e/brakes? ?I'm not against buying the coach in one place and buying the dolly in another, especially if I can save close to $2000. ?Still, getting the coach and dolly together as a package is worth paying a *little* bit more, for the convenience. ?But how the price jumped from $1600 up to $2900+, I'll never know. ?I know that I should have got the original $1600 quote in writing, but if the dealer can't deliver it for that price, he will lose the sale on the Terra. ?I will just lose a little time before I finally do purchase a motorhome from an honest dealer.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Irv

He bought it in N Dak I think,  I didn't think to ask him where.  If I see him this next week I'll ask him

If you've decided on that unit  get away from that salesman and talk to the sales mgr  make your offer and if he refuses  Walk  NO  Run.  Or buy the RV and look elsewhere.  My theory on buy  and remember I say my theory is  If  I don't buy something for my price  I'm not supposed to own it in the 1st place.    I don't have it now  So  why should I give in  to someone else's figures.  Just keep the MRS  Happy and all will be right.

Ernie Ekberg said:
I'd rather tow 4 down, but upon buying our coach and having purchased 2 Yukons- a trailer was a better alternative to tow bar, base plate, driveshaft disconnect. When my primary Yukon bites the dust- a vehicle I can tow 4 down is in order. Ernie- driving a wanderlodge here in snowy Montana

If the Yukon is 4X4 you should be able to shift the transfer case to neutral and therefore tow four down.

Nelson

N Smock said:
If the Yukon is 4X4 you should be able to shift the transfer case to neutral and therefore tow four down.

Nelson

Hi Nelson,

It's amazing how many 4X4's are out there that cannot be towed 4 down! Many now have electronic transfer cases and are not towable without modification.

Jim Dick said:
It's amazing how many 4X4's are out there that cannot be towed 4 down! Many now have electronic transfer cases and are not towable without modification.

The owners manual for our 2001 Ford Explorer 4x4 stated it couldn't be towed 4 down, however, one call to the Ford service garage and they said it could!  :eek:  Ford now sells a part for around 20 bucks that can be installed by a Technician in about a half hour that allows our 4x4 to be towable.  So when in doubt, contact your vehicle Manufacturer, it worked for us!

Irv, best of luck with your new motor home!

Tarra

My Yukons are 2 wheel drive. I could have bought a driveshaft disconnect, base plate and tow bar -- times 2. Bought the flatbed carhauler for 1200 bucks, about 1/4 the price of all the extras to tow 4 down. I'm cheap. Ernie

There are usually good used tow dollies available in the classified ads of RV sites, rvclassified.com. etc. Or check your local U-haul dealer or a hitch shop for a price on a new one.  Shop around. We aren't talking rocket science here for setting up to tow a simple trailer.

Very true GAry  Also that's why I went to the Enclosed Car hauler, cause I could pull it behind the Trucks  Only now  like a big dummy I sold the trucks  LOL  Figures.  Now  I have  a storage shed on a storage lot.

irvsiegel said:
? ?In another thread here I mentioned our intention to purchase a Class A motor home today.? However, the salesman called me with the price of the tow dolly that we'll need to tow our car and it was now twenty-nine hundred and something versus the $1600 that he had quoted us previously.? Another dealer had quoted us $1800 (in writing) if we purchased a motor home from them, but that deal fell apart for other reasons.? What's a reasonable price to purchase and install a tow dolly?

If it's a top-of-the-line folding model such as this one, then $2900+ is full retail price.  They can be found new for $2,290 + shipping, though.  Like others are saying, however, there's plenty of cheaper models out there.  First step would be to find out exactly which tow dolly the dealer is talking about.

Back
Top Bottom