Tow Dolly problem turning corners it bucks and does not swivel smoothly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishon71

I just bought a used never used four year old Master Tow Dolly. Today I decided to try it out and loaded on my Mazda Miata. When I take turns is bucks likes its notching over to steer. I pulled out the big center bolt which was very tight, cleaned Teflon pads, lubed bolt and put back together. I next loaded my Toyota Corolla and the situation was no better maybe even worse. It seems the tire plate does not move over the Teflon pads smoothly, any ideas?

Lubeing the center bolt is only half the job, you needed to remove the top swivel plate and apply heavy grease to the contact points between the plates.>>>Dan ( BTDT)

Now when you say top plate you mean where the tires sit right? Under those spots are slabs of Tephlon or some kind of plastic. I thought the same thing but I called a guy that sells them and said not to do this because it will just attract dirt and crap to the grease  :-\

The top plate swivels on the bottom plate(frame), the two plates are free to swivel independantly, but must do so smoothly with the weight of the vehicle on it. I had the same problem with mine untill I seperated the two plates and greased them , no problems since.  If nothing else you need to bite the bullit and at least separate and look at each surface to determine whats the problem and why its binding.>>>D

Fishon, try this, attach the dolly as you would to use it by sitting it on the tow ball, then attempt to move the top plate back and forth, with no weight on it it should move freely. Evan with teflon on one surface it will not move freely if one side is rusty, time for grease.>>>D

What kind do you have? Mine is a Master Tow and only the top plate moves the bottom is welded to the axle. I did take it all apart and everything looks fine. Find a blurb below form there sales info.

"Carrying Pan Swivels on Polyethylene Pads for smooth maintenance free operation"

In your case the "carrying pan" is the top plate, so if everything is ok,  whats the problem ???  ( time for grease)>>>

Do you have Polyethylene Pads on yours? How often do you grease it and do you have to pull it all apart each time, that is a pain in the butt - it is suppose to be maintenance free !

OK, quick question to consider...

How tight of a circle are you trying to turn?

Most tow dollys don't allow for a tight turn. When you reach the point of maximum turn, the dolly wheels slide and the whole thing jumps and jerks.

Find a open parking lot and experiment to learn the maximum radius you can turn. Watch the dolly carefully in the mirrors.

Joe

Not trying to turn wide at all - every little turn and then when it wants to straighten out again bam bam bam until its where it wants to be. I thought it was going to jerk the car right off the dolly at first. It might need new Polyethylene Pads. The trailer is three years old but never has been used. Was covered in the driveway with a tarp. There is no rust on the bottom sides of the pan and I have the center bolt pretty loose compared to what it was at first.

Call Master Tow and they said it needs to break in, could sand pads & paint to help so I did and tried again. Works much better now but needs to get some miles on it with a car loaded to break in the glide area - makes sense.

That does make sense.  Thanks for the update and I'm glad there's nothing majorly wrong with the dolly!  I've been very happy with my Master Tow, same model # as yours except I don't have the brakes (wish I did).

I also have a Master Tow Dolly w/electric brakes. I keep the pads lube. With the dolly hitched. I can push the top plate with my foot from either side to move it. When it gets grimey with dirt it will be hard to push. I just clean the pads, and lubricate. Has a worked for me for six years.

The company said NOT to lubracate even though my first that was to grease it up good.

What do you lube it with?
Do you take the tray off each time to do this?
How much space do you have under the tray between the tray & pad where the big bolt is?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom