Tow Hitch Security Idea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gtilflm

I've done research into this and it seems that the various tow hitch "locks" are all relatively easily defeatable, having a boot on your wheel is defeatable, and that basically everything is defeatable in one way or another.

So, the best idea seems to be to make your trailer the more difficult to steal than someone else's. In that spirit, has anyone ever tried/thought of having those other measures in place, then simply wrapping a tarp or something around the tow hitch area? The idea is that if a thief is driving around, and they can't easily see what they will need for a "job", they would be less likely to have interest. Then in a campground, there's the whole, "Why is this guy ducking under that person's tarp?" effect.

Thoughts on this?

In an organized campground, private, state, federal, city, I cannot see someone stealing a trailer. Trailers do get stolen from homes, but most get stolen from unsecured storage yards (or even secure ones.)

There are a couple of really good hitch locks on the market and that combined with the chains being locked up. If the chains are free, its easier to take the trailer almost than dropping on a ball. Gotta secure the chains

Even the Lock Picking Lawyer approves of this Proven Industries trailer lock.

The Lock Picking Lawyer also found this Altor trailer lock to be well made.

Charles

I thought I was smart and used bicycle locks through my trailer wheels and the frame.

I forgot about that on my motorcycle trailer, drove off with the wire in place and it immediately snapped - LOL...

If a thief wants it he's gonna get it. As you said the best deterrent is to be more difficult than your neighbor.

It's the old being chased by a Lion story. I just have to be faster than you...

How about this: Pull the breakaway pin out of the "emergency brake system" (it's probably not called that). Then stow the chain and brake cable, or take it with you. Wouldn't that essentially engage a "parking brake" on the trailer and make it virtually untowable?

Just have insurance. Locks only keep the honest people honest. A determined thief can counter any measure you put in place. Good thing is that statistically having an incident is probably on par with being struck by lightning. If it does happen that's why you have insurance.

How about this: Pull the breakaway pin out of the "emergency brake system" (it's probably not called that).
Not only will it run the battery down and the brake release once it is about 8v or so, it will take the battery to 0v which will do serious damage to the battery. It may also damage the solenoids that apply the brakes since they are not intended for continuous duty.

My power tongue jack has a fuse, I pull it at times. Sure they can take a tool and lower it manually, most thieves are opportunists. Parked at home, my battery disconnect also has a key, easy to defeat but not just a hook-up and go. I also have a cover over my tongue lock, makes them wonder what they might be up against. Bottom line, I live in a safe area and camp in safe areas, I really don't worry because it is insured.

Since I had nothing to do I remembered this:

A burglar broke into a house one night. He shined his flashlight around, looking for valuables when a voice in the dark said, "Jesus knows you're here."

He nearly jumped out of his skin, clicked his flashlight off, and froze. When he heard nothing more, he shook his head and continued.

Just as he pulled the stereo out so he could disconnect the wires, clear as a bell he heard "Jesus is watching you."

Startled, he shined his light around frantically, looking for the source of the voice. Finally, in the corner of the room, his flashlight beam came to rest on a parrot.

"Did you say that?" he hissed at the parrot.

"Yes", the parrot confessed, then squawked, "I'm just trying to warn you that Jesus is watching you."

The burglar relaxed. "Warn me, huh? Who in the world are you?"

"Moses," replied the parrot.

"Moses?" the burglar laughed. "What kind of people would name a bird Moses?"

"The same kind of people who would name a Pit Bull Jesus
1651667077285.png1651667077285.png

most of those barrel lock systems can be defeted with a bic pen tube and a hammer. there is vid online on how it's done. never tried it but my expensive motorcycle lock cable and barrel lock system sent me a new lock system that uses a regular security key because of that.

Since I had nothing to do I remembered this:

A burglar broke into a house one night. He shined his flashlight around, looking for valuables when a voice in the dark said, "Jesus knows you're here."

He nearly jumped out of his skin, clicked his flashlight off, and froze. When he heard nothing more, he shook his head and continued.

Just as he pulled the stereo out so he could disconnect the wires, clear as a bell he heard "Jesus is watching you."

Startled, he shined his light around frantically, looking for the source of the voice. Finally, in the corner of the room, his flashlight beam came to rest on a parrot.

"Did you say that?" he hissed at the parrot.

"Yes", the parrot confessed, then squawked, "I'm just trying to warn you that Jesus is watching you."

The burglar relaxed. "Warn me, huh? Who in the world are you?"

"Moses," replied the parrot.

"Moses?" the burglar laughed. "What kind of people would name a bird Moses?"

"The same kind of people who would name a Pit Bull Jesus
View attachment 153657View attachment 153657
Good joke, but I think that is a Rottweiler, not a Pit Bull. Of course those details might not matter when whatever it is has your leg in its mouth

She's always home has shotgun I just hang a sign from the king pin

Sign says" go ahead F¤€$ around and find out "
received_734512890648614.jpeg

My neighbor welded his own lock for his trailer. That thing is Stout. Uses a regular pad lock for the locking mechanism, but the entire thing is captured inside the part that goes over the tongue. It's not intuitive how to remove the lock just looking at it. A grinder would take it off, but it'd take a bit of time to cut through enough metal to get it to fall off.

I need to get pictures of it at some point.

Back
Top Bottom