Tow Trailers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paul Spr

Probably a dumb question but do you need to insure a trailer for towing your car if the car is already insured. If so any info on average price you would pay for that.
Thanks
Paul

There's no such thing as a dumb question, Paul!

Check your auto insurance policy.  Most include a trailer as part of the coverage for liability and property damage to third parties.

Damage to the trailer is usually not covered - you may want to get additional coverage if replacing it would be a significant hardship.  I self-insure my trailer as it's only worth about $7000 and that's almost as much as the deductable on many policies.

I imagine different states, different games.  In Indiana, my Tow Vehicle covers the trailer as Lou states.  My Trailer is worth maybe $7k, and I pay $200 / year for insurance on it.  Covers theft, me losing it into a ravine, etc.

If you have a loan / lien, I would imagine the loan company will require it.

We always insured our RVs.  Last thing you want is to still be paying for a totaled trailer.

do you need to insure a trailer for towing your car if the car is already insured.

Please clarify what you mean. Is this a trailer that has a car sitting on it, an RV trailer being towed behind a car, or ???  It makes a lot of difference re insurance.  Also, are you asking about liability for damage done to others, or repairs to car or trailer itself?

Generally any trailer towed behind another vehicle is covered by the liability insurance on the towing vehicle. In other words, if the trailer causes damage to somebody or something else while underway, the tow vehicle liability insurance covers that damage. It does not, however, pay for repairs to the trailer itself. You would need separate insurance on the trailer for that.

In the case of a car on a utility trailer, being towed by some other vehicle, it gets complex.  Damage to the car on the trailer is covered by the cars own collision or comprehensive insurance (if it has it). Damage to the trailer te car is sitting on is not covered by the car insurance or the tow vehicle insurance - it would need its own collision/comp insurance.  However, if the trailer broke loose and hit a person or vehicle, the tow vehicle liability covers that.  If the car fell off the trailer and hit something, then the car's own liability policy is the primary coverage but the tow vehicle liability is secondary if needed.

Roy M: Are you required to have liability insurance on a trailer to get a plate for it? I wasn't aware that any state required liability if the vehicle is not motorized.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Roy M: Are you required to have liability insurance on a trailer to get a plate for it? I wasn't aware that any state required liability if the vehicle is not motorized.

Roy M is from Canada (BC), I believe. Insurance/license  requirements are controlled by the provinces and can vary widely between provinces.

Probably no worse than the variances among the US states, though. However, Canada in general is stricter on vehicle rules, and insurance requirements as well.

The TT insurance rider on my automobile insurance didn't cost me more than $50/year.

Gary's explanation is exactly how my agent explained it to me in KY.  Comp and collision on my $25k FW is only $150 per year.  Liability is carried by the tow vehicle.

Thank you all for the info. Just so much to consider and learn before we actually hit the road for good. We will be getting out there soon. Maybe some.of us will cross paths along the way

I have been where you are.  You will make mistakes.  The more you learn first, by reading everything you can find, the more unique your mistakes can be!  You can avoid the common ones!!

Gary RV_Wizard said:

I never did either, but if there is an outstanding loan on the trailer the lender will most likely want some liability coverage on it.  I know because my lender did.  It cost about $300.

but if there is an outstanding loan on the trailer the lender will most likely want some liability coverage on it. 
No, not liability coverage.  The lender will insist on collision and comprehensive coverage for it.  He only wants to make sure he gets his money back if the trailer is damaged; he could care less whether you get sued and how you pay for injuries to others (your liability).

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Yes. I have to buy minimum liability insurance with the plate from ICBC which is run by the provincial government. I can get extra coverage privately. If I am towing and the trailer causes damage the tow vehicle's insurance pays. If the trailer departs it's liability theoretically covers any damage to whatever it comes in contact with. Personally I think it's a money grab but otherwise the guvmint would just up my tv rates whether I am towing or not. Either way I pay. :mad:

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Hard to imagine how a trailer could cause damage when not under tow, but gov't often reaches bizarre conclusions.
Maybe plugged in, in-storage, catches fire, burns down storage facility :eek:  ?  Or do storage facilities make you have a 'renters insurance' ?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom