Tow Vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChuckB

I'm looking at getting a Diesel Jeep Gladiator. It is capable of towing up to 6,000 lb. (Gas models can tow more because the diesel engine is so heavy). I'm also looking at getting a trailer, under 20 feet with a GVWR of about 5,000lb. Does anyone have any experience towing a trailer with a Gladiator? Any issues? etc.?

The problem likely will not be HP/Torque, but short wheel base getting thrown around by any TT.

TT = Travel Trailer.

Also, towing capacity is only one part. You also need payload or carrying capacity. The tv (tow vehicle) needs to carry the people, “stuff”, and the tongue weight of the TT, plan for 10-12% of trailer GVWR.

Go look at a gladiator and check the yellow bordered sticker on the drivers door latch post. It will tell you what that specific unit will carry.

You'd be better served by purchasing a RAM 1500 with the EcoDiesel engine...

The Gladiator has a decent enough payload capacity of up to 1600lbs but keep in mind thats a stripped down base model gas motor. Find the one you like and look for the yellow decal drivers side door jam as mentioned before. That will give you the payload for that specific unit. A loaded trailer with a GVWR of 5000lbs can put as much as 1200lbs on the hitch. a loaded/ fully optioned Gladiator would probably have a payload cap of 1300lbs leaving you with only 300lbs for passengers gear etc, which would make for an unpleasant experience.
Remember the published numbers you see are always the VERY BEST SCENARIO and dealers never bring in base base models because there is no money in them, so they bring in the high dollar, lots of options models so they can make margin. The chances of you finding a Gladiator with a 1600lbs payload are really really slim. A half ton isnt much better

The 2021 RAM 1500, 4x4 with the EcoDiesel powertrain has a payload capacity of 1750# & towing capacity of 9,610#. Both numbers are significantly higher than the Jeep Gladiator and the RAM probably costs less too...

The Gladiator has a decent enough payload capacity of up to 1600lbs but keep in mind thats a stripped down base model gas motor. Find the one you like and look for the yellow decal drivers side door jam as mentioned before. That will give you the payload for that specific unit. A loaded trailer with a GVWR of 5000lbs can put as much as 1200lbs on the hitch. a loaded/ fully optioned Gladiator would probably have a payload cap of 1300lbs leaving you with only 300lbs for passengers gear etc, which would make for an unpleasant experience.
Remember the published numbers you see are always the VERY BEST SCENARIO and dealers never bring in base base models because there is no money in them, so they bring in the high dollar, lots of options models so they can make margin. The chances of you finding a Gladiator with a 1600lbs payload are really really slim. A half ton isnt much better
Thanks, that's good to know. I'll check the yellow sticker. A full size truck won't fit in my garage and my HOA "frowns" on parking on the street or the driveway, so I'll get calls and letters from the driveway Nazis. The trailers I've looked at have tongue weights between 350 and 600lbs., most in the 500lb. range. The diesel itself adds 300lb. so the total payload will be less just from that.

My guess your looking at "dry" tongue weights. Most of the trailers published numbers are totally meaningless. 15 percent of a TTs GVWR is what you want to look at. That will be a realistic tongue weight.

Just remember that if your looking at new trailers the published numbers are" as they leave the factory for a typical model. Dealer installed options are not included " in that weight and they are using the empty trailer weight and of course your going to load the trailer with a battery or 2 propane, water, pots, pans,dishes, food, booze etc. Which is why using the gvwr of the trailer is the safer number when calculating and even that Ram 1/2 ton with a 1750lb payload is impossible to find.
A few years ago i wanted a base model Silverado with the highest payload i could get as a work truck. No options except a trailer hitch for a cargo trailer. I didnt want a 2500 because i was only using it occasionally to pull and i wanted fuel mileage in town. It took me every dealership within 1000miles of home to find one, because nobody had one and nobody could be bothered to find me one because as a dealership they were only making $250 on a rat truck. I did find one eventually lol

We recently bought a 2021 Gladiator Sport S with the Max Tow package (gas engine, not diesel) because we needed a mid-size pickup that would fit in our garage and would tow a smaller camper. This model Gladiator has the max towing capacity of the line, with max GTW of 7,650 and max tongue 765. We haven't bought our camper yet (still looking), but are looking at something with a max GVWR around 5,000.

We bought a 2020 Gladiator Sport S with the Max Tow package (gas]. Wanted to be able to fit into our garage that previously housed a 2013 Honda CR-V. The Jeep is actually easier to park in the garage than the CR-V. Visibility if much better. We just made a trek from Cut n Shoot, Texas to Cloudcroft, NM and back (1500 miles +/-]. We pulled a Jayflight 19RB, 21 ft long b to tongue. See photo attached. Cloudcroft is at 9000 ft elevation.. Trailer rated at 6000 lb. We did not haul water, but had only 1 of 2 propane bottles full. No problem towing, vehicle display said we averaged 12.7 miles per gallon. I'm pleased with that. A point to consider: the width of your future trailer. Mine is 8ft wide. I suggest that you consider a 7 ft wide model. I have extensions on my stock mirrors, I even installed a rear view camera. I still had difficulty in backing the trailer. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• Jeep +.jpg
    Jeep +.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 10
Actually, at 137.5 inches, the Gladiator wheelbase, is not particularly short. My 2003 RAM 2500 single cab long bed (and all third generation RAMs, 2003-2009) either single cab/long bed -or- quad cab/short bed (EXTREMELY common configuration on the road today) have a 140 inch wheelbase. The difference is weight. I'm sure my RAM has more weight on the rear (2860 lbs) than the Jeep does. Also the Jeep appears to have a lot of distance between the axle and the hitch ball, but I would have to measure it in real life.

Charles

A gladiator is just a Jeep version of a Ram 1/2 ton pickup, just different looking, same payload same motors just different approaches. Like GMC and Chevy but give them credit they make them different enough to appeal to 2 totally different demographics unlike GM Sierra and Silverado

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom