Tow Vehicle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

temberwolf

Bought a 2005 Pilgrim travel trailer 27Ft end to end (9500 lbs loaded). Pulling with a 5.03 Tahoe which is too small. Considering a diesel F250, GMC/ Chev 2500 or Dodge. What is considered the best of the group as a tow vehicle? Thanks!

Considering a diesel F250, GMC/ Chev 2500 or Dodge. What is considered the best of the group as a tow vehicle? Thanks!

They are all excellent trucks and any diesel model will be more than adequate for your 9500 lb trailer, so you can choose based on your preference for interior and exterior amenities.  Competition in the pick-up truck market is fierce and buyers have benefitted with a choice of three major brands of well built, powerful haulers that are comfortable to drive.

The difference between GMC, Mopar, and Ford is almost a matter of religious conviction.  For real comparisons go to the Trailer Life Tow Rating tables and compare the actual ratings.  This is advisable anyway because factors like 4wd, rear end ratios, and cab configuration can make a big diffence in the ratings of the vehicles.  See the tables by clicking HERE.

Another factor is the dealer coverage in your area.  I live in Southern California.  Ford and to a lesser extent GMC are present in decent number.  Mopar has almost given up on our market except for Jeep.    Based on that, I buy Fords tho I have owned Mopars.

Carl Lundquist said:
The difference between GMC, Mopar, and Ford is almost a matter of religious conviction.? ?For real comparisons go to the Trailer Life Tow Rating tables and compare the actual ratings.? This is advisable anyway because factors like 4wd, rear end ratios, and cab configuration can make a big diffence in the ratings of the vehicles.? ?See the tables by clicking HERE.

Another factor is the dealer coverage in your area.? I live in Southern California.? Ford and to a lesser extent GMC are present in decent number.? Mopar has almost given up on our market except for Jeep.? ? Based on that, I buy Fords tho I have owned Mopars.

Thanks Carl: excuse my ignorance, but what is a Mopar. I'm also living in So. Cal. I have been hot to buy Ford, but have spoken to several people who say Ford's had some issues with their diesels and to stay away?? Thanks for your feedback!

I betray my age. ? ;D

Mopar is now Mercedes-Chrysler. ?Mopar is the old name for the Plymouth/Dodge/Chrysler models and parts. ?

As far as Ford diesels are concerned, I will pass to the forum's diesel gurus, who hopefully will be along shortly.  A turbo diesel is a good choice for out here in the west.

I'm far from being a diesel genius let alone a genius, but Ford diesel problems were corrected a couple a years ago and are as fine as you can get in the industry.

Thanks Gentleman - lots of hard earned dollars to pay for this big bad boy, want to make sure I get the right one. regards!

Back
Top Bottom