Tow vehicles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Totally agree. I made that mistake once and only once. Bought a brand new 2500 HD D/A. Thought I had it all. Then we fell in love with a 36 foot Cedar Creek. Towing home was OK. After loading it up with our stuff and a trip or 2 across a set of scales told the story. Since we were so deep on the 2500 it was new tires. Yes the OE tires were overloaded. Then air bags to support the weight. The final nail in its coffin was climbing out of Warm Springs in a really hot day with all the windows down, heater on full blast going up the hill at 25MPH and see an old Dodge Cummins pulling a loaded 10 hourse trailer pass us like we were standing still. Scaled weights on my loaded 2500 you ask? 10,500 on a 9200GVWR truck. Finally bit the bullet and,bought a dually. Never looked back after that.
Whilst I understand totally about payload, the problems Donn experienced would have been the same in a 1 ton. As far as I am aware, nearly all 3/4 and 1 ton trucks of the same make share the same engines and gearboxes, if you choose the same fuel type. Only the rear axle ratios might be different.

Whilst I understand totally about payload, the problems Donn experienced would have been the same in a 1 ton. As far as I am aware, nearly all 3/4 and 1 ton trucks of the same make share the same engines and gearboxes, if you choose the same fuel type. Only the rear axle ratios might be different.
You are basically correct. They do say the RAM 1 ton diesel has some amount more hp and torque than their 3/4 but I bet driving you wouldn’t know it. And I’m sure a dually has to have more stability but I definitely do not need it, my F-250 is rock solid with what I’m towing and I definitely do not need the read end another ft wider and 6 tires to buy instead of 4. Not to mention the dually is no where’s near as good in 4 wheel in the mud for example as single rear wheel, or snow or for that matter empty on a wet road. Like I’ve said, to each what they think they need or want!
Since I was informed I “can’t be fixed”! I looked up my truck tow and gvwr and the gvwr for the truck is approx 400 lb more that the trailer and tow capacity on truck is a little over my loaded weight. Now if all tanks on trailer were full, which they NEVER are the total weight would still be under truck rating, not by a lot but still under. You would almost think listening to these weight police that these trucks are rated to the point 10 lbs over and they brake in two..

Just a bit of rambling as I read yet another " what do I need as a tow vehicle. I don't really know how anyone not directly involved in a purchase can lock in the "right stuff" when starting out. These "what can I tow, am I overloaded, check the sticker on your truck, and it always depends" responses to the almost weekly question dealing with matched packages of truck to rv has never made much sense to me over the years, with the experience of looking backwards if I want to be confident in safely traveling down the road and across the country. [dang that's a sentence]:D

When I first got into the rv things years ago I owned a 454 Chevy Surburban, leaded gas engine and never gave it a thought about putting a 32 footer behind me. And rest assured we loaded it to the rim until I had what I needed for summer travel and work with all the kids, animals and accessories needed for approx. 3 months time.

The most I ever weighed was 8700 on the bumper pull and never added any weight assist springs, super shocks or air bags . We ran the interstate at highway speeds without a problem. Currently my Ford is rated at 9,800 lbs, on the hitch . But one thing is for sure, I would never put that behind me and attempt to do my particular miles cross country on any given day and do so without a serious strain.

I am not confident in my entire drive train holding up under my grueling needs for my comfort zone and not constantly worry about a failure in at least one part of it. So I think Ford, even though they have sold a ton of 1/2 ton truck needs to give me a truck for testing to make me a believer in those yellow tags and promoted weights . And being old and rarely have no real demands on getting anywhere on a time frame, I dang sure never press the envelope on steep terrains, even with my 6,500 plus or minus behind me now.

So the moral to this story for me, in more than a few cases, people will champion what works for them and their loading. And seasoned rvs will swear and suggest that you will never have enough tow vehicle if they keep a tow behind more than a couple of years. These things gain weight if you keep them for a bunch of years too.

We have a tendancy to load our rvs a bit more the longer we have them, as we find out what we need and use if the campers gets used more than just an occasional weekend now and then.

Last edited:
As a side note, I looked up the available combinations for my truck year. The 6.2, which is usually in the 3/4 ton truck is not much difference for the 1/2 tons. So other than the longer bed in the crew cabs, which is fairly common for the 3/4 ton trucks, there is not much difference when considering purchasing a truck to tow the 5th wheel. Since the Ford trucks have moved to the aluminum bodies, the ratings have increased, but not sure how much, all dependent on the power train, as a rule.

Engine GCWR Max. Tow Capacity
3.7L Ti-VCT (V6) 10,400-11,700 lbs. 5,500-6,700 lbs.
5.0L Ti-VCT (V8) 12,900-15,300 lbs. 7,600-10,000 lbs.
3.5L Ti-VCT EcoBoost (V6) 14,000-17,100 lbs. 7,300-11,300 lbs.
6.2L VCT (V8) 12,500-17,100 lbs. 6,000-11,300 lbs.

The diffence between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton are huge frame,brakes,axles,springs shocks,
The diffence between most NEWER 2007 ish and 2017 ish(depending on brand) 3/4 tons and 1tons is transmittions and springs .
An 2013 chevy 3/4 and 1 ton are the same except for a spring which the 1ton has a extra.
The differnce between a 2017 3/4 ton 1ton 1ton dually and 11/2 ton are huge.
Different front diffs axles springs frame mounts avail rear ends etc.

The "WEIGHT POLICE" are out there and becoming more prevalent some states like Idaho and provinces like BC and Alberta are pulling over unsafe or overloaded vehicles and impounding them . Some insurance companies are investigating claims as a way to avoid paying out (typical ins , they hate paying anything) while there is no clause exclusion on being stupid there is on knowing your over the vehicle limits ( dont believe me phone your insurance company accident investigator) .

Ignorance is not an excuse just ask all the stupid people in jail (except the obviously innocent ones)
Simply saying im not weighing my stuff because i dont want to is just plain arrogant pig headed and stupid.

Last edited:
The frames and powertrain may be different. But looking at the factory rated towing weights is a tiny difference when considering the 1/2 and 3/4 ton vehicles. So this does not give you much of an option in the low to mid sized 5th wheels. Since a lot of people own one truck and use it for daily drives, a DRW truck is not a solution. So you need to be mindful of what you plan on buying for an rv and accept that, which may come with some limitations when looking a mini houses in some of the 5th wheels on the market. Of course the single wheel one tons do not handle as well with the heavier loads from 11,000 to 14 or 15,000 lb 5ths.

Some insurance companies are investigating claims as a way to avoid paying out (typical ins , they hate paying anything) while there is no clause exclusion on being stupid there is on knowing your over the vehicle limits ( dont believe me phone your insurance company accident investigator) .
Canadian policies appear to be more restrictive than US insurer policies, with more caveats about driver qualifications and "proper" operation. All the US-insurer issued policies I've ever had only excluded payment if the vehicle is used in the commission of a felony crime or if the driver intentionally caused the damage. Over-weight, over-speed, negligence, improper license, etc. are not included in the listof things that are grounds for non-payment. They might decline to renew a policy with things like that in your track record, but they cannot legally withhold the payments shown in the policy contract.

I read about insurance denials, enforcement scrutiny, and massive crashes caused by being overloaded. Can anyone on this forum post a link to any such incident that has actually happened? I am talking about the US here, I don't have any idea what happens in Canada

Totally agree. I made that mistake once and only once. Bought a brand new 2500 HD D/A. Thought I had it all. Then we fell in love with a 36 foot Cedar Creek. Towing home was OK. After loading it up with our stuff and a trip or 2 across a set of scales told the story. Since we were so deep on the 2500 it was new tires. Yes the OE tires were overloaded. Then air bags to support the weight. The final nail in its coffin was climbing out of Warm Springs in a really hot day with all the windows down, heater on full blast going up the hill at 25MPH and see an old Dodge Cummins pulling a loaded 10 hourse trailer pass us like we were standing still. Scaled weights on my loaded 2500 you ask? 10,500 on a 9200GVWR truck. Finally bit the bullet and,bought a dually. Never looked back after that.
If you had been driving a 3500 of the same year and model your results would have been the same. Most all 2500 and 3500 share the same powertrain. Only difference between a 2500 and 3500 is different springs and tires and sometimes a gear ratio option. On a Duramax the ratio is the same. You would have been passed by the Dodge with or without a 3500 dually of the same year and model.

I know when the vehicle is overloaded.
Might that be because you know that it is overloaded so you avoid weighing it? Do you only travel alone in the rig so that you won't risk the health & life of those you love when the worst does happen? Do you wear a seat belt, as knowing the trailer weight and abiding by the design limits is very much like that, working to avoid what could happen?

The "WEIGHT POLICE" are out there and becoming more prevalent some states like Idaho and provinces like BC and Alberta are pulling over unsafe or overloaded vehicles and impounding them . Some insurance companies are investigating claims as a way to avoid paying out (typical ins , they hate paying anything) while there is no clause exclusion on being stupid there is on knowing your over the vehicle limits ( dont believe me phone your insurance company accident investigator) .
I spent a week in Idaho the end of July during a 2,000 mile 6 state trip. Stayed in Island Park. Saw a lot of Law Enforcement on the road and passed at least 3 Idaho Ports of Entry as well as for the other states I was in. Never seemed to get a second glance. I was pulling a 37' Nitro toy hauler with a 2500HD and my brother in law was pulling a 42' Raptor triple axle with a SRW 3500HD.

I did call my insurance company about overload issues. Her direct quote was "We don't get into the weeds. If you are insured, you are insured." I realize things are much different in Canada on a lot of issues. That's why I don't go there.

Last edited:
I spent a week all over Idaho the end of July. Stayed in Island Park. Saw numerous law enforcement officers on the road and passed at least 3 Idaho ports of entry. Didn't get a second glance. Saw a lot of big rigs including triple axle toy haulers being pulled by 3/4 ton pickups. Did not see one RV stopped by law enforcement. I was pulling a 37' Nitro toy hauler with a 2002 2500HD. My brother in law was pulling a 42' Raptor triple axle with a SRW 3500. I realize things are different in Canada on many issues. That's why I don't go there.

I did call my insurance company about load limits. Her direct quote was, "We don't get into the weeds. If you are insured you are insured".
The insurance company cannot answer specific questions you need to talk to the accident investigator and even they wont comment on specific cases. And while agreed Canada and the Usa vary in a lot of ways rules and regulations the USA is infamous for everyone suing everyone its the American way. And i have first hand knowledge of an Idaho incident where one of my best friends pulling a 39ft fuzion with a 2016 f250 got pulled over and his rig impounded for being over his limits because i drove from Priest Lake Idaho to Hayden Lake Idaho in my 1ton dually to get his rig and bring it to Priest Lake State park while he went back to Calgary Alberta and got a 1Ton from his shop so he could take his rig home atvthe end of his vacation. Another one of my friends who is a retired RCMP has given overwieght and unsafe driving tickets in cases of accidents to over loaded trucks pulling 5ers the insurance companies have a field day with those because yourve now been formally charged

Knowingly exceeding various capacity limits does indeed make you more vulnerable to lawsuits, just as does exceeding speed limits or blood-alcohol levels, but your liability insurer is still on the hook for the settlement (up to the limits of the policy, anyway). And the plaintiff still has to convince a jury that your negligence in exceeding capacity materially contributed to the damage.

. And i have first hand knowledge of an Idaho incident where one of my best friends pulling a 39ft fuzion with a 2016 f250 got pulled over and his rig impounded for being over his limits Another one of my friends who is a retired RCMP has given overwieght and unsafe driving tickets in cases of accidents to over loaded trucks pulling 5ers the insurance companies have a field day with those because yourve now been formally charged
I would be interested in the back story on your friend's rig being impounded. What lead up to it? Was he just driving down the road and the cop beside the road looked up and said, "wow! that looks wrong", or were there circumstances you are failing to mention? I was in Idaho in July and saw many cops beside the road and going down the road as well as passing some ports of entry and never got a second glance. You said previously that he had to go back and get a 1 ton. If he had a 1 ton, why was he pulling a rig like that with a 3/4? I was in a rig similar to the one you describe for your friend. 37' Nitro toy hauler pulled with a 2002 2500HD. I also saw numerous rigs about the same as mine in parks, truck stops and going down the road unmolested. Something just seems off with this.

As far as your RCMP friend, what he did in Canada has nothing to do with what happens in the US.

Last edited:
As long as you are within towing and payload capacities you will be good. Some will tell you that you need a 1 ton but in reality that would only be the case if you were over the capacity of the 3/4 ton.

I'd like to hear what tow vehicles you all are using for 5th wheels between 30 - 33 feet? Also, has anyone had any towing capacity issues with a similar truck mentioned below, in regards to the size RV I'm considering?

I have a 2020 Ford F 250 7.3 liter Gas 8 foot bed, 4x4, crew cab being delivered in a little over a week. I will be looking for a unit in that length range.
I bet you won't ask a question like that again around here!!

Especially if he wants the truth. Unfortunately many are delusional when it comes to their equipment. To each his own I reckon.

I would be interested in the back story on your friend's rig being impounded. What lead up to it? Was he just driving down the road and the cop beside the road looked up and said, "wow! that looks wrong", or were there circumstances you are failing to mention? I was in Idaho in July and saw many cops beside the road and going down the road as well as passing some ports of entry and never got a second glance. You said previously that he had to go back and get a 1 ton. If he had a 1 ton, why was he pulling a rig like that with a 3/4? I was in a rig similar to the one you describe for your friend. 37' Nitro toy hauler pulled with a 2002 2500HD. I also saw numerous rigs about the same as mine in parks, truck stops and going down the road unmolested. Something just seems off with this.

As far as your RCMP friend, what he did in Canada has nothing to do with what happens in the US.
From what i understand Rob was just driving and a LEO came from the other way and turned around presumably because he was in Idaho with no front plate as we dont have them in Alberta, cop pulls him over and noticed he had a f250 with a large toy hauler. Now all my dealings with Idaho cops have been fine (pulled over twice for speading once in my vette once on my gs1150.) Anyway asked Rob to follow him, took him to the scales, scaled and parked him that all i was told and i went and got him as he went to get another truck. As for other RCMP comment all of ours and your laws are based loosly on other laws across north america and while an RCMP obviously cant write a ticket in the states the same laws apply in one form or the other and you tube is full of videos about people getting overweight tickets after getting in accidents or having mechanical failures due to overloading or inappropriate mechanical practices. And asto why he was pulling with a 3/4 ton truck i asked but got a scowl and a middle finger for and asnwer, so we had a drink and let it go lol

Back
Top Bottom