Towed vehicle front end protection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clintchism

Does any one have a recommendation as to what type of front end protection is the best for a towed vehicle. I am considering a car bra but don't know if it will give adequate protection. I couldn't find any info in the library. Thank you in advance
Clint

clintchism said:
Does any one have a recommendation as to what type of front end protection is the best for a towed vehicle. I am considering a car bra but don't know if it will give adequate protection. I couldn't find any info in the library. Thank you in advance
Clint

Clint, one alternative is to do nothing. I have 16 years of towing two different Hondas and have never done anything  to cover my car or my motorhome front.

One consideration is where are you going to be driving. If I were going off road or to Alaska I would consider something but normal travel on paved roads and interstates has never caused me any abnormal damage. On my first Honda I had three windshield chips and I know two of those accrued when I was driving and not being towed. On this one, I have one small chip and it happened when I was driving down the freeway.

Look at the expense of a bra, the damage it will do to your paint just rubbing and the hassle of taking it off and on to wash the car. Then look at what it would cost you to just have the front painted every couple of  years.

Also walk around any parking lot and look at cars 2, 3, or more years old and see what chips they have in the front end paint. You get those just driving it anyway.

Towing behind a motorhome is not that big of a deal damage wise.

Just my opinion!

Bob

4 yrs ago for my first trip to Alaska, I used 3M thick film on the headlights. That helped but I got rock chips in the paint of the front edge of the Jeep hood.

For this year's trip to Alaska I bought a Roadmaster guardian shield (about 6 x 3 feet) and have borrowed a friend's windshield-only bra.

I'm too lazy to use a regular bra. Takes too much time to keep the grit under it from sandpapering the car paint off.

For day to day protection down here in the lower 48...I use nothing.

We have used a Roadmaster Guardian on our 2002 CRV that has now been towed approximately 50000 miles and does not have ONE chip on it. Two motorhomes, nether of which had deflectors.

It is also very easy to store on back of m/h and takes about 45 seconds to switch to toad.

We use the Blue Ox shield to protect our Taurus wagon when towed.  Before we put the shield on we had one broken window and several paint chips.  Plus occasional oil blowback.  The shield takes about 30 seconds to install after the towbar is set up and is well worth the effort.

Back
Top Bottom